Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals likely to pick up Ced's option
(04-20-2018, 02:49 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Glenn has really only missed time the last 2 seasons and word is that he's fully healthy now and passed his physical. 

You don't spend $10 million on a "break glass in case of emergency" type of player. It's not smart money...even if Ogbuehi were good...and he's not good.

that's the thing this isn't them spending anything... This is them reserving the option to spend that on him after his 4th season if they choose they can always rescind the option or cut him from the team. before that becomes fully guaranteed.

We have had some late bloomers on this team...  either from lack of oppertunites or injuries.   Hopefully hes fully healthy and learns from his new coach.    If he can turn it around he will be a great asset and if not we don't lose anything except the roster spot hes taking up this season.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 06:04 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: that's the thing this isn't them spending anything... This is them reserving the option to spend that on him after his 4th season if they choose they can always rescind the option or cut him from the team. before that becomes fully guaranteed.

We have had some late bloomers on this team...  either from lack of oppertunites or injuries.   Hopefully hes fully healthy and learns from his new coach.    If he can turn it around he will be a great asset and if not we don't lose anything except the roster spot hes taking up this season.

Can you really rescind the option later? I didn't know that. I thought once it was picked up, it becomes part of the contract. Permanent.

I'm open to the thought that *maybe* Og could turn it around under a different coach, but I doubt it. He's pretty much the opposite of the tough maulers that Pollack supposedly likes. He's got a long way to go before I'm even semi-ok with spending $10 million on him. That's big boy money.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 07:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Can you really rescind the option later? I didn't know that. I thought once it was picked up, it becomes part of the contract. Permanent.

I'm open to the thought that *maybe* Og could turn it around under a different coach, but I doubt it. He's pretty much the opposite of the tough maulers that Pollack supposedly likes. He's got a long way to go before I'm even semi-ok with spending $10 million on him. That's big boy money.

A post on the previous page had a pretty good explanation of the 5th year option rules and guarantees.  The way I read it, they have to let the player know before May 3 of his 4th season if they are going to exercise the option. If that player is on the opening day roster of the option year, either active or inactive, the money is guaranteed.  So, by following that language, if they were to cut the player before the opening day roster of his 5th season, deal is off.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
PFT is always making stupid predictions about the Bengals. They are Steeler fans.
Reply/Quote
(04-20-2018, 07:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: A post on the previous page had a pretty good explanation of the 5th year option rules and guarantees.  The way I read it, they have to let the player know before May 3 of his 4th season if they are going to exercise the option.  If that player is on the opening day roster of the option year, either active or inactive, the money is guaranteed.  So, by following that language, if they were to cut the player before the opening day roster of his 5th season, deal is off.

Interesting.  ThumbsUp

Still hope we don't pick it up though. LOL
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 03:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Interesting.  ThumbsUp

Still hope we don't pick it up though. LOL

Yeah, picking up that option would definitely cast a negative specter on what's been an otherwise optimistic offseason.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 03:24 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, picking up that option would definitely cast a negative specter on what's been an otherwise optimistic offseason.

Tbh, I think PFT is pulling that out of their ass. I'll believe it when it happens.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2018, 03:31 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Tbh, I think PFT is pulling that out of their ass. I'll believe it when it happens.

every else I read said they don't expect the bengals to pick it up....   8 days till we know
Reply/Quote