Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals making the playoffs is looking brighter!
Now, if they could expand the playoffs to include 14 teams for each conference.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28739375/more-playoff-teams-expected-new-nfl-cba-sources-say
Reply/Quote
I'm not gonna complain about more football.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
I really wish that they wouldn't. As it is now, already over a 1/3 of all teams make the playoffs.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Ugh, why is it every sports league is rushing to make the regular season pointless by letting bad teams into the playoffs?

I know there's postseason money and all that, but come on... we will have bad teams in the playoffs with 14 teams in the NFL. I would rather have the regular season mean something and watch GOOD teams in the postseason.

If you want to go to the playoffs, win your division. If you didn't get the wild card despite being a winning team, that's your fault for not winning your division. Being the worst possible winning team at 9-7 shouldn't automatically coast you into the playoffs, and 8-8 (or worse) teams who don't win their division shouldn't ever be in the playoffs.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
The current playoff setup is perfect no need to change it.
Reply/Quote
Quote:As part of the deal now on the table, players would go from a 47% revenue share under the current deal to 48% share at 16 games, and then to a 48.5% share if they go to 17 games, shifting $5 billion of revenue to the players' side.

Moving from 47% to 48.5% is $5 billion. Wtf?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 10:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ugh, why is it every sports league is rushing to make the regular season pointless by letting bad teams into the playoffs?

I know there's postseason money and all that, but come on... we will have bad teams in the playoffs with 14 teams in the NFL. I would rather have the regular season mean something and watch GOOD teams in the postseason.

If you want to go to the playoffs, win your division. If you didn't get the wild card despite being a winning team, that's your fault for not winning your division. Being the worst possible winning team at 9-7 shouldn't automatically coast you into the playoffs, and 8-8 (or worse) teams who don't win their division shouldn't ever be in the playoffs.

Let me consult my tin-foil hat:

If this had been in place this past season, the Steelers would have made the playoffs.

Now back to our regularly scheduled sanity.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 09:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really wish that they wouldn't.  As it is now, already over a 1/3 of all teams make the playoffs.

It could be like hockey or basketball where over half of the teams make the playoffs.  Ninja

Seriously though, I agree.
They don't need to add another playoff team per conference.
What they do need though is to seed the playoffs simply by record and not give all conference winners a home game if their record is worse than a wildcard team.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 10:43 AM)Earendil Wrote: Let me consult my tin-foil hat:

If this had been in place this past season, the Steelers would have made the playoffs.

Now back to our regularly scheduled sanity.

You're probably onto something.

It was reported that this past postseason had up and down viewership.

Wildcard weekend - Biggest viewership in 5 years
Divisional Round Weekend - Most watched divisional round in 3 years (up 2% from last year)
Conference Championship Weekend - 11-year low

So what's with the discrepancy?
It likely has to do with the teams involved.
As much as people say they don't want to see the same teams in the championship every year, the fanbases of those popular teams sure won't agree.
As such, what is likely happening is viewership is dropping as the more popular teams are no longer in it because some of the fans have stopped watching now that their team is no longer in it.

By adding another wildcard, you get more fans interested and therefore more viewership.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 10:56 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Ugh, why is it every sports league is rushing to make the regular season pointless by letting bad teams into the playoffs?

If people are willing to watch and support Major League Baseball even though there are like 472 days in a year that baseball's doing stuff (even in the middle of winter) and teams are out of playoff contention after only 50 games (that's lthe amount of games Eiffert's missed isn't it?), then people will continue to watch and support the NFL if they do this.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 09:53 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I really wish that they wouldn't.  As it is now, already over a 1/3 of all teams make the playoffs.

it only creates 2 extra post season games... Meaning only 1 team on each side will get a bye week. making it all the more important.
Reply/Quote
One of those weak ass teams (like the Steelers) is going to cause havoc and win the superbowl, then we will question what the regular season is even for.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:06 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: One of those weak ass teams (like the Steelers) is going to cause havoc and win the superbowl, then we will question what the regular season is even for.

The Steelers aren't causing shit with Mason Rudolph or Duck Rodgers (or whatever his name is). Other than instigating race fights, that is.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:11 PM)Big Boss Wrote: The Steelers aren't causing shit with Mason Rudolph or Duck Rodgers (or whatever his name is).  Other than instigating race fights, that is.

Duck Dodgers of the 24 1/2 Century plays for the Steelers?  Shocked
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 01:06 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: One of those weak ass teams (like the Steelers) is going to cause havoc and win the superbowl, then we will question what the regular season is even for.

Never say never, but home field in the playoffs is huge as both 7-9 teams to make it and host a playoff game won their first game, at least.  
Reply/Quote
Jim Mora just called me... Any guesses as to what he said?
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 11:57 AM)PhilHos Wrote: If people are willing to watch and support Major League Baseball even though there are like 472 days in a year that baseball's doing stuff (even in the middle of winter) and teams are out of playoff contention after only 50 games (that's lthe amount of games Eiffert's missed isn't it?), then people will continue to watch and support the NFL if they do this.

The big difference is MLB is actively trying to lose fans with trillionaire owners all but telling us, "We got ours so go pound sand if you don't wanna just give us the moon, stars and the sun to watch a game on TV."
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-19-2020, 09:26 PM)Chezaugie Wrote: Now, if they could expand the playoffs to include 14 teams for each conference.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28739375/more-playoff-teams-expected-new-nfl-cba-sources-say

It's actually 7 teams from each conference.

This will open the door for a team with 500 records or worse to make the playoffs in some years. If Andy Dalton played under the same playoff format as Kenny Anderson he'd have only made the playoffs twice in his 9 years, instead of 5.

Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 02:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It's actually 7 teams from each conference.

This will open the door for a team with 500 records or worse to make the playoffs in some years. If Andy Dalton played under the same playoff format as Kenny Anderson he'd have only made the playoffs twice in his 9 years, instead of 5.

I don't think this is going to allow more teams with losing records to be in the playoffs.  As it is, the only real way for a losing team to make the playoffs is if they win their division. The likelihood of a losing team getting a wildcard still won't be that great.

Each of those years that Dalton made the playoffs as a wildcard, the team still had a winning record.
Reply/Quote
(02-20-2020, 02:31 PM)BengalChris Wrote: It's actually 7 teams from each conference.

it will help the 3rd best or 2nd best in a really good division to not be left out over a 7-9 division winner.
Reply/Quote