Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals in Odd Numbered Years under Lewis
(06-14-2017, 01:56 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Marvin good in odd years ?

No freakin wonder we always lose in playoffs !

Marv harnesses the odd year karma and does his thing kicking butt and taking names throughout the season.

Then the Playoffs roll around and it is 2018 !  An even number year and the whole thing unravels immediately.

Finally I understand the Bengals now.

(06-15-2017, 07:38 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Depends on if it's a odd/even month.

Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Well let's hope Cincinnati can squeak into the playoffs in an even year and then they can roar through the playoffs.
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 01:42 PM)Bronze Bengal Wrote: Well let's hope Cincinnati can squeak into the playoffs in an even year and then they can roar through the playoffs.

Eh, i cannot look to the 2018 regular season man. Way too early, but hopefully we have a new coach then and Marv rode
off into the sunset with a SB win where this talented team carried his lame ass and everybody forgets his lameness cept us. Cool
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2017, 01:42 PM)Bronze Bengal Wrote: Well let's hope Cincinnati can squeak into the playoffs in an even year and then they can roar through the playoffs.

Makes sense.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I just wish he would bring two game plans to the game so when the first one isn't working you can change it up at the half!
That alone would make him a better coach than what he is now learn how to change at the half because if it isn't working in the first half Marvin will give you more of the same in second half as of right now God I hope that changes
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2017, 01:07 PM)The_WiseOne Wrote: I just wish he would bring two game plans to the game so when the first one isn't working you can change it up at the half!
That alone would make him a better coach than what he is now learn how to change at the half because if it isn't working in the first half Marvin will give you more of the same in second half as of right now God I hope that changes

Not too much to ask honestly. Whatever

To refuse to adjust in the game and call it journalistic jargon is one of the stupidest things i have ever heard.

How do you think the Pats won this last Superbowl when they were down so big?

They adjusted and the Falcons did not counter adjust and run the ball.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2017, 01:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not too much to ask honestly. Whatever

To refuse to adjust in the game and call it journalistic jargon is one of the stupidest things i have ever heard.

Oh yea

His biggest downfall in my opinion. Inability or refusal to adjust in game.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2017, 01:32 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh yea

His biggest downfall in my opinion. Inability or refusal to adjust in game.

Stubbornly stupid and baffled by his own brilliance.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2017, 01:07 PM)The_WiseOne Wrote: I just wish he would bring two game plans to the game so when the first one isn't working you can change it up at the half!
A Really Good Idea. Even better if you could insert a period at the end of each sentence.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2017, 07:04 PM)Derrick Wrote: A Really Good Idea. Even better if you could insert a period at the end of each sentence.

[Image: Screen+Shot+2014-01-11+at+8.42.22+PM.png]
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(06-13-2017, 10:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Gotta have somebody be a stat man when Fred gets his ass banned all the time...

So, I've been gone for a while. What did he do to get banned?

As for the OP it's an interesting trend. Hopefully we do well this year and win some playoff games. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2017, 01:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not too much to ask honestly. Whatever

Yep, that was one of the most infuriating things I ever read. I initially thought he was joking, but he was dead serious. It was mind boggling, how could a long-tenured NFL coach (even one as incompetent as Marv) seriously believe that? Better yet, why would he even say it? And why didn't the media crucify him for it? That was easily the "Cmon Man!" Moment of the century. 
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2017, 01:13 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: To refuse to adjust in the game and call it journalistic jargon is one of the stupidest things i have ever heard.

You really don't think the Bengals make any in-game adjustments?

I just saw where the Bengals have been one of the best come-from-behind teams in the league since '11.  That makes me think they make better adjustments than most other teams.  At least since over the last few years.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2017, 12:40 AM)Bryan Wrote: So, I've been gone for a while. What did he do to get banned?

As for the OP it's an interesting trend. Hopefully we do well this year and win some playoff games. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

I don't know what Fred did but we all know he can derail threads and get personal at times.

(06-19-2017, 09:13 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Yep, that was one of the most infuriating things I ever read. I initially thought he was joking, but he was dead serious. It was mind boggling, how could a long-tenured NFL coach (even one as incompetent as Marv) seriously believe that? Better yet, why would he even say it? And why didn't the media crucify him for it? That was easily the "Cmon Man!" Moment of the century. 

Completely agree.

(06-19-2017, 03:02 PM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: You really don't think the Bengals make any in-game adjustments?

I just saw where the Bengals have been one of the best come-from-behind teams in the league since '11.  That makes me think they make better adjustments than most other teams.  At least since over the last few years.

Our Coordinators make in-game adjustments. Marv said making in-game adjustments is journalistic jargon, this is
what he said. It is a crazy stupid comment from our Head Coach. We may make in-game adjustments but in the big
games where it matters the most we are very bad at it.

The Steelers playoff game is about the only one where we did well in the 2nd half.

That Chargers playoff game was inexcusable. To lead 10-7 at halftime, at home against a team you beat in their
place a couple weeks before and to not score another point and lose 24-10 is a complete collapse. Marv sucks at
making in-game adjustments and said that they are journalistic jargon for God sake. Shocked
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2017, 05:22 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Marv said making in-game adjustments is journalistic jargon, this is
what he said. It is a crazy stupid comment from our Head Coach.

He must have been misquoted.  Or maybe you misunderstood. No NFL coach would ever say such a thing.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2017, 06:40 PM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: He must have been misquoted.  Or maybe you misunderstood. No NFL coach would ever say such a thing.

Believe it, my friend. He said it:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/1/4/14153912/coach-talk-marvin-lewis-talks-keeping-veterans-and-not-trusting-rookies

"Question: Are the fourth quarter struggles a matter of intangibles? Or is it competitiveness?... What about Xs and Os?

Lewis’ response: We have to figure out a way to get better at it...It’s not x’s and o’s.
Question: So you don’t think teams are adjusting?
Lewis’ response: No...the ‘adjustment,’ that’s more journalism jargon than truth."

Basically, he doesn't think teams are adjusting. He has likely never made halftime adjustments, and it is the main reason why Marvin will very rarely win a meaningful game against a strong opponent.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2017, 09:17 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Believe it, my friend. He said it:

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2017/1/4/14153912/coach-talk-marvin-lewis-talks-keeping-veterans-and-not-trusting-rookies

"Question: Are the fourth quarter struggles a matter of intangibles? Or is it competitiveness?... What about Xs and Os?

Lewis’ response: We have to figure out a way to get better at it...It’s not x’s and o’s.
Question: So you don’t think teams are adjusting?
Lewis’ response: No...the ‘adjustment,’ that’s more journalism jargon than truth."

Basically, he doesn't think teams are adjusting. He has likely never made halftime adjustments, and it is the main reason why Marvin will very rarely win a meaningful game against a strong opponent.

Just as I thought.  Nothing in that quote says that Marvin does not make half time adjustments. 

I knew there had to be some kind of misunderstanding.  Marvin is simply saying that failure to make big plays in the fourth quarter is not as much about X's and O's as it is about "a mental thing.  .  .  a repetition thing, a confidence thing, a poise thing, time on task thing. It’s all those things.” 

Here are some quotes that proves Marvin makes half time adjustments.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/08/20/marvin-lewis-bengals-health/14368727/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

He said he likely won't have the starters play in the second half, where in the past he would have them play a series or two to see how they reacted to halftime adjustments 
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2017, 01:30 AM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: Just as I thought.  Nothing in that quote says that Marvin does not make half time adjustments. 

I knew there had to be some kind of misunderstanding.  Marvin is simply saying that failure to make big plays in the fourth quarter is not as much about X's and O's as it is about "a mental thing.  .  .  a repetition thing, a confidence thing, a poise thing, time on task thing. It’s all those things.” 

Here are some quotes that proves Marvin makes half time adjustments.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2014/08/20/marvin-lewis-bengals-health/14368727/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=

He said he likely won't have the starters play in the second half, where in the past he would have them play a series or two to see how they reacted to halftime adjustments 

Haha wow Fred, is that you? I guess you can interpret it that way if you like. It's not a direct quote shooting down adjustments but it's very heavily implied that Marv doesn't make adjustments, doesn't believe the opposition makes adjustments, or both. But after 14 seasons of the same mental collapses with all the roster turnover through the years I find it hard to believe it's a mental thing (at least from the players). In any case, it's a very troubling thing to see, but if you take a look at our history under Marv a whole lot starts to make sense. All you have to do watch any one of our several second half collapses to know the other team adjusted and he didn't, or the other team adjusted and Marv had no flipping clue how to handle it.

Also, that quote "proving Marv makes halftime adjustments" is from the preseason. In a preseason game, it's a chance to try out several players in different schemes, plays, etc.  The entire game is one giant adjustment series after series with no real strategy to win in place. It doesn't prove anything based on the regular season/playoffs, where we have seen countless time adjustments or lack thereof kill us when it counts.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2017, 10:34 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Haha wow Fred, is that you? I guess you can interpret it that way if you like. It's not a direct quote shooting down adjustments but it's very heavily implied that Marv doesn't make adjustments, doesn't believe the opposition makes adjustments, or both. But after 14 seasons of the same mental collapses with all the roster turnover through the years I find it hard to believe it's a mental thing (at least from the players). In any case, it's a very troubling thing to see, but if you take a look at our history under Marv a whole lot starts to make sense. All you have to do watch any one of our several second half collapses to know the other team adjusted and he didn't, or the other team adjusted and Marv had no flipping clue how to handle it.

Also, that quote "proving Marv makes halftime adjustments" is from the preseason. In a preseason game, it's a chance to try out several players in different schemes, plays, etc.  The entire game is one giant adjustment series after series with no real strategy to win in place. It doesn't prove anything based on the regular season/playoffs, where we have seen countless time adjustments or lack thereof kill us when it counts.

Actually I can not tell evefry time and NFL team makes a scheme adjustment.  But I do know that every team in the league is constantly making adjustments throughout the game.  

I just posted one link, but all you have to do is google "Marvin Lewis adjustments" and you will get a whole list of quotes from bengal players and coaches talking about making adjustments throughout the game.

As for the 4th quarter collapses I have seen by the Bengals they usually involves turnovers, penalties, missed FGs, and things like that.  It may be true that other teams make better adjustments than the Bengals, but I can't believe that you guys think the Bengals don't even try to make adjustments throughout the game (not just at halftime).  Just look at the 2015 playoff loss.  Something certainly changed in the fourth quarter.  I amassuming it was some adjustments by the Bengals.  But they end up losing on a fumble and losing their cool.  You could say that Marvin was to blame for them fumbling and losing their cool, but you can't really say that they lost because the Steelers made better adjustments late in the game.

Finally, as I said before, the Bengals have been one of the best come from behind teams in the league since 2011.  That seems to indicate that they make adjustments better than other teams.

And who is Fred?  Is he the only person here who believes that the Bengals ever make any in-game adjustments?
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2017, 12:56 PM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: Actually I can not tell evefry time and NFL team makes a scheme adjustment.  But I do know that every team in the league is constantly making adjustments throughout the game.  

I just posted one link, but all you have to do is google "Marvin Lewis adjustments" and you will get a whole list of quotes from bengal players and coaches talking about making adjustments throughout the game.

As for the 4th quarter collapses I have seen by the Bengals they usually involves turnovers, penalties, missed FGs, and things like that.  It may be true that other teams make better adjustments than the Bengals, but I can't believe that you guys think the Bengals don't even try to make adjustments throughout the game (not just at halftime).  Just look at the 2015 playoff loss.  Something certainly changed in the fourth quarter.  I amassuming it was some adjustments by the Bengals.  But they end up losing on a fumble and losing their cool.  You could say that Marvin was to blame for them fumbling and losing their cool, but you can't really say that they lost because the Steelers made better adjustments late in the game.

Finally, as I said before, the Bengals have been one of the best come from behind teams in the league since 2011.  That seems to indicate that they make adjustments better than other teams.

And who is Fred?  Is he the only person here who believes that the Bengals ever make any in-game adjustments?

Alright let's clear something up: I don't doubt that the team makes adjustments, it's just to what extent and how they adjust. After what Marvin said, it's obvious he hardly adjusts at all. Something we've assumed for years. And what are you basing "one of the best come from behind teams since 2011" on? Do you have a source? I'd love to see it... Were we down by 3 in the first quarter? Do they count that as a come from behind win? Does it also list how many we have lost in the waning moments? How big of a deficit did we overcome? Do they call winning by 3 in overtime a come from behind win, even if we gave up the tying score with seconds to go in regulation? 

We have plenty of fourth quarter losses but more often than not its because the other team comes out with a better gameplan and finishes the game strong, not simply because of turnovers/penalties/field goals and the like. The playoff loss against Pitt is unique because it's one of the very few losses we outplayed a team in the fourth and still lost. But you have to remember Ben was injured and their play dropped off quite a bit with that QB rotation. Pitt didn't exactly help their cause once Ben was incapacitated. Still, usually once Marvin is figured out, he loses. Plain and simple. He doesn't change a thing about the gameplan (other than going into prevent mode with plenty of time left) and he loses. There's a vast multitude of reasons we can speculate about, but as we've seen over the years he just gets outcoached.

I think a very obvious reason why is because Marvin doesn't make adjustments when clearly needed. We can see it and it really can't be argued. We often clamor about "halftime adjustments" but it's adjustments in general that is not Marv's strong point. It was very unwise for a man who has been constantly called out for lack of or ineffective adjustments to call in game adjustments "journalistic jargon". 

I realize you're new here, and given your defense of Marv you'll be hearing a lot about Fred and drawing a lot of comparisons to him. He's currently on a temporary ban but given your thoughts, your response and some of the language you use... I think you may know exactly who Fred is  Ninja
Reply/Quote