Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals made one HUGE mistake in this draft
i was totally in love w/ this draft until I saw this GLARING screw up....
as in WTF was our war room thinking.....  Bang Head

rd 5, pick 153  they draft a smallish kicker out of Memphis....
Jake Elliott....the grade on this pick was listed as "poor" b/c he's so small he's erratic on longer kicks & has no hang time on kickoffs....if ya want a kicker in rd 5 fine.....BUT YOU PICKED THE WRONG ONE....

turns out the right one, went to the Browns at pick 224....yes pick 224 in the 7th rd....Zane Gonzalez...
how did our war room screw this kicking pick up so bad...??? 
I am shocked...!!!!  Sick Cry
so in the future when we watch the browns convert 50+ yard field goals while we're forced to punt from the 35 yrd line remember this war room screw up.....they just totally wasted a 5th rd pick.... Pissed
Reply/Quote
No
Reply/Quote
That's a lot of emojis.
Reply/Quote
Maybe consider going to bed instead of posting on the internet when you're next that drunk?
Reply/Quote
Gonzalez vs Elliot was a bit of a wash with all things considered. Not a huge mistake on any level, but an intelligent pick.

Elliot has cold weather experience much more than Gonzalez does. Has a great record at short distance kicks and PATs. His percentage isn't the highest all-tolled, but thats purely due to one season of poor play.

In all honesty, I'm not fussed about the kickoffs. People act like they all have to be touchbacks, but that's nonsense. Most kick returns don't make the 25 yard line, so if we're making other teams field kickoffs then let them, they'll likely have worse field position.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:27 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Maybe consider going to bed instead of posting on the internet when you're next that drunk?

I don't drink alcohol...
so you insult me....???  

your comment reads like you're the drunk fool....

"on the internet when you're next that drunk"?....

whats up w/ that....??

put down your crack pipe....
i'm rubber you're glue....
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:33 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Gonzalez vs Elliot was a bit of a wash with all things considered. Not a huge mistake on any level, but an intelligent pick.

Elliot has cold weather experience much more than Gonzalez does. Has a great record at short distance kicks and PATs. His percentage isn't the highest all-tolled, but thats purely due to one season of poor play.

In all honesty, I'm not fussed about the kickoffs. People act like they all have to be touchbacks, but that's nonsense. Most kick returns don't make the 25 yard line, so if we're making other teams field kickoffs then let them, they'll likely have worse field position.

I totally disagree....a smallish kicker in a cold weather city is just dumb....especially when there's a much better one still on the board....
   now the browns will convert 50+ yrd kicks while we punt.....not smart football imo...
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:21 PM)PikesPeakUC Wrote: That's a lot of emojis.

it helps ppl who can't read too well.... Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:41 PM)Steve Wrote: I totally disagree....a smallish kicker in a cold weather city is just dumb....especially when there's a much better one still on the board....
   now the browns will convert 50+ yrd kicks while we punt.....not smart football imo...

I don't get what his size has to do with anything? He's been kicking in cold weather games, and kicked a huge FG in a Bowl game. His game is more than there.

But fair enough if he's not your preferred guy. The draft is a crapshoot, they could both have sucky careers for all we know right now.
Reply/Quote
I'm not agreeing, but let's assume you're right. One mistake in 7 rounds? I'll take it.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:44 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: I don't get what his size has to do with anything? He's been kicking in cold weather games, and kicked a huge FG in a Bowl game. His game is more than there.

But fair enough if he's not your preferred guy. The draft is a crapshoot, they could both have sucky careers for all we know right now.

^This...  and we don't even know if these two even make the team in both scenarios.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:41 PM)Steve Wrote: I totally disagree....a smallish kicker in a cold weather city is just dumb....especially when there's a much better one still on the board....

Stop it.

Zane from 50+ : 54%

Elliot from 50+ : 63%
Reply/Quote
Funny how when a team picks a guy a lot earlier than the "experts" rank him then the team gets ripped for "reaching".

But when a player gets drafted a lot later than all the "experts" had him ranked you don't hear anyone say that every NFL team was wrong and the "experts" were correct.

Fact is that if the Bengals had Elliot ranked ahead of Gonzales then a lot of other NFL teams might have also.
Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 10:38 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Stop it.

Zane from 50+ : 54%

Elliot from 50+ : 63%

Oh snap.
Reply/Quote

Wtf is this "smallish" stuff? Very few kickers are "biggish" but I will tell you this, I saw his pro day video and that "smallish kicker" has a biggish leg.

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:27 PM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: Maybe consider going to bed instead of posting on the internet when you're next that drunk?

DOn telll me what to do when im drunk on the internet youre not my dad

are you?

Reply/Quote
(04-29-2017, 08:16 PM)Steve Wrote: i was totally in love w/ this draft until I saw this GLARING screw up....
as in WTF was our war room thinking.....  Bang Head

rd 5, pick 153  they draft a smallish kicker out of Memphis....
Jake Elliott....the grade on this pick was listed as "poor" b/c he's so small he's erratic on longer kicks & has no hang time on kickoffs....if ya want a kicker in rd 5 fine.....BUT YOU PICKED THE WRONG ONE....

turns out the right one, went to the Browns at pick 224....yes pick 224 in the 7th rd....Zane Gonzalez...
how did our war room screw this kicking pick up so bad...??? 
I am shocked...!!!!  Sick Cry
so in the future when we watch the browns convert 50+ yard field goals while we're forced to punt from the 35 yrd line remember this war room screw up.....they just totally wasted a 5th rd pick.... Pissed
In need of O Line help bad, they kept passing and passing on O Linemen of talent in rounds 3 and 4.  With 3 picks in round 4 they passed on top O Linemen....So early in 5 had to be O Lineman and there was still talent on the board.....Bengals drafted kicker way too high.....They got an O Lineman 5th round comp pick, almost a 6th round pick.  We needed the O Lineman more.....As you point out, Gonzalez was there in round 7 and Elliott probably would have been there also.  They could have taken an O Lineman early in 5 and used the late comp pick on Elliott or Gonzalez......Mike Brown who had no respect for Montoya, Steinbach or Zeitler again showed his lack of respect for O Line and blocking.  Mike Brown who took over his dads 2 time Super Bowl team and in 27 years has not won a play-off game. Of course Paul Brown DID have top O Lines and great blocking. 

I hope Elliott is a good kicker, but I agree it was a bad pick in early 5.   It should have been O Line......We could have got Elliott later in 5.....Mike Brown did it bass ackwards. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote

(04-30-2017, 02:17 AM)BoomerFan Wrote: DOn telll me what to do when im drunk on the internet youre not my dad

are you?

[Image: tumblr_lgisjjDXUM1qcgjnyo1_500.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 05:11 AM)kevin Wrote: In need of O Line help bad, they kept passing and passing on O Linemen of talent in rounds 3 and 4.  With 3 picks in round 4 they passed on top O Linemen....So early in 5 had to be O Lineman and there was still talent on the board.....Bengals drafted kicker way too high.....They got an O Lineman 5th round comp pick, almost a 6th round pick.  We needed the O Lineman more.....As you point out, Gonzalez was there in round 7 and Elliott probably would have been there also.  They could have taken an O Lineman early in 5 and used the late comp pick on Elliott or Gonzalez......Mike Brown who had no respect for Montoya, Steinbach or Zeitler again showed his lack of respect for O Line and blocking.  Mike Brown who took over his dads 2 time Super Bowl team and in 27 years has not won a play-off game. Of course Paul Brown DID have top O Lines and great blocking. 

I hope Elliott is a good kicker, but I agree it was a bad pick in early 5.   It should have been O Line......We could have got Elliott later in 5.....Mike Brown did it bass ackwards

That's because he has a bug in his ear...

[Image: th?id=OIP.7LOQf9wXIAuWrd0kvG5o_QEsCo&pid...=302&h=171]
[Image: tumblr_nbqhcjsKkZ1sffy5lo8_250.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 05:11 AM)kevin Wrote: We could have got Elliott later in 5.

You have no idea.  If we had him ranked that high then there is a good chance lots of other teams did also.
Reply/Quote