Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals matched offer to Marvin Jones...
Bengals matched the $40 million Detroit offered Marvin Jones - an inside look at how they got their three big deals done. And yes, this is it for them...
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote
Good job Jim.

I like everything except their plans to re-sign bot Sims and Thompson. Hopefully they will be so cheap it will not effect the Bengals decision to take a DT in the early rounds.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:32 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Good job Jim.

I like everything except their plans to re-sign bot Sims and Thompson.  Hopefully they will be so cheap it will not effect the Bengals decision to take a DT in the early rounds.
I would think we'd roll the dice on Hardison and Williams first.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Interesting. I wonder what the contingency plan for receiver really is. With them being willing to pay that kind of money for Jones makes it seem like they don't have a very good one. Either way, I like what I'm seeing so far.
Reply/Quote
Maybe you don't take one in the first round. Maybe one of the many good DT's hits you in the second or third.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:28 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Bengals matched the $40 million Detroit offered Marvin Jones - an inside look at how they got their three big deals done. And yes, this is it for them...

Excellent article Jim!

I will tell you that this is the first year the Bengals have "stretched" their planned spending at this time of year, at least since 2010. I was floored that they got Iloka and Adam Jones and Vennie Rey all done.

You did mention Kirkpatrick and Zietler, but not Eifert for extension. I know the Bengals can exercise Eifert's 5th year option, but do you know if they plan to extend him? My thought would be that they'd want Eifert done before Kirkpatrick.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:41 PM)BengalChris Wrote: You did mention Kirkpatrick and Zietler, but not Eifert for extension. I know the Bengals can exercise Eifert's 5th year option, but do you know if they plan to extend him? My thought would be that they'd want Eifert done before Kirkpatrick.

Eifert has to have a healthy season before we give him the big money.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Eifert has to have a healthy season before we give him the big money.

That is the one draw back to his game. It's also a reason we need more than Wright and Tate next to AJ Green.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:36 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I would think we'd roll the dice on Hardison and Williams first.

(03-10-2016, 07:38 PM)McC Wrote: Maybe you don't take one in the first round.  Maybe one of the many good DT's hits you in the second or third.

I didn't mean just in the first round.  But we need to address that situation in the first three rounds.

Williams gets a a lot of love around here, but no other team in the league wanted to sign him when we released him last year to place on our practice squad.

And Brandon Thompson was not placed on IR until the end of the year.  he doesn't have much time to recover for the '16 season.  It makes a big difference in a players comeback if he is injured in September/October instead of December/January.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:41 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Excellent article Jim!

I will tell you that this is the first year the Bengals have "stretched" their planned spending at this time of year, at least since 2010. I was floored that they got Iloka and Adam Jones and Vennie Rey all done.

You did mention Kirkpatrick and Zietler, but not Eifert for extension. I know the Bengals can exercise Eifert's 5th year option, but do you know if they plan to extend him? My thought would be that they'd want Eifert done before Kirkpatrick.

Dre, Zeitler, and Bernard are all entering the final year of their rookie deals.

With the 5th year option, Eifert still has two years left.

Eifert is not a priority.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:51 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Dre, Zeitler, and Bernard are all entering the final year of their rookie deals.

With the 5th year option, Eifert still has two years left.

Eifert is not a priority.

With the tag he has 3 years really.

But that will only inflate his value if you wait that long.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:28 PM)jowczarski Wrote: Bengals matched the $40 million Detroit offered Marvin Jones - an inside look at how they got their three big deals done. And yes, this is it for them...

Great job Jim, great insight and we all really appreciate it.

The Bengals must of thought MLJ was worth being paid as a #1. I didn't know for sure yet with what we
have all seen. I always thought he was special but i don't know if he will consistently command double teams
and beat #1 CB's in the NFL on a consistent basis. We will see about this in Detroit. Injury has been a hamper
with him too.

I love that the team was able to bring back George and Adam, i actually did not expect this to happen.

Vinny Rey is a very good backup and he has done nothing but help when called upon, love it.

The rest of the guys are really competition and depth signing hopefully.

I really hope as Fred said that we will look for a DT sometime early in this Draft and a Center sometime.

I figure we will Draft atleast one WR and one LB'er but i really think that DT and C might be getting
overlooked at the wrong time.
Reply/Quote
Lucky for them, he didn't take it....  I could be wrong, but I doubt Marvin Jones sees all of that 40 mil in Detroit.  Golden Tate's no AJ Green, and let's face it....  Matt Stafford is garbage.  Poor Lions fans.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
You cut me deep Marv, you really cut me deep. Why wouldn't you stay and just beat the crap outta single coverage. Stay here and let AJ and Eifert take some heat off of you and be on a good team. Detroit is shaky. Who is giving this guy advice..
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 07:59 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Great job Jim, great insight and we all really appreciate it.

The Bengals must of thought MLJ was worth being paid as a #1. I didn't know for sure yet with what we
have all seen. I always thought he was special but i don't know if he will consistently command double teams
and beat #1 CB's in the NFL on a consistent basis. We will see about this in Detroit. Injury has been a hamper
with him too.

I love that the team was able to bring back George and Adam, i actually did not expect this to happen.

Vinny Rey is a very good backup and he has done nothing but help when called upon, love it.

The rest of the guys are really competition and depth signing hopefully.

I really hope as Fred said that we will look for a DT sometime early in this Draft and a Center sometime.

I figure we will Draft atleast one WR and one LB'er but i really think that DT and C might be getting
overlooked at the wrong time.
I agree.  If they don't take a WR in the first (I like Fuller, Doctson, and Coleman), they better take a DT...  I don't know who, but it's not my job.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 09:34 PM)bonesaw Wrote: You cut me deep Marv, you really cut me deep.  Why wouldn't you stay and just beat the crap outta single coverage.  Stay here and let AJ and Eifert take some heat off of you and be on a good team.  Detroit is shaky.  Who is giving this guy advice..
His ego and his wallet...  I'm glad he's gone.  I met him in December.  He's a really nice guy, but he was wearing skinny jeans. Ninja

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I hear Flint has some of the best tasting tap water in the nation. Maybe that swayed him.

Or maybe he is just really a soft batch cali guy and wanted to get out of the rugged AFC North and into a nice dome home field.

But really he might catch 90-100 balls in detroit. Never happening here. He is chasing personal achievements not team achievements.

I used to like you MJ. Good luck. Go make the pro bowl and plsy every snap. Get us that 3rd round comp pick.
Reply/Quote
It's a good draft if you need a DT. Hate to pass up on one that can take over for Peko (for Sims and Thompson). Thompson should be PUP"d, and with the departure of Wallace, and possibly Hunt and Clarke, Sims making it should still hold a spot open for a draft pick. Hopefully that's the thinking.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2016, 09:37 PM)jason Wrote: I agree.  If they don't take a WR in the first (I like Fuller, Doctson, and Coleman), they better take a DT...  I don't know who, but it's not my job.

I REALLY like the guy out of TUSLA,his name is Kegarris Garrett,wide receiver,He is big super fast and is a ball hawk.This guy catches everything no matter how much the Cbs try to stop him.He is a monster catching the ball.This guy is a baller,a true DOG.FIGHTS HIS ASS OFF to catch everything.I watched him on U-tube and he would be a great draftpick.Could probably get him in the second.I would like to see a top mean-ass fight to the end type of DT with the first pick.Get the best guy available.Then take a WR in the second.LETS GO,WE GOT UNFINISHED BUSINESS HERE IN THE NATI AND ALL FANS WILL BE ON DECK.ITS TIME TO STRAP IT ON AND GET READY TO FIGHT LIKE A TIGER.I AM READY TO SEE THE FIRST GAME.I HATE HAVING TO WAIT TO SEE OUR WARRIORS BLOW SOMEBODY UP.
Reply/Quote
just glad he didn't go to Browns
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote