Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals hint they could add offensive line help soon
If they are serious, they’re going to have to do something quickly. Definitely want anyone new going to TC at the beginning to try and learn the new system.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Moving Hopkins to Tackle would be terrible.

The Andre Smith watch begins...
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 10:14 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: I’m not too worried about guard but there’s an injury prone tackle and a terrible tackle as the two slotted starters.

Man, you're just going to have to get past that.  The team seems to really like and believe in Bobby Hart.  To continue to waste breath debating about him is just simply counterproductive..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 10:52 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Man, you're just going to have to get past that.  The team seems to really like and believe in Bobby Hart.  To continue to waste breath debating about him is just simply counterproductive..

Ok but what about my other post? When you look how each guy did on the line that was in the nfl last year? Only one of those guys graded out as decent and he didn’t have a lot of snaps. How is that supposed to be good enough now? I just don’t get what other people get with this.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 10:37 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: If you look at the Oline Roster, you have Westerman that played well but in limited snaps. You have 3 others that played mediocre at best and a couple of guys that played poorly. You have some low draft rookies added to that. I just don’t see how this group will not be consistently destroyed and that’s if they all stay healthy, which will not happen. What does everyone else see that makes them believe that they can be competitive?

It is the main question isn't it? Glenn has played good at LT in the past, he was hurt last season and overweight. Needs to work on his run blocking but he has been a good pass blocker in the past. I think Westerman takes the LG spot with Jerry backing him up and this might not be a bad thing considering how both have played, especially Westerman according to PFF, but more importantly by the eyes.

Price will only get better with more snaps and i have really high hopes for him, very high, big time ceiling, something we haven't had at Center in forever it seems. Miller is a good run blocker and regardless of what people say of Hart, he is a better run blocker than Glenn.

Not as bad as you allude to Circleville and Turner is a good O-line coach when he has his mauling type of players.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 11:43 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: It is the main question isn't it? Glenn has played good at LT in the past, he was hurt last season and overweight. Needs to work on his run blocking but he has been a good pass blocker in the past. I think Westerman takes the LG spot with Jerry backing him up and this might not be a bad thing considering how both have played, especially Westerman according to PFF, but more importantly by the eyes.

Price will only get better with more snaps and i have really high hopes for him, very high, big time ceiling, something we haven't had at Center in forever it seems. Miller is a good run blocker and regardless of what people say of Hart, he is a better run blocker than Glenn.

Not as bad as you allude to Circleville and Turner is a good O-line coach when he has his mauling type of players.
So, if Glenn is truly healthy and if Price grows and Turner is the best Oline coach since the legend from last year. Those are just if’s that the season is riding on, what could go wrong? I’ll just have to disagree with you on how bad this could be. Not that it matters but I definitely hope that you’re right and I’m way wrong. Maybe there’s a young and underrated guy in there that will step up and surprise.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 12:11 AM)Circleville Guy Wrote: So, if Glenn is truly healthy and if Price grows and Turner is the best Oline coach since the legend from last year. Those are just if’s that the season is riding on, what could go wrong? I’ll just have to disagree with you on how bad this could be. Not that it matters but I definitely hope that you’re right and I’m way wrong. Maybe there’s a young and underrated guy in there that will step up and surprise.

Every day that I step foot outside my door, it could be the worst day of my life.  However, I generally play that the odds are with me and that I'll make it home safely again.  

Think about it.  Any player, on any team, is one play away from career ending injury.  Every unit on every team is subject to implosion.  I'm willing to give the new coach and his staff the opportunity to show that they can have these guys ready to go.  In the NFL, the difference is coaching.  We've gotten used to our "average" OL never developing into good players, while we see other teams take players and get the most of them.  Maybe this year we cross over that line?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 06:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every day that I step foot outside my door, it could be the worst day of my life.  However, I generally play that the odds are with me and that I'll make it home safely again.  

Think about it.  Any player, on any team, is one play away from career ending injury.  Every unit on every team is subject to implosion.  I'm willing to give the new coach and his staff the opportunity to show that they can have these guys ready to go.  In the NFL, the difference is coaching.  We've gotten used to our "average" OL never developing into good players, while we see other teams take players and get the most of them.  Maybe this year we cross over that line?

That’s what I’m banking on right now is the coaching and their ability to get the best out of these guys. I also believe players play better when they believe in the system, which sounds like that may not be an issue as it was in recent years.

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 06:41 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: What's hilarious about them addressing an issue?  Many of us have been predicting that they'll likely pick up some OL help, during the preseason.

Because they barely addressed it for 3 seasons and now they make a public statement hinting that they may have to pick up another slug from some team. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 10:14 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Because they barely addressed it for 3 seasons and now they make a public statement hinting that they may have to pick up another slug from some team. 

I still fail to see the humor.  The past 3 seasons aren't this season.  The team has underwent some leadership changes.  Things can be different, they don't always have to stay the same.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
If you're intention is to make a trade, you trade for a guy who's going to be a vital piece to your line. A proven commodity and someone who immediately make an impact, not some dude who might be ok, you can find guys like that unsigned in free agency right now. Not saying you go out and make a deal for Trent Williams, but you're not making a deal for a Cedric Ogbhuei.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 10:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If they are serious, they’re going to have to do something quickly. Definitely want anyone new going to TC at the beginning to try and learn the new system.

I don't really think it's all that difficult for these guys.

Back in 2012, we signed Jeff Faine 12 days before our first game. He wound up starting and held up decently.

...and he played the most difficult position on the line. Center.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 10:14 AM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Because they barely addressed it for 3 seasons 

In the last two years they have used two first round picks on O-line and traded for the 8th highest paid OT in the league.

Stop making stuff up.
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 04:59 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: Now they are looking for more fodder....hilarious

The Bengals were likely fully prepared for Williams and Hart starting with Glenn and Boling as the backup OTs. Now with Williams out for the year and Boling retired, they don't have any depth. It probably isn't any worse than last year, as they can likely find someone perform as good or better than Fisher and Ogbuehi, who were the backups last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 10:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I still fail to see the humor.  The past 3 seasons aren't this season.  The team has underwent some leadership changes.  Things can be different, they don't always have to stay the same.

The team has changed coaches, but the main office leadership is the same. It is not about the last 3 years, it is about the last 30. The coaches are being asked to 'make due' with what we have on the OL, good luck to them as they will need it. 

Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 05:22 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: The team has changed coaches, but the main office leadership is the same. It is not about the last 3 years, it is about the last 30. The coaches are being asked to 'make due' with what we have on the OL, good luck to them as they will need it. 

We're all quite aware of the ownership situation with the Bengals, yet many of us continue to support the team anyway..  

However, since you chose to move the goalposts from the past 3 seasons, to the past 30 years, let's think about something.  Let's say that the Brown/Blackburn family had an epiphany, and decided to sell the team.  Do you really think that some hyper-aggressive owner that was hell-bent on winning a Lombardi would fork out the close to $2B that the Bengals are worth?  And, if such a miracle were to happen, what is happening in Cincinnati to make the new owner or ownership group want to stick around?  Can you name one modern industry that Cincinnati is on the cutting edge of, and a huge employment draw for upwardly mobile families?  Me neither..  My guess is that if anyone ever bought the Bengals, they would be relocated to a city on the rise, rather than choosing to remain in a city on the decline.

So, while we're all quick to want to jump on the Brown/Blackburn family is a bunch of evil profitmongers bandwagon, they are still the only hope for the Bengals to remain The Cincinnati Bengals.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I don't live in the area so I cant comment on any other owner possibilities. But to simply say 'this is all we have' is a lazy argument. You or I have no idea on who would or could buy the team and what they would do with them. Part of the problem with Mikey is -given how useless he has been to the league as a whole why would the other owners give a shit if the team moved? Mikey is a leach on the NFL and does little to contribute to their revenue.

If the Blackburns are going to run the team just like Mikey does well then good luck to us all.

Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 10:49 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Andre Smith watch begins...

Nostra-fekking-damus. LOL
Reply/Quote
(07-25-2019, 06:59 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Every day that I step foot outside my door, it could be the worst day of my life.  However, I generally play that the odds are with me and that I'll make it home safely again.  

Do you have a history of hurting yourself when you step foot outside your door?

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(07-24-2019, 08:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Hmm, I'll pass on that one.  Any forum that needs to name itself "greatest Bengals forum in the world", is most likely not the greatest, or even all that good..   Cool

It does kind of have the ring of "The worlds greatest failure at everything ever." doesn't it?  Tongue
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote