Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals hint they could add offensive line help soon
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/bengals-hint-they-could-add-offensive-line-help-soon/ar-AAEMmU0

With first-round pick Jonah Williams sidelined, the Bengals only have two true tackles on the depth chart right now.

Duke Tobin, director of player personnel, made it clear at a pre-camp media event that the team would be keeping an eye on happenings around the league, per the team's website:

"We'll have to find some. Some of the guys have to be able to play multiple positions. While they're having to compete outside, they'll also have to compete inside. We're going to have to look and see. As we go through the cut-down process and look at the teams and have discussions, we'll see what if anything we can add to the group and if we add nothing, somebody in that group has to bubble up."

Meaning, the Bengals could look to make a small trade for a depth piece or peruse the pickings once teams start making cuts.

One could argue the Bengals could always give someone like Trey Hopkins a shot at tackle as depth. But the retirement of Clint Boling has already placed unexpected stress on those interior guys.

The solution for a third offensive tackle, preferably a swing tackle who can back up both edges, is likely going to come from outside the organization. The "when" and "how" is the more interesting facet at this stage.

One can hope...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Now they are looking for more fodder....hilarious
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 04:59 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Now they are looking for more fodder....hilarious

What's hilarious about them addressing an issue?  Many of us have been predicting that they'll likely pick up some OL help, during the preseason.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 06:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's hilarious about them addressing an issue?  Many of us have been predicting that they'll likely pick up some OL help, during the preseason.

Exactly, making fun of the team when they are not trying? 

I understand, making fun of them when they are trying to address an issue is stupid.

Who was that guy on the Falcons? Sailolo or something, he would be a nice grab in a trade.

Also would love Trent Williams. Doubt Trent though, he would have to be starting, but with Glenn moving to LG early this spring and Hart not a sure thing Trent could start here easily just as well.
Reply/Quote
Maybe if they trade Gio for a pick, they could use that to trade for Trent Williams, along with some other later ones.

I hate to lose Gio, but I think they could spare to lose him with the backs they picked up in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 06:51 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Exactly, making fun of the team when they are not trying? 

I understand, making fun of them when they are trying to address an issue is stupid.

Who was that guy on the Falcons? Sailolo or something, he would be a nice grab in a trade.

Also would love Trent Williams. Doubt Trent though, he would have to be starting, but with Glenn moving to LG early this spring and Hart not a sure thing Trent could start here easily just as well.

Jeremy Parnell and Ryan Schraeder are both still out there, unsigned.  Schraeder has played both Tackle positions, and would likely be ideal for that "Swing" Tackle to be the 1st to backup either side. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 07:43 PM)Kingslayer Wrote: Maybe if they trade Gio for a pick, they could use that to trade for Trent Williams, along with some other later ones.

I hate to lose Gio, but I think they could spare to lose him with the backs they picked up in the draft.

Agreed, we all love Gio but Traveon has a chip on his shoulder for being passed up so much and in my opinion he was the best Back in the Draft with his quickness, speed, burst, pass catching and ability to take it the distance on any play. Traveon is the perfect type of RB to replace Gio if we have to and we do need O-line help more than RB help with those picks. Cannot count on Rodney with his injury history but we added another good RB after the Draft who can do it all... name escapes me at the moment.
Reply/Quote
Pretty much every team in the NFL is thin on offensive line talent and depth. The odds are whoever we sign as a cut will be a practice squad level player. Teams rarely trade good tackles because their aren't enough and a quality swing tackle is more valuable to a team than a late draft pick. Signing a free agent vet like Donald Penn or Jermey Parnell might be a better option but still not great. If Glenn can't stay healthy we could have a Bobby Hart and some 5th string quality tackle as our starters.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 08:09 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Jeremy Parnell and Ryan Schraeder are both still out there, unsigned.  Schraeder has played both Tackle positions, and would likely be ideal for that "Swing" Tackle to be the 1st to backup either side. 

Nice, always liked Schraeder from what I saw of him. 

Think he has been around awhile but so has Trent so I am cool either way.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 06:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's hilarious about them addressing an issue?  Many of us have been predicting that they'll likely pick up some OL help, during the preseason.

There will always be a subset of Bengal fans that are jaded to the point that anything is a negative.  I suspect it is more a character trait than anything to do with the Bengals. Look at the "greatest Bengals forum in the world" as an example. 
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 08:12 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice, always liked Schraeder from what I saw of him. 

Think he has been around awhile but so has Trent so I am cool either way.

The difference is Trent wants to improve upon what is an already top-tier salary, and he's injured at some point every year.  Schraeder could likely be had for $3-4M/per. plus, with Jonah Williams waiting in the wings, the Bengals aren't looking for a star at Tackle.  What they really need is a competent 3rd starter to bridge the gap, and maybe stick around for a year after Cordy Glenn's deal expires.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 08:18 PM)Cicero Wrote: There will always be a subset of Bengal fans that are jaded to the point that anything is a negative.  I suspect it is more a character trait than anything to do with the Bengals. Look at the "greatest Bengals forum in the world" as an example. 

Hmm, I'll pass on that one.  Any forum that needs to name itself "greatest Bengals forum in the world", is most likely not the greatest, or even all that good..   Cool

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 08:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: The difference is Trent wants to improve upon what is an already top-tier salary, and he's injured at some point every year.  Schraeder could likely be had for $3-4M/per. plus, with Jonah Williams waiting in the wings, the Bengals aren't looking for a star at Tackle.  What they really need is a competent 3rd starter to bridge the gap, and maybe stick around for a year after Cordy Glenn's deal expires.

Great post as usual Sunset. 

Sounds like Schraeder fits the best for what we need no question after hearing all this.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 08:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I'll pass on that one.  Any forum that needs to name itself "greatest Bengals forum in the world", is most likely not the greatest, or even all that good..   Cool

Yeah I wish I had found this place before. I see some familiar names from way back on the early days of the interwebs.  I will however continue to avoid the political forums. 
I know who I am! I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude!
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 08:45 PM)Cicero Wrote: Yeah I wish I had found this place before. I see some familiar names from way back on the early days of the interwebs.  I will however continue to avoid the political forums. 

Always do man cause it ALWAYS gets out of hand...
Reply/Quote

Right. If anything, I'd rip them for not being more proactive during free agency, but that doesn't make them being proactive now a negative.

I'm glad they're not pretending everything is hunky-dory. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
They have to add a couple of decent guys or they are punting the season before it even begins and then the teams 3 best players will be yet another year older.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 10:02 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: They have to add a couple of decent guys or they are punting the season before it even begins and then the teams 3 best players will be yet another year older.

I'm not even sure that they need a "couple of decent guys" on OL.  IMHO, just one veteran "Swing" Tackle would get them through.  I have a feeling that the younger OL will develop in a more rapid fashion, under the new coaching regime.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not even sure that they need a "couple of decent guys" on OL.  IMHO, just one veteran "Swing" Tackle would get them through.  I have a feeling that the younger OL will develop in a more rapid fashion, under the new coaching regime.

I’m not too worried about guard but there’s an injury prone tackle and a terrible tackle as the two slotted starters.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 10:07 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm not even sure that they need a "couple of decent guys" on OL.  IMHO, just one veteran "Swing" Tackle would get them through.  I have a feeling that the younger OL will develop in a more rapid fashion, under the new coaching regime.

If you look at the Oline Roster, you have Westerman that played well but in limited snaps. You have 3 others that played mediocre at best and a couple of guys that played poorly. You have some low draft rookies added to that. I just don’t see how this group will not be consistently destroyed and that’s if they all stay healthy, which will not happen. What does everyone else see that makes them believe that they can be competitive?
Reply/Quote