Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals look to rekindle 'Fisher-Price' rush
An article from the board's friend Jim Owczarski...

You can never truly go back again, even if the memories of the past are fond. Revisiting the past is never quite the same, especially when you've developed carpel tunnel from World of Warcraft and grandma rolls out the friendly farm animals with the big red barn and silo.

So, five years after Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer debuted his "Fisher-Price" package centered around young pass rushers Carlos Dunlap, Geno Atkins and Michael Johnson, it's clear that while the names are the same, the game is a little different.

Read the rest here.
Reply/Quote
The defensive Line is the biggest question mark this team has and it is also the most important part of our team. If it can regain its top form then this team can be special.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 02:01 AM)J24 Wrote: The defensive Line is the biggest question mark this team has and it is also the most important part of our team.  If it can regain its top form then this team can be special.

To me LB is a bigger worry.

The D-line definitely needs to improve, but the addition of Johnson, the maturation of Clare, and the recovery of Atkins make me feel pretty confident that the unit will be better this year.

At LB we don't know if Burfict will be back and all we have added is an old Hawk and a 4th round pick.  I think Lamur will improve since last year was his first playing LB, but he needs to improve a lot.
Reply/Quote
Geno Atkins is the center hub from which all the spokes turn. If he's back even to like 90% of old Geno it will be a great season ! If he's not, could be anywhere from so-so to just bad.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 10:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: To me LB is a bigger worry.

The D-line definitely needs to improve, but the addition of Johnson, the maturation of Clare, and the recovery of Atkins make me feel pretty confident that the unit will be better this year.

At LB we don't know if Burfict will be back and all we have added is an old Hawk and a 4th round pick.  I think Lamur will improve since last year was his first playing LB, but he needs to improve a lot.
Vontaz is a big loss but once Rey M came back from injury last season I felt the Lber unit stabilized a bit. Plus we added Hawk in FA and drafted Dawson so I am willing to say we improved depth there.
J24

Reply/Quote
There's a few things I liked a lot from this article.

One is that Dunlap talked about a better rotation, one that seemed to lack last year and wasn't effective. Gilberry is not a starter, but a quality rotational player that can certainly help progress the team.

Then about Hayes helping Dunlap get off the snap faster and going over tape with Dunlap, showing him what sacks he missed and how getting faster will help increase numbers.

And then finally when Dunlap said that he, Atkins, and Johnson all want to retire as Bengals. That's a rare thing to say honestly. You don't hear many players say they want to retire as a Bengal (besides Whit).
Reply/Quote
If our DL can regain their old self, then I wouldn't worry about our LBs as much. A great DL can mask an average LB group. Getting Atkins back to full health and bringing back MJ are big for the DL. If the hype about Clarke is to be believed, then we should be good to go.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
If both groups come thru this team could be special.
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 02:09 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: There's a few things I liked a lot from this article.

One is that Dunlap talked about a better rotation, one that seemed to lack last year and wasn't effective. Gilberry is not a starter, but a quality rotational player that can certainly help progress the team.

Then about Hayes helping Dunlap get off the snap faster and going over tape with Dunlap, showing him what sacks he missed and how getting faster will help increase numbers.

And then finally when Dunlap said that he, Atkins, and Johnson all want to retire as Bengals. That's a rare thing to say honestly. You don't hear many players say they want to retire as a Bengal (besides Whit).

I just don't get an NFL coach saying he'll do better by getting a better start. Is Hayes watching different games than me? Getting started has never been Dunlap's problem. Breaking down and finishing has been his problem. 

These are things that make me go "hmmm..."

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
This is the biggest key to our season IMHO.

If our D-line can get back to being the way it was a couple years ago the entire team will prosper
because opposing QB's will have problems and so will RB's. If Geno gets back to being Geno and
MJ does what he says he will do and if Dunlap keeps progressing and guys like Clarke and Gilberry
can help spell guys the pass rush could be devastating to other teams.

Also happy about bringing back Sims, i hope he can show the coaches that he is the better option
than Peko who is a one trick pony. Versatility is what this team needs at DT behind Geno...
Reply/Quote
(07-02-2015, 10:50 AM)fredtoast Wrote: To me LB is a bigger worry.

This is my biggest worry too. 

If we don't have Burfict back, I just don't know if we have what we need to have a good LB corp.  I guess we will see.
[Image: PApinhead-Sig-1_2.png]

Sig compliments of ExtraRadiohead
Reply/Quote
The DL has the potential of getting back to its old self. Peko had the same problem Gilberry did - lack of depth meant lack of rotation meant wearing down. With the addition of MJ and of Sims plus our draft picks we hopefully have the rotation back. The main thing needed for it all to work is Clarke needs to step up. If he does:

DE: Dunlap, MJ, Clarke, Gilberry

DT: Peko, Atkins, Sims, Hardison plus possibly Thompson and or Still.

I think we keep 9 DL myself.
Reply/Quote
(07-03-2015, 04:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: This is the biggest key to our season IMHO.

If our D-line can get back to being the way it was a couple years ago the entire team will prosper
because opposing QB's will have problems and so will RB's. If Geno gets back to being Geno and
MJ does what he says he will do and if Dunlap keeps progressing and guys like Clarke and Gilberry
can help spell guys the pass rush could be devastating to other teams.

Also happy about bringing back Sims, i hope he can show the coaches that he is the better option
than Peko who is a one trick pony. Versatility is what this team needs at DT behind Geno...

Agree 1000%! I have always felt that with this defensive line we could win  championships. Last season they sucked though I new there would be struggles with losing MJ and Geno coming off injury but I never thought they would have been dead last in sacks in 2014. If they play up to there ability then they can carry this team to a championship. If there dead last in sacks again its time to look for new Defensive lineman. That kills me to say though because Geno, Dunlap, and MJ are probably my three favorite players on the team.
J24

Reply/Quote
(07-04-2015, 02:41 AM)J24 Wrote: Agree 1000%! I have always felt that with this defensive line we could win  championships. Last season they sucked though I new there would be struggles with losing MJ and Geno coming off injury but I never thought they would have been dead last in sacks in 2014. If they play up to there ability then they can carry this team to a championship. If there dead last in sacks again its time to look for new Defensive lineman. That kills me to say though because Geno, Dunlap, and MJ are probably my three favorite players on the team.

MJ coming back, along with, more importantly, Geno returning to form, should allow Dunlap and the other defensive linemen to return the entire group to form.

Peko is a stout nose tackle, but I almost feel like Sims could do just as good, if not better, and then I'd rotate Hardison in on passing downs and I think we'd have a pretty sick pass rush.

Don't get me wrong because I've been the biggest Peko defender/supporter on this board, but I think it might be time to go with the younger guys.

At the very least, I'd bring in Hardison on passing downs.
Reply/Quote