Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals in middle of AFC insanity
(12-25-2021, 09:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have never seen anything like this before.  13 of the 16 teams in the AFC are at .500 or better with 3 games left.  And with 8 wins enough to get in the top 7 right now that means every one of those teams have a legit shot at a playoff spot.  If we lose and start needing help from other teams it will be crazy trying to keep track of who to root for every week.

Every team in both the AFCN and AFCW are at .500 or better, and 10 of our 17 games this year are against those teams. 3 of our other opponents are also at .500 or better (Min, GB, SF).  So right now that projects to 13 of our 17 games being against teams .500 or better.

So what can we look at to rank all these teams bunched together with 7 or 8 wins?

Bengals are 5th (out of 16) in AFC in scoring, 10th in points allowed, and 5th in point differential (+66) behind the Bills (+151), Patriots (+140), Colts (+98), and Chiefs (+89).

The Titans have by far the best record against teams with winning records at 6-3.  After them 3 teams are 3-3 (Bengals, Patriots, Ravens).  No other team has more than 3 wins and are all under .500 against winning teams.

The best chance we have is to win the division and then nothing else matters.  If we don't win the division it means we would have lost to either Baltimore or Cleveland, or both.  If that happens I don't like our chances stacking up against the other AFC teams in a wildcard situation.  Especially with Indy winning against Arizona and our previous loss to SD.

Have to win the division and we have a great opportunity to do so.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 01:56 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: They haven't been great but they still have A-Aron.

True that, but he kinda choked in the playoffa..
Reply/Quote
Travis Kelce out for KC

Pittsburgh getting all the breaks
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 11:49 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Travis Kelce out for KC

Pittsburgh getting all the breaks

Why am I not surprised.

Literally THE luckiest team in the NFL.

Watch the Stoolers pull off a dub and then KC playing lights out next week “needing to get right” against us.
Reply/Quote
Yes I hope KC plays a great game today.
Would be just like the Steelers to beat them and somehow get into the playoffs this year.
Titans blew it by turning the ball over way too much.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 12:25 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: I would hope we would not risk the health of our players on the eve of our first playoff game in six years just so Mike could try to settle a nearly 60-year-old grudge.  That team doesn't exist anymore, and the architect of Paul's humiliation long lies moldering in the grave.  But who knows what goes through Mike's noggin.  

No matter who we draw in the first round, be it the Colts or Chargers, it won't be an easy out.  And, we're not getting the bye anyway, so seeding means very little to my way of thinking.  And, the teams above us could simply win and keep us in the #4 spot anyway.

No, the only valid reason might be to ensure that the Browns do not get a WC berth.  And, maybe that's just superstition on my part.  We held the door open for the Jets in 2009 and look what that got us.  

I would think his beef would be with Baltimore since they were the original Browns team to begin with. This latest iteration is an expansion team. I dunno..Maybe he just hates the city.. I've been all over the US, but not Cleveland for some reason. Been to Youngstown, Akron, Toledo, but not the mistake on the lake.. Dunno how i managed to avoid it.. Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 11:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  I think the pass defense numbers suffered massively early on with Apple getting so much playing time after being a back up for so long.

Eli Apple has started 58 of the last 61 NFL games he has played.

And Herbert just scorched our D 3 weeks ago.

(12-26-2021, 11:08 AM)SHRacerX Wrote:  Really, outside of that two game stretch against the Jets and Browns, I think the defense has been really solid.  Probably top 5 overall.  

Our defense is not close to top 5 even if you take away our 2 worst games.  The #5 defense in the league allows 319 yards per game.  We have only held 5 of our 14 opponents under that amount.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 02:40 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Eli Apple has started 58 of the last 61 NFL games he has played.

And Herbert just scorched our D 3 weeks ago.

Our defense is not close to top 5 even if you take away our 2 worst games.  The #5 defense in the league allows 319 yards per game.  We have only held 5 of our 14 opponents under that amount.

Points, not yards, points...and yes they are...

Herbert was given several extra possessions by bad turnovers and threw a lot of jump balls that his guys came down with.  He lost today to the Texans.  
Reply/Quote
Chiefs currently looking good against the Stealers. If it remains the same we will be hosting the Chiefs next week and able to clinch the AFCN with a win.

Can we beat them? Heck yes!

We're not at Arrowhead for one thing. For another we might be the NFL offense best equipped to win a shootout with them. We need another mistake free game and another fast start but this is in our wheelhouse.
Reply/Quote
^ if we look like we did today, we can beat them for sure.
Reply/Quote
(12-26-2021, 06:38 PM)Joelist Wrote: Chiefs currently looking good against the Stealers. If it remains the same we will be hosting the Chiefs next week and able to clinch the AFCN with a win.

Can we beat them? Heck yes!

We're not at Arrowhead for one thing. For another we might be the NFL offense best equipped to win a shootout with them. We need another mistake free game and another fast start but this is in our wheelhouse.

Jerome Bulger is reffing this game, don't count the stealers out for that very reason.
Reply/Quote