Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember 2009?
That year the Bengals won 7 of their first 9 games despite only playing 2 teams with losing records, and one of those two losses was on a fluke tipped pass in the final seconds against the Broncos.  During that stretch we had huge road wins against the Ravens, Steelers, and NFC North Champion Packers.

However after that fast start we only won 3 more games (all at home) against the 5-11 Browns, the 2-14 Lions, and the 4-12 Chiefs, and it took a td with only 2 minutes left to eek out a win against Kansas City.

After outscoring teams by 51 points in our 7-2 start we were outscored by 47 points in our 3-5 finish.

During our 7-2 start Carson Palmer threw 14 tds, averaged 224.4 passing yards, and had an 89.5 passer rating.   In the final 8 games he threw 8 tds, averaged only 153.8 yards, and had a 73.0 rating. 

Confused

Just sayin'.
Reply/Quote
Was that the year we swept the AFC North?

That was awesome! Rock On
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2015, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That year the Bengals won 7 of their first 9 games despite only playing 2 teams with losing records, and one of those two losses was on a fluke tipped pass in the final seconds against the Broncos.  During that stretch we had huge road wins against the Ravens, Steelers, and NFC North Champion Packers.

However after that fast start we only won 3 more games (all at home) against the 5-11 Browns, the 2-14 Lions, and the 4-12 Chiefs, and it took a td with only 2 minutes left to eek out a win against Kansas City.

After outscoring teams by 51 points in our 7-2 start we were outscored by 47 points in our 3-5 finish.

During our 7-2 start Carson Palmer threw 14 tds and averaged 224.4 passing yards per game. In the final 8 games he threw 8 tds and averaged only 153.8 yards.

Confused

Just sayin'.

The offensive spiral started after Chris Henry was injured against the Ravens.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2015, 01:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The offensive spiral started after Chris Henry was injured against the Ravens.

Yes it did.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2015, 01:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yes it did.

A tale of 2 halves (as Lap loves to say).

First 8: 160/260 61.5% 1,832yds 229.0ypg 7.0ypa 14td/7int 89.5 rating
Last 8: 122/206 59.2% 1,262yds 157.7ypg 6.1ypa 7td/6int 76.2 rating

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Lavernues was collecting a paycheck. We would've been better off paying Housh the extra million. At least he had Palmer's trust. He lasted longer than Coles as well.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2015, 03:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Lavernues was collecting a paycheck. We would've been better off paying Housh the extra million. At least he had Palmer's trust. He lasted longer than Coles as well.

Housh would have been better off taking the mil less.
Reply/Quote
Both the Bengals and Housh would've been better off. Housh should've humbled himself and realized the Bengals knew how to utilize his ability on the field. Would've made him more money in the end. Obviously what he cared about most.
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2015, 04:55 PM)ExtraRadiohead Wrote: Both the Bengals and Housh would've been better off. Housh should've humbled himself and realized the Bengals knew how to utilize his ability on the field. Would've made him more money in the end. Obviously what he cared about most.

Rep
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
I do remember 2009, especially the disappointing way it ended: freezing my ass off in the upper deck of PBS as darkness descended on the city and the Bengals chances of beating the Jets. Lousy way to end a season.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
This team is better than the 2009 team in pretty much every position
Reply/Quote
(11-21-2015, 12:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That year the Bengals won 7 of their first 9 games despite only playing 2 teams with losing records, and one of those two losses was on a fluke tipped pass in the final seconds against the Broncos.  During that stretch we had huge road wins against the Ravens, Steelers, and NFC North Champion Packers.

During our 7-2 start Carson Palmer threw 14 tds, averaged 224.4 passing yards, and had an 89.5 passer rating.   In the final 8 games he threw 8 tds, averaged only 153.8 yards, and had a 73.0 rating. 

Confused

Just sayin'.

2009 was much better than the awful 2008 season of 4 wins.  That 2008 team was just awful.  The O Line improved in 2009 and Benson really carried the team on his back to the play-offs. We can thank the Jets for 2 losses in less than a week at the end. ....Yet fans complained because the team ran the ball a lot in 2009. The fans wanted passing. Seat ticket sales were down in spite of play-offs. So in came TO to go with Ocho and fans bought season tickets....Then the 2010 Bengals won 4 games as in 2008. ....The fans were dead wrong.....It was at that point after the awful 2008 and awful 2010 seasons that I wanted massive changes. Ocho and Carson wanted traded and I was hoping they would be on the next plane out of town.......2011 brought in AJ Green and Dalton and Gruden replaced Brat and the changes began. No, we haven't won a play-off game yet, but oh how much better than those awful 2008 and 2010 seasons. 

I think there is more to the 2015 Bengals than the 2009 team book ended by 4 win seasons.  The 2015 Bengals will go to their 5th straight play-offs, and the Bengals of this decade are becoming veterans. There have been no 4 win seasons for the new Bengals. ....At this point, I can only steal from Tony Bennett, The Best Is Yet To Come And Babe Won't It Be Fine. .......GO BENGALS
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
For extra throwback fun, if we do collapse and end up as the 3rd seed: the Jets look pretty good for a Wildcard Ninja
Reply/Quote
We were 6-0 in the division and 4-6 out of it including 2 wins against teams with top 5 draft picks.

That being said I remember we had a ridiculous amount of 4th quarter game winning drives sparked by BRIAN LEONARD and bug eyed Andre Caldwell
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(11-21-2015, 01:21 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: The offensive spiral started after Chris Henry was injured against the Ravens.

Yep.  They destroyed the Bears that year, and Henry was a big reason why.  When he was gone, there was no one to stretch the defense.  

Another contributing factor was that teams adapted and began to stop the Bengals "#74 is eligible" unbalanced line play where Ced Benson was abusing defenses on cutbacks.  My arguement that season was they needed a pass option from that formation to back off safeties, but it never happened.  

I don't think opposing defenses have "solved" Hue by any stretch.  He is far less predictable than Brat, but I need to see the offense start attacking down the field.  There are too many weapons on this offense.  Find their weakest cover option and exploit it.  I don't care if you only keep 5 linemen in and a back, but spread teams out and attack them.  If they are going to try and get Hill going, I suggest we see more formations with Hewitt because Hill is simply better at reading off a fullback.  Have some pass options out of this formation and have Gio run it as well out of this formation so as to avoid predictability.  
Reply/Quote