Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals interested in Bills DE Jerry Hughes?
https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/bills-could-lose-jerry-hughes/?fbclid=IwAR20jAqta-sWsieuBmJ6qXPS9TSxjj5i20x5fi7XqUq3lmhHA5hEnXph4cc

The Buffalo Bills could be losing their last remaining connection to “The Drought” era.

Defensive end Jerry Hughes, 34, will enter free agency later this month, and a new report predicted that Hughes would join an emerging AFC rival. Bills general manager Brandon Beane had already made it clear that the team would face some tough decisions this offseason and wouldn’t be able to keep everyone it would like to, which could mean allowing Hughes to leave in free agency.

Hughes has been a fixture of the Bills’ defense since coming to Buffalo in a 2013 trade with the Indianapolis Colts. He was the most consistent element of the team’s pass-rushing attack over the last decade, racking up 53 total sacks to reach fourth on the all-time franchise sack list.

But Hughes may have played his last down with the Bills, Pro Football Focus predicted in a February 21 story on the projected destinations of its top 50 free agents. PFF ranked Hughes 39th on the list, predicting that the Bills would move on to their younger pass rushers and that fast-rising AFC rival Cincinnati Bengals would sign him.
“The Bengals have a pretty solid pass rush with Trey Hendrickson and Sam Hubbard, but they lack depth behind them,” PFF wrote. “Hughes has recorded 50-plus pressures in nine straight years and can be a force if used correctly in Cincinnati.”

As Nick Wojton of USA Today’s Bills Wire wrote in a March 4 story, the Bills may be unable to match PFF’s projected one-year, $6.5 million deal offer from the Bengals.

“If the Bengals were to go that high, it seems unlikely that the Bills would match it,” he wrote. Meanwhile, Spotrac rated Hughes’ market value at $3.3 million per year.

Hughes has made it clear that he would like to remain in Buffalo, saying he believes the team can win a Super Bowl next season and wants to be part of it.

“I want some hardware,” Hughes said via video conference on January 12. “We were close to getting that last year. So now we know what it takes to get back to that stage. And if this is my last opportunity being a Buffalo Bill, I want to go out on top.”
Few would have earned it more than Hughes. He endured through the final years of “The Drought” era (the period from 2000 to 2016 when the Bills failed to make it to the postseason), helping the Bills finally end “The Drought” in 2017, the first year of Sean McDermott’s tenure as coach. And he has helped the Bills grow into a Super Bowl contender behind quarterback Josh Allen.
If Hughes does return, the Bills will likely be looking for him to take a hometown discount. As The Athletic’s Tim Graham and Joe Buscaglia noted in a story published March 2, Beane spoke about Hughes and fellow veteran defensive lineman Mario Addison, making it clear that the team wouldn’t break the bank for them.

Beane said Hughes and Addison intend to keep playing and the door is open at One Bills Drive for either or both,” the story said. “But Beane stressed they must be at team-friendly prices. Hughes, who will turn 34 before the season, just finished a two-year, $21.5 million contract. He recorded two sacks last season.”
Reply/Quote
I think we definitely need to be looking at pass rush help/depth. Some will say "don't forget about Ossai!". Do we really want to bank on that?
"Whose kitty litter did I just s*** in?"

"He got Ajax from the dish soap!"
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 01:11 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: I think we definitely need to be looking at pass rush help/depth. Some will say "don't forget about Ossai!". Do we really want to bank on that?

I think with Ossai on their roster spending 6.5 million of their free agent pool money would be stupid. OL first. They need to find a potential starting corner, possibly another DT depending on who they retain, and possibly a safety.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 01:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think with Ossai on their roster spending 6.5 million of their free agent pool money would be stupid. OL first. They need to find a potential starting corner, possibly another DT depending on who they retain, and possibly a safety.

The immediate focus on defense for FA should absolutely be interior DL. Right now they literally don't have anyone worthwhile other than Reader under contract with Larry and Hill leaving. They need to add a couple pieces there. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 01:11 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: I think we definitely need to be looking at pass rush help/depth. Some will say "don't forget about Ossai!". Do we really want to bank on that?

Ossai's injury was only a meniscus, not one of the critical ligaments.  Having had an entire year to heal and recover, I fully expect him to be a vital part of the DE rotation this season.  While it would likely be wise to have another vet around in camp as insurance, I think the DE depth is pretty much set with Kareem, Sample, and Ossai.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 01:29 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The immediate focus on defense for FA should absolutely be interior DL. Right now they literally don't have anyone worthwhile other than Reader under contract with Larry and Hill leaving. They need to add a couple pieces there. 

I bet they keep Hill. At least one of them. I disagree Corner needs to either be addressed in FA or at pick #63
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 01:25 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I think with Ossai on their roster spending 6.5 million of their free agent pool money would be stupid. OL first. They need to find a potential starting corner, possibly another DT depending on who they retain, and possibly a safety.

Naw OL isn't important.  Ninja

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 01:38 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Ossai's injury was only a meniscus, not one of the critical ligaments.  Having had an entire year to heal and recover, I fully expect him to be a vital part of the DE rotation this season.  While it would likely be wise to have another vet around in camp as insurance, I think the DE depth is pretty much set with Kareem, Sample, and Ossai.

Regardless of injury status, I would like to have proven pass rush depth. We can assume a lot of things, but if the money is right on a FA pass rusher, I would at least take that into consideration instead of just assuming year 2 draft picks will be the answer. I feel the same way about Carman when people believe he will be a starter next season. Maybe he will. Not very comfortable with that idea though. 

I hope it all works out.

Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 02:17 PM)Bengalpool Wrote: Regardless of injury status, I would like to have proven pass rush depth. We can assume a lot of things, but if the money is right on a FA pass rusher, I would at least take that into consideration instead of just assuming year 2 draft picks will be the answer. I feel the same way about Carman when people believe he will be a starter next season. Maybe he will. Not very comfortable with that idea though. 

I hope it all works out.

I too, hope that everything works out.  I wish that I could say that I have the same optimism on Jackson Carman, as I do with Joseph Ossai.  However, their respective injury situations are completely different.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 02:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I too, hope that everything works out.  I wish that I could say that I have the same optimism on Jackson Carman, as I do with Joseph Ossai.  However, their respective injury situations are completely different.

I agree.

We obviously have our priorities in FA. All I'm saying is, if the money is right, and our priorities are taken care of, pass rush depth wouldn't be the worst thing to look in to. 

Reply/Quote
If we sign a DE I hope he is more of an all around player than just a pass rusher.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
If they're interested in Hughes, I hope it's not for that much.
Hughes is going to be 34 before the start of the season and hasn't had 5+ sacks in a season since 2018.

If we're going to go for an older veteran, I'd rather go get Ryan Kerrigan (same age) for a fraction of the cost.
Kerrigan grew up just a couple hours away from Cincy, played at Purdue, and signed a modest $2.5 mill contract last year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd guess he'd be signed (and paid) as a backup/depth player.
Reply/Quote
(03-07-2022, 04:28 PM)ochocincos Wrote: If they're interested in Hughes, I hope it's not for that much.
Hughes is going to be 34 before the start of the season and hasn't had 5+ sacks in a season since 2018.

If we're going to go for an older veteran, I'd rather go get Ryan Kerrigan (same age) for a fraction of the cost.
Kerrigan grew up just a couple hours away from Cincy, played at Purdue, and signed a modest $2.5 mill contract last year.

This, after we get the OL taken care of bring in Kerrigan who is more productive End depth. I like Hughes, but not for that much.
Reply/Quote
Heck, we need DT depth more with our FAs. Wonder if Geno Atkins is still servicable as cheap veteran depth. Might as well if we bringing in guys like Hughes.
Reply/Quote