Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals last in the league in first down pass rate and why this is a necessary evil.
(09-30-2021, 12:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: I hope we get a bit more balanced on first down as the season progresses. The OL can handle it - it is as mentioned upthread a matter of getting the right look from the opposing defense.

A FAR bigger concern is we are indeed telegraphing the play by the formation we use. We need to run a lot more of the offense out of the same formation so the defense cannot "cheat".

I see all the concerns about formation dictating plays. I for hate 4 or 5 WR's and no one in the backfield with our OL. Those are the formations dictated and scary to keep Joe clean.

I like more balance as well, but last game Joe threw less than 20 passes and in the end thr un/pass ration did end up balanced, just not on 1st down.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 09:11 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Getting the ball out of Joe's hand quickly and running the ball aren't mutually inclusive. You can get the ball out of Joe's hands quickly in other ways (quick slants, screens, quick outs, etc). I wish ZT and the offense would get creative and incorporate this stuff (a long with the run) to get the ball out of Joe's hand quickly while keeping defenses guessing, especially on first downs.

I agree I would love to see us get a great screen game going!  

Cigar
Reply/Quote
It’s a long season and we have the opportunity to start running play action on first to use this trend to our advantage.

We won handily with Joe Burrow only throwing 18 times last week. In Marvin speak, that’s a good thing. No reason to overthink the formula, the running keeps Joe healthy, the line playing better and the defense fresh. Also getting our money’s worth from Mixon… I’m all for the run game.
Reply/Quote
(09-30-2021, 09:11 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I said this in another thread:

I have an issue with this graphic. We are basically running to avoid "Joe getting hurt". The problem is, is that we are making tendencies that other teams will pick up on in the process.

Getting the ball out of Joe's hand quickly and running the ball aren't mutually inclusive. You can get the ball out of Joe's hands quickly in other ways (quick slants, screens, quick outs, etc). I wish ZT and the offense would get creative and incorporate this stuff (a long with the run) to get the ball out of Joe's hand quickly while keeping defenses guessing, especially on first downs.

I agree with Weezy here. Would like for us to be much more unpredictable on first downs. Doesn't have to be long bombs or 
something like that, but RB screens, TE screens, quick outs like Weezy said can throw Defenses for loops and even if you don't
get a big gain even a 4 yard pass to a RB or something of the sort is essentially an extension of the run game...

And you can still run it on 2nd down gaining chemistry and wearing out the D. There are ways to go about this to get Burrow 
into a rhythm earlier in games which has been our problem so far this year on Offense.
Reply/Quote