Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals lead the NFL in reported concussions
(01-07-2016, 05:31 PM)Au165 Wrote: Getting rid of the protocol takes you one step closer to outlawing the sport. Things are never going backwards now the risks associated with concussions are known it is more likely the sport goes away than we stick our heads. As an employer they have to make an attempt to reasonably protect their employees, which is what the protocol is there for. The obvious answer to most people is to force the other teams to accurately report the concussions.

The protocol isn't there to protect the players. It's to protect the league and players union from litigation. That's the only people being protected.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2016, 11:18 PM)jeremydc Wrote: Ignorant.

Yeah allowing people to make medical decisions regarding their own bodies is ignorant now?

The next step is telling people they have to retire.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 02:01 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: The protocol isn't there to protect the players.   It's to protect the league and players union from litigation.  That's the only people being protected.

Bravo.  It's about time someone thinks of the billionaire 90 year old trust-fund babies who inherited these NFL teams rather than the greedy players who are getting concussions and looking to cash in on their traumatic neurological damage! Ninja
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 02:08 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Bravo.  It's about time someone thinks of the billionaire 90 year old trust-fund babies who inherited these NFL teams rather than the greedy players who are getting concussions and looking to cash in on their traumatic neurological damage! Ninja

Are the players playing for free? They are cashing in on their own body. It's theirs to use as they see fit. Like I said the next step is forced retirement.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 02:02 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Yeah allowing people to make medical decisions regarding their own bodies is ignorant now?  

The next step is telling people they have to retire.

Hilarious

Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 02:08 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Bravo.  It's about time someone thinks of the billionaire 90 year old trust-fund babies who inherited these NFL teams rather than the greedy players who are getting concussions and looking to cash in on their traumatic neurological damage! Ninja

What I'm sure he meant was the NFL only started this protocol to protect themselves, not the players.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 04:53 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: What I'm sure he meant was the NFL only started this protocol to protect themselves, not the players.

He knows what I meant..... We have gone back and forth on this matter loads of time. Evidently I am the only one who feels like NFL guys should have the right to make medical decision about themselves with consultation from a doctor. Instead of the one size fits no one approach the NFL uses now to look like they are doing something.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2016, 10:12 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: He knows what I meant..... We have gone back and forth on this matter loads of time.  Evidently I am the only one who feels like NFL guys should have the right to make medical decision about themselves with consultation from a doctor.    Instead of the one size fits no one approach the NFL uses now to look like they are doing something.

The concussion lawsuits forced them to do something.  I do think they have to have a system.  I would like to see blatant shots to the head like Mitchell did on Eifert punished a lot more severely.
Reply/Quote
The NFL needs to take a long look at this list and do some serious investigation. The rules are put in place not only to protect the league, but also to protect the players from themselves and more importantly to protect them from feeling like they have to put themselves in harm's way because of peer pressure. I know a former NFL player (his father also played in the league) who says that taking yourself out of the game was severely frowned upon. That you got a reputation for being "soft", that the coaches especially would give you a hard time. These guys have a life after football, and they should not be forced to put that life in jeopardy because a coach doesn't think they are tough enough.

Honestly, arguing that they should do away with the concussion protocol is beyond ignorant. We live in a civilized society, not one in which we find people who are willing to fight to the death for sums of money.
Reply/Quote