Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals hire Steve Jackson as new CB's coach
(01-20-2020, 03:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Over the past decade:

2019 Jets: 17th in pass yards allowed - tied for 12th in opponent's passer rating (not bad)
2018 Jets: 24th in pass yards allowed - 15th in opponent's passer rating
2017 Titans: 21st in pass yards allowed - 19th in opponent's passer rating
2016 Titans: 30th in pass yards allowed - 15th in opponent's passer rating
2013 Lions: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 19th in opponent's passer rating
2011 Redskins: 12th in pass yards allowed - 24th in opponent's passer rating
2010 Redskins: 31st in pass yards allowed - 24th in opponent's passer rating

Average ranks: 23rd in pass yards allowed - 18th in opponent's passer rating

Only 1 playoff team in this bunch, which was the 9-7 Titans in 2017.

This guy will fit right in with the rest of the mediocre resumes on this staff.

Be still, my beating heart.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 03:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Over the past decade:

2019 Jets: 17th in pass yards allowed - tied for 12th in opponent's passer rating (not bad)

Looks like every team he went to got better his 2nd year; that's something. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 04:50 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: What I like about both the LB and CB hires is that they're both experienced guys which were desperately needed. Whether they'll be good or not we can't answer that now. Talent needs to be added to both positions. At the same time, the last CBs coach didn't do much of anything. A change was needed and I'm glad it was made.

Steve Jackson had 13 interceptions throughout his playing career. Not the most impressive amount throughout a 9-year career but he knows something about going to get the ball. He helped coached great safeties in New York and the Titans have always been solid at that position for as long as I can remember.

It says he coached DBs in Washington from 04-11, which means... he also coached the great Sean Taylor until his untimely passing.

A guy that coached Jamal Adams and Sean Taylor (albeit, elite prospects and would be great anywhere) getting to pass some of that knowledge onto WJ3, Darius Phillips, and even crossing paths with Jessie Bates in a DBs meeting.

Resume wise, I'd say his is one of the better ones on the staff.

For a guy that's been coaching for 20 years, he should have a lot more than 2 great players he's coached, and Idk if I'd give him credit for Sean Taylor, who was amazing coming out of college. When it comes to resume, I look more at team success, both in rankings as well as playoff appearances, etc.

This guy was never part of a great team/staff, and the ranking are worse than mediocre. I need to see more than a couple good players he coached in a 20 year span. Respect your opinion, but I'm not impressed at all.

I do agree we needed change though. Probably more change than just DB coach.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:13 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Looks like every team he went to got better his 2nd year; that's something. 

I guess in 2021, we can look forward to some mediocre DB play. Mellow
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 04:50 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: What I like about both the LB and CB hires is that they're both experienced guys which were desperately needed. Whether they'll be good or not we can't answer that now. Talent needs to be added to both positions. At the same time, the last CBs coach didn't do much of anything. A change was needed and I'm glad it was made.

Steve Jackson had 13 interceptions throughout his playing career. Not the most impressive amount throughout a 9-year career but he knows something about going to get the ball. He helped coached great safeties in New York and the Titans have always been solid at that position for as long as I can remember.

It says he coached DBs in Washington from 04-11, which means... he also coached the great Sean Taylor until his untimely passing.

A guy that coached Jamal Adams and Sean Taylor (albeit, elite prospects and would be great anywhere) getting to pass some of that knowledge onto WJ3, Darius Phillips, and even crossing paths with Jessie Bates in a DBs meeting.

The bold is EXACTLY what I have been preaching.

Kevin Byard, LaRon Landry as well.

Michael Griffin put up great numbers in Tennessee too.

(01-20-2020, 03:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Over the past decade:

Yeah, because the safeties on these teams are the sole cause for poor pass yardage, right?

Stop it; why is everyone hoping for the sexy pick? Like what was written above, we have no clue how these moves will impact our teams, so denouncing them at this point, is simply talking out of your ass, period.

Last year, everyone was up in arms because, "we got a bunch of coaches that are terrible and have no experience." We just hired a former 2 time (for 7 years or was it more?) college HEAD Coach and someone who has been coaching in the NFL since 2001.

Just ride it out and see how things go.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote

Damn rights, I like the hire man.
Reply/Quote
He'll bfine. bcause we're going to take the money saved from not paying Andy and will sign Chris Harris, Jimmy Smith, and Devon McCourty.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:19 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: The bold is EXACTLY what I have been preaching.

Kevin Byard, LaRon Landry as well.

Michael Griffin put up great numbers in Tennessee too.

Yeah, because the safeties on these teams are the sole cause for poor pass yardage, right?

Stop it; why is everyone hoping for the sexy pick? Like what was written above, we have no clue how these moves will impact our teams, so denouncing them at this point, is simply talking out of your ass, period.

Last year, everyone was up in arms because, "we got a bunch of coaches that are terrible and have no experience." We just hired a former 2 time (for 7 years or was it more?) college HEAD Coach and someone who has been coaching in the NFL since 2001.

Just ride it out and see how things go.

I get it, no one likes to hear the negativity about a new guy. People reacted the same way when I trashed Teryl Austin's resume. Anarumo, etc.

I wasn't saying this guy was 100% responsible for these rankings, but he was a part of those staffs. It isn't about wanting a "sexy" pick or a "name" or any other slight you want to throw to marginalize my opinion. I want coaches who have been part of success in the NFL. It's not complicated.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He'll bfine. bcause we're going to take the money saved from not paying Andy and will sign Chris Harris, Jimmy Smith, and Devon McCourty.

Interesting. I thought you said we wouldn't sign anyone with Andy's money. I see you've changed your tune?
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:34 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Interesting. I thought you said we wouldn't sign anyone with Andy's money. I see you've changed your tune?

Or he could be being sarcastic. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Or he could be being sarcastic. Mellow

Ya think?

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Or he could be being sarcastic. Mellow

Bfine doesn't have a monopoly on sarcasm. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:30 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I get it, no one likes to hear the negativity about a new guy. People reacted the same way when I trashed Teryl Austin's resume. Anarumo, etc.

I wasn't saying this guy was 100% responsible for these rankings, but he was a part of those staffs. It isn't about wanting a "sexy" pick or a "name" or any other slight you want to throw to marginalize my opinion. I want coaches who have been part of success in the NFL. It's not complicated.

It's not about negativity, it's about an unknown; we have no clue how they'll perform.

Most people didn't argue Austin, but DID take a wait and see approach; why can't it be done now?

As for Lou, he got the D playing significantly better in the second half of the season, barring the Bmore game, keeping the yards down quite a bit.

There will be a definite improvement in the D this year, new coaches or not, I feel.

Jackson's S track record is VERY good, thus I will tear those rankings apart as much as possible, since they are absolutely not indicative of his units or performance as a whole.

Last year, we were 30/32nd in yards/point given up, but I would've still wanted Jacob Burney around, as the Dline played very well last year on the whole. See where I'm going?

I'm not saying you have to be positive, Shake, but to say he's mediocre because the teams he was on were mediocre, isn't fair.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Ya think?

LOL

(01-20-2020, 05:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Bfine doesn't have a monopoly on sarcasm. Mellow

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's not about negativity, it's about an unknown; we have no clue how they'll perform.

Most people didn't argue Austin, but DID take a wait and see approach; why can't it be done now?

As for Lou, he got the D playing significantly better in the second half of the season, barring the Bmore game, keeping the yards down quite a bit.

There will be a definite improvement in the D this year, new coaches or not, I feel.

Jackson's S track record is VERY good, thus I will tear those rankings apart as much as possible, since they are absolutely not indicative of his units or performance as a whole.

Last year, we were 30/32nd in yards/point given up, but I would've still wanted Jacob Burney around, as the Dline played very well last year on the whole. See where I'm going?

I'm not saying you have to be positive, Shake, but to say he's mediocre because the teams he was on were mediocre, isn't fair.

You mean Eason, Burney wasn't here last year Truck.
Reply/Quote
Now that he is finally here I hope you all will stop complaining about us missing out on him in the '04 draft because we traded back and took Chris Perry.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:49 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You mean Eason, Burney wasn't here last year Truck.

I meant 2018, but yes, Eason was here last year.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 06:01 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I meant 2018, but yes, Eason was here last year.

Okay, I also think I remember that Burney retired, could be wrong though.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 06:04 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Okay, I also think I remember that Burney retired, could be wrong though.

He did.

But he was not offered a contract either.
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2020, 05:41 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: It's not about negativity, it's about an unknown; we have no clue how they'll perform.

Hey, I'm not fully condemning the guy. Anything is possible and maybe this is the perfect landing spot for him. Who knows? I just like our hires to have a great resume that commands respect when they walk through the door. For example, Mike Zimmer had that (despite the Falcons debacle). Marvin had a ring coming in. Alex Van Pelt had a good resume.

Many of our recent hires just don't.

(01-20-2020, 05:54 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Now that he is finally here I hope you all will stop complaining about us missing out on him in the '04 draft because we traded back and took Chris Perry.

Maybe this is Mike Brown trying to right that wrong and he just doesn't understand yet that he got the wrong SJax. Mellow
Reply/Quote