Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals lead the NFL in reported concussions
From Yahoo.com:

Prior to the 2013 season, the NFL instituted a new concussion protocol designed to better identify and treat players who may have suffered a head injury during a game. After three seasons, the number of reported concussions is up, but there is a disturbing disparity in how many are reported by individual teams.

Since the start of the 2013 season, the average NFL team has reported 28.5 concussions, according to data from the NFL and data collected by StatNews. That is 9.5 concussions per team per year, nearly twice as many as the 2012 season (5.4 concussions per team per year). While the total still seems low, what is striking is the number of concussions reported by individual teams.

Over the last three seasons, the Cincinnati Bengals have reported 51 concussions, the most in the NFL, for an average of 17.0 per season. That is 41 more than the number reported by the Miami Dolphins (10), who averaged 3.3 per season during that stretch.

This raises questions about how much of this is just good luck versus bad luck. If luck can't account for this much difference among teams, then it is a question of whether some teams are somehow better at preventing concussions or are they worse at detecting them? Either scenario is bad for the NFL. If it is the former, then why aren't more teams doing this? If it is the latter, then it suggests some teams are either intentionally under-reporting concussions or they have a long ways to go towards learning how to detect them.

[Image: In_the_NFL_there_is-a50d70777c81974d51c43e9e15ee4beb]
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 02:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From Yahoo.com:

Prior to the 2013 season, the NFL instituted a new concussion protocol designed to better identify and treat players who may have suffered a head injury during a game. After three seasons, the number of reported concussions is up, but there is a disturbing disparity in how many are reported by individual teams.

Since the start of the 2013 season, the average NFL team has reported 28.5 concussions, according to data from the NFL and data collected by StatNews. That is 9.5 concussions per team per year, nearly twice as many as the 2012 season (5.4 concussions per team per year). While the total still seems low, what is striking is the number of concussions reported by individual teams.

Over the last three seasons, the Cincinnati Bengals have reported 51 concussions, the most in the NFL, for an average of 17.0 per season. That is 41 more than the number reported by the Miami Dolphins (10), who averaged 3.3 per season during that stretch.

This raises questions about how much of this is just good luck versus bad luck. If luck can't account for this much difference among teams, then it is a question of whether some teams are somehow better at preventing concussions or are they worse at detecting them? Either scenario is bad for the NFL. If it is the former, then why aren't more teams doing this? If it is the latter, then it suggests some teams are either intentionally under-reporting concussions or they have a long ways to go towards learning how to detect them.

Cincy and Cleveland top the charts and the Ravens are also just above the average...I'd like to see how many concussions of these teams have come during or immediately after games against the Steelers...

It seems like a Steelers player causes a concussion with one of these teams every time they play.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear about teams not reporting them. I think part of it is how active the medical staff is in evaluating people and forcing guys off of the field too. We've seen both Eifert and Burfict looked dazed on the field and try to keep grinding when it was obvious they were concussed. Players want to play coaches want their teams to be healthy to compete so there is always going to be the devil on their shoulder telling them to ignore the concussion symptoms and keep playing.

In our team' case Burfict needed to clean up his tackling too he had what seemed like 3 concussions in 2 games last season. Dude was destroying himself to destroy others.

Seriously Miami has 3.3? Lol get real.
Reply/Quote
That tells me that some of those teams are doing a damn good job of hiding shit. 10 concussions in 48 NFL games? GTFO.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 02:57 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Cincy and Cleveland top the charts and the Ravens are also just above the average...I'd like to see how many concussions of these teams have come during or immediately after games against the Steelers...

It seems like a Steelers player causes a concussion with one of these teams every time they play.

I'd be very curious to see the stats on this as well.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 02:49 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: From Yahoo.com:

Not all teams have to play the Steelers twice a year
Reply/Quote
Now that we know who is and isn't reporting concussions, maybe there should be a study as to which teams are causing these concussions and take appropriate action.

Of course, if one team out there is causing more concussions than others and that team happens to be a media favorite then all that will be said is "It's a tough sport and they play hard". But, if it's any other team, they will be called dirty.
Song of Solomon 2:15
Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 03:27 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Now that we know who is and isn't reporting concussions, maybe there should be a study as to which teams are causing these concussions and take appropriate action.

Of course, if one team out there is causing more concussions than others and that team happens to be a media favorite then all that will be said is "It's a tough sport and they play hard". But, if it's any other team, they will be called dirty.

I'd be looking at a lot of teams on the lower part of the list.... Miami especially for not reporting these things.
Reply/Quote
Just a quick search of this season...3 concussion injuries....Smith, Eifert, Fisher

Smith after 1st Pitt game...He wa making a block out of bounds
Fisher after 2nd Browns game...Not sure
Eifert after 2nd Pitt game...Mitchell hit
Reply/Quote
Fisher's happened in practice

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Ridiculous. Obviously several teams are being genuine in reporting.

Get rid of the protocol.
Reply/Quote
I wonder if teams are neglecting to report them to keep their players from missing games?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 04:06 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I wonder if teams are neglecting to report them to keep their players from missing games?

Obviously.  What other incentive would there be?  I mean, does anyone believe Miami has only 10 concussions in 48 games?

Now some of it is on the players too.  You could easily see where a player would not want to report his own concussion.  The real issue is if there is direction from the team to hide them or just blatant covering them up.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 03:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Ridiculous.   Obviously several teams are being genuine in reporting.  

Get rid of the protocol.

Getting rid of the protocol takes you one step closer to outlawing the sport. Things are never going backwards now the risks associated with concussions are known it is more likely the sport goes away than we stick our heads. As an employer they have to make an attempt to reasonably protect their employees, which is what the protocol is there for. The obvious answer to most people is to force the other teams to accurately report the concussions.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 02:58 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: It wouldn't surprise me at all to hear about teams not reporting them. I think part of it is how active the medical staff is in evaluating people and forcing guys off of the field too. We've seen both Eifert and Burfict looked dazed on the field and try to keep grinding when it was obvious they were concussed. Players want to play coaches want their teams to be healthy to compete so there is always going to be the devil on their shoulder telling them to ignore the concussion symptoms and keep playing.

In our team' case Burfict needed to clean up his tackling too he had what seemed like 3 concussions in 2 games last season. Dude was destroying himself to destroy others.

Seriously Miami has 3.3? Lol get real.

Burfict has cleaned it up this year.  In the off season, his knee would end his career or, at the very least, make him a shell of his former self. 

And if he did come back, he would concuss himself right out of the league.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Wondering how many players hit that list more than once.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 06:10 PM)Rattler Wrote: Wondering how many players hit that list more than once.

Once you have one, you are more likely to have another, so the answer is probably a lot.  Burfict last year.  Joe Haden this year, just to name a couple.

As to the OP, I would agree with thte people who say there is probable un- or under-reporting going on.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Could it have something to do with the fact that they both play the steelers twice?
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 04:06 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I wonder if teams are neglecting to report them to keep their players from missing games?
Well Pittsburgh made a habit of players only having "head injuries" so they could return to the game instead of entering the protocol.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 03:56 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Ridiculous.   Obviously several teams are being genuine in reporting.  

Get rid of the protocol.

Ignorant.

Reply/Quote