Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who gets excited when they see Gio in the game?
Having him in there late in the game puts so much pressure on a defense if the game is close. He's a ticking time bomb, you know sooner or later he's going to pop one and break their backs.

For this reason alone I'm okay with Hill splitting time with him. It keeps Gio fresh for the second half when we're trying to put games away. However, I sure would like to see Hill run with a little more spring in his step. He just looks slow to me, or maybe it's Gio's fault for looking so quick.

In any event, it's great to see Gio getting involved again. He's so much fun to watch, especially when he detonates a guy twice his size.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 12:21 AM)Utts Wrote: However, I sure would like to see Hill run with a little more spring in his step. He just looks slow to me, or maybe it's Gio's fault for looking so quick.

I feel like Gio and Hill switched mindsets from last year to this year. Last year Gio seemed to be thinking way too much, dancing around the back field, and then not getting much; this year, that's what Hill seems to be doing. Last year Hill seemed to pick a spot and hit it as fast and hard as he could; this year, that's what Gio seems to be doing. 

Thats my non professional observations at least. Neither have looked the same as last year though. 
Reply/Quote
Brad.

(couldn't resist)
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 12:29 AM)Sweetness Wrote: I feel like Gio and Hill switched mindsets from last year to this year. Last year Gio seemed to be thinking way too much, dancing around the back field, and then not getting much; this year, that's what Hill seems to be doing. Last year Hill seemed to pick a spot and hit it as fast and hard as he could; this year, that's what Gio seems to be doing. 

Thats my non professional observations at least. Neither have looked the same as last year though. 

I think Hill just needed to gain the confidence of the coaches back, which he appears to have done so considering that Marvin said he's the starter.  I think they've just been making hime earn his way back into carries.  

I do think that we need to quit running so much shotgun and just hand the ball to Hill between the tackles, which hopefully we do because Pittsburgh is, at best, average against the run, so we need to pound the ball with Hill to open up the pass.

Giving Hill the bulk of the carries from the get-go with Dalton under center will let Hill get into a rhythm, which isn't something we've let him do since the fumbles.
Reply/Quote
Gio has been skinny at the hole and running with reckless abandon again, I love it!

Both backs play their part and we have an amazing backfield duo. They will have the great rushing games soon enough, but why stop Dalton when he is hot. Keep throwing it.

I agree with the OP tho, Gio is special.

P.S. coolest thing about Gio's TD run today is that Dalton changed the play to the run. Andy is the Audible king these days.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 01:42 AM)BFritz21 Wrote: I think Hill just needed to gain the confidence of the coaches back, which he appears to have done so considering that Marvin said he's the starter.  I think they've just been making hime earn his way back into carries.  

I do think that we need to quit running so much shotgun and just hand the ball to Hill between the tackles, which hopefully we do because Pittsburgh is, at best, average against the run, so we need to pound the ball with Hill to open up the pass.

Giving Hill the bulk of the carries from the get-go with Dalton under center will let Hill get into a rhythm, which isn't something we've let him do since the fumbles.
Hill and Gio are going to have to have spectacular days, because I have doubts about stopping Bell....
Reply/Quote
I know I do, there is so much he can do when on the field its crazy. He's running down hill and finding the right holes. More fun however is seeing him split out wide or get the ball in space.

Lets hope his first huge 50 plus yard game comes in two weeks against the Squealers, we haven't see the long run from him yet!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
I feel like I'm not even allowed to talk about how horrible hill is without getting jumped on. Hill is ranking like 48th out of 52 rushers in the league in YPC.

Gio and Hill never switched mindsets, when Gio is healthy - he is better. Dalton got Gio in trouble on subsequent games w/ screen passes where he got blown up last year. He leads the league in rushes up the middle (6.8YPC) - are you kidding me? This is like comparing AJ Green to Sanu. GIo up the middle, not HIll - who guesses this stuff before the season starts?

The good thing about Hill this season is it gives Gio a rest, I'm sure that's "working" for the team, with Gio really only having to play half the game at 100% speed - it will pay dividends. That's not to say I don't want to see Hill perform better, but he hasn't, he has been inconsistent at best.

I see Hill running as he's scared to fumble. It's all in their effing heads. God forbid Gio went down, I'm sure Hill would step up. The funny thing is I'll take HIll for 2-3 yards without a fumble than a fumble, lol. We are now a pass first team, we have transformed into a team that can beat the Patriots, although one way to beat them is to just keep the ball out of Brady's hands- but I think we're built to run the score up.

It's not really our offense that is the problem, our Defense is sometimes suspect - without giving up big plays in the secondary it would be in a much better place. It will also be huge when BUrfict is back, he is a drive killer. ANd with the Bengals O and Pacman returning, you can't give them that many chances. Bengals averaging over 30 a game so far.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 08:37 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I feel like I'm not even allowed to talk about how horrible hill is without getting jumped on. Hill is ranking like 48th out of 52 rushers in the league in YPC.

Gio and Hill never switched mindsets, when Gio is healthy - he is better. Dalton got Gio in trouble on subsequent games w/ screen passes where he got blown up last year. He leads the league in rushes up the middle (6.8YPC) - are you kidding me? This is like comparing AJ Green to Sanu. GIo up the middle, not HIll - who guesses this stuff before the season starts?

The good thing about Hill this season is it gives Gio a rest, I'm sure that's "working" for the team, with Gio really only having to play half the game at 100% speed - it will pay dividends. That's not to say I don't want to see Hill perform better, but he hasn't, he has been inconsistent at best.

I see Hill running as he's scared to fumble. It's all in their effing heads. God forbid Gio went down, I'm sure Hill would step up. The funny thing is I'll take HIll for 2-3 yards without a fumble than a fumble, lol. We are now a pass first team, we have transformed into a team that can beat the Patriots, although one way to beat them is to just keep the ball out of Brady's hands- but I think we're built to run the score up.

It's not really our offense that is the problem, our Defense is sometimes suspect - without giving up big plays in the secondary it would be in a much better place. It will also be huge when BUrfict is back, he is a drive killer. ANd with the Bengals O and Pacman returning, you can't give them that many chances. Bengals averaging over 30 a game so far.

Hill proved his worth last year.  Dude had like 3 runs over 60 yards.  He also isn't all that bad in the passing game as witnessed by that TD yesterday.  What's he like?  2nd in TDs scored this year?  Granted his ypc hasn't been great so far this year, no reason to think this is a trend.  Hill passes the eye test in my opinion.  

When Gio got injured and he got the majority of the carries he blew up.  
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 12:30 AM)TGISunday Wrote: Brad.

(couldn't resist)

But, to be fair, Brad gets excited about, literally, everything.

He's like a modern day Bengal Barry.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 09:33 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Hill proved his worth last year.  Dude had like 3 runs over 60 yards.  He also isn't all that bad in the passing game as witnessed by that TD yesterday.  What's he like?  2nd in TDs scored this year?  Granted his ypc hasn't been great so far this year, no reason to think this is a trend.  Hill passes the eye test in my opinion.  

I think Hill is injured. I think Hill would perform like last year, if Gio was injured again (lol). I think Hill needs to be healthy by the playoffs in order for this team to win the superbowl. Football weather hasn't even begun yet.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 11:54 AM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I think Hill is injured. I think Hill would perform like last year, if Gio was injured again (lol). I think Hill needs to be healthy by the playoffs in order for this team to win the superbowl. Football weather hasn't even begun yet.

I'm more concerned with the defense at this point in the season.  Particularly the play of the LBs.  I feel like we have more than enough weapons on offense everything staying the same.  
Reply/Quote
I've been excited since the day we drafted him.  He honestly became my favorite player the moment they showed his highlights from NC at the draft.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 09:33 AM)WhoDeyWho Wrote: Hill proved his worth last year.  Dude had like 3 runs over 60 yards.  He also isn't all that bad in the passing game as witnessed by that TD yesterday.  What's he like?  2nd in TDs scored this year?  Granted his ypc hasn't been great so far this year, no reason to think this is a trend.  Hill passes the eye test in my opinion.  

I agree but we're not giving him enough carries to let him bust off the big runs.

If we keep giving it to him, even if he's only popping off three yards a carry, he'll have the occasional 10 to 15 yard run, and eventually the defense will get tired or lazy one play and he'll bust off a 60 yarder.

That's what I don't get because, I understand we had to let him know that the fumbles were unacceptable, but he knows that now and he's one of the best backs in the league, so give him the ball!

I really think that we're holding our offense back from being elite by not giving him the ball 20 to 25 times a game.  Marvin keeps saying he's the main back, well put Andy under center and let Hill dominate.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2015, 12:29 AM)Sweetness Wrote: I feel like Gio and Hill switched mindsets from last year to this year. Last year Gio seemed to be thinking way too much, dancing around the back field, and then not getting much; this year, that's what Hill seems to be doing. Last year Hill seemed to pick a spot and hit it as fast and hard as he could; this year, that's what Gio seems to be doing. 

I agree with this post and was saying the same thing the last few games. Since the fumbles in the SD game he wont hit the holes hard. 
Reply/Quote
Meh, I didn't expect the guy to have such a rough time this season BUT I'm hesitant to tell a 6-0 team to go out of it's way to make a RB with a 3.1 YPC average and 2 lost fumbles in 74 attempts the center of the offense. We have Dalton playing amazing football and Gio doing some legwork...don't break what isn't broken!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote