Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals locked into 5th pick
This quote is from the Draft Madness thread
Quote:Isaac Curtis: The Real #85
Well, that Tenn loss helped us in a way. We now have a weaker SOS than Philly. The sites I looked at had us picking before Philly even while our SOSs were even, not sure why. If that is accurate, we almost assuredly would pick before them if we finish tied. Why?

Well, since it is the last weekend, with all division foes playing each other, there is very little movement in terms of SOS. Example: we played the AFC South & NFC East this year. Those teams must go 4-4 as they all play each other. Same thing for Philly who played the NFC West and AFC North. Likewise, the divisional games both teams are not involved in (Pitt at CLE & Dallas vs NY) guarantee a 1-1 record for their opponents for Cincy & Philly.

Now, the results of their own games will effect the draft position. If one team loses while the other wins, then that settles it, SOS is not a factor. If the teams match each other's results, then their opponents' results are the same. So for SOS purposes, those games can't effect it either if SOS comes into play.

The only results that could swing SOS are the results for the two odd teams on the schedule. For us, Miami (at Buffalo) and SD (at KC). For Philly, Green Bay (at Chicago) and New Orleans (at Carolina). GB and NO both can still get the #1 seed, so I would assume they go for it.

Plus, as I noted at the start, the sites I saw had us picking ahead of Philly when our SOS was even, if that is true, we'd need a 2 game flip (GB & NO both lose, Miami & SD both win) to happen for Philly to jump us if we tie.

Also, Goff may have broken his thumb vs Seattle today. If so, Rams seem unlikely to beat Arizona, which would mean TB is locked into #5, which means a bigger chance Brady sits or only plays briefly vs Atlanta.
Only the SD win happened of the 4 games affecting our Strength Of Schedule battle with Philly. GB, NO won and Miami lost so tonights game means nothing to our situation.
Houston tried to put us into 4th slot until Tennessee hit a late Hail Mary to set up the game winning FG that glanced in off of the upright.

All of your scenarios can now go off of the 5th pick
Only users lose drugs.
:-)-~~~
Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:22 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Only the SD win happened 

We talking about the San Diego Padres or the San Diego Fleet or what here?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
So I'm guessing we're also going to be coaching the senior bowl again this year.
Reply/Quote
Hard to believe that we were in a division that got 3 teams into the playoffs and Philly is in a division where the champs will have a losing record; yet their SOS is stronger than ours.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Zac is good for something, we have a top 5 pick 2 years in a row!

Tankathon.com has us locked into the 5th pick no matter what the Eagles do tonight.
Reply/Quote
That’s a pretty long and convoluted OP just to say we’re locked in at 5...

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:37 PM)Gocincy Wrote: So I'm guessing we're also going to be coaching the senior bowl again this year.

As long as Gase gets fired and Zac doesn't

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(01-03-2021, 10:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Hard to believe that we were in a division that got 3 teams into the playoffs and Philly is in a division where the champs will have a losing record; yet their SOS is stronger than ours.

I get what you’re saying - it helped that we played their division this year so that “eliminated” 1/2 of their division games.

The other huge factor is that as 2019 division champs they played two 1st place teams from their conference while we played two last place teams from the AFC. Those games they had vs NO and GB really improved their SOS.
Reply/Quote