Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals meet with mixon
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fanragsports.com/news/report-bengals-saints-among-teams-met-joe-mixon-pro-day/amp/
Reply/Quote
I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him in the 3rd round or later.

Not sure you spend a premium pick on a guy who will probably be out clubbing with Pacman though...
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 09:36 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him in the 3rd round or later.

Not sure you spend a premium pick on a guy who will probably be out clubbing with Pacman though...

Past actions can't always be used as a predictor of future actions. OJ SImpson didn't kill someone until.....he did. Ray Rice never hit a woman......until he did. Because someone hasn't doesn't mean they won't and because they did doesn't mean they will again. I'd probably argue he is less likely to do it again because he has been through the backlash.

I'll be perfectly honest, I am good either way on the guy. We often times pretend like athletes are supposed to be role models, but the reality is like most people they are deeply flawed and have issues, it's not until it comes out in the media we consider them human.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: Past actions can't always be used as a predictor of future actions. OJ SImpson didn't kill someone until.....he did. Ray Rice never hit a woman......until he did. Because someone hasn't doesn't mean they won't and because they did doesn't mean they will again. I'd probably argue he is less likely to do it again because he has been through the backlash.

I'll be perfectly honest, I am good either way on the guy. We often times pretend like athletes are supposed to be role models, but the reality is like most people they are deeply flawed and have issues, it's not until it comes out in the media we consider them human.

I'm not interested in having players that are role models.

I just don't want a player who goes out and gets in trouble. Especially not at the cost of a 2nd round pick.

Mixon is very talented. But there have been multiple reports that he's hot headed. I don't know if it would be good for him to go to a team with somewhat shaky moral leadership (especially if Whitworth leaves) as well as being on the same team as Pacman "I hope you die" Jones.

I'm not even coming from the moral high ground level of "you should never hit a woman." I find that to be a sexist stance that holds back our society. That girl should have known what was coming when she was pushing him and yelling in his face. (Just to be clear, I'm not saying I personally would have hit her, but the demonizing of a young man who actually tried to walk away AS WELL AS restraining himself the first time she pushed him seems like a bit of witch hunting at this point).

My only concern lies with his temper and the fact that we have a known problem child on our roster that would almost certainly foster that temper in Mixon.
Reply/Quote
I saw that headline on PFT. Opened the article thinking "don't say the Bengals". Of ******* course, the Bengals are listed. Whatever

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 10:24 AM)Au165 Wrote: Past actions can't always be used as a predictor of future actions. OJ SImpson didn't kill someone until.....he did. Ray Rice never hit a woman......until he did. Because someone hasn't doesn't mean they won't and because they did doesn't mean they will again. I'd probably argue he is less likely to do it again because he has been through the backlash.

While I agree that past action's are no guarantee of future actions, the recidivism rate for stupid is incredibly high.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:21 AM)Burma Wrote: While I agree that past action's are no guarantee of future actions, the recidivism rate for stupid is incredibly high.

The rate for guys who weren't stupid before money, but get stupid after is also high. Like I said the one thing he has going for him is he was thrown out for a public flogging in the court of public opinion already so he at least has felt the furry. A lot of these guys have done stupid stuff, admittedly probably not as stupid, and have faced no repercussions for it because of their status in college. I'm not saying he is a changed guy, but I am saying he has a risk vs reward threshold that is worth considering.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:00 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I'm not interested in having players that are role models.

I just don't want a player who goes out and gets in trouble. Especially not at the cost of a 2nd round pick.

Mixon is very talented. But there have been multiple reports that he's hot headed. I don't know if it would be good for him to go to a team with somewhat shaky moral leadership (especially if Whitworth leaves) as well as being on the same team as Pacman "I hope you die" Jones.

I'm not even coming from the moral high ground level of "you should never hit a woman." I find that to be a sexist stance that holds back our society. That girl should have known what was coming when she was pushing him and yelling in his face. (Just to be clear, I'm not saying I personally would have hit her, but the demonizing of a young man who actually tried to walk away AS WELL AS restraining himself the first time she pushed him seems like a bit of witch hunting at this point).

My only concern lies with his temper and the fact that we have a known problem child on our roster that would almost certainly foster that temper in Mixon.

I think people put too much into the "bad influence" of grown men. I don't think the actions of one guy, or his "temper" affect those of another. Plus, cut or not Pacman is almost done in the league. You don't pass on a talent because he may have to be around someone else for a year.
Reply/Quote
I am perfectly okay with drafting him. The talent is there. I agree with Au that he has been through the backlash and the fury of SO many people. That isn't a mistake he is going to repeat. Doesn't mean he will be perfect, but I also agree that athletes are flawed humans too. They are no different than us.
Reply/Quote
By the way posted this on the other post, but Jeremy Hill sucker punched a guy in the back of the head in a bar fight in college knocking him out and no one seemed to care when we took him in the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:43 AM)Au165 Wrote: By the way posted this on the other post, but Jeremy Hill sucker punched a guy in the back of the head in a bar fight in college knocking him out and no one seemed to care when we took him in the 2nd.

I recall questions being raised about him on the old boards.....in fact, I wanted Devonta Freeman over him in that draft.  What a steal the Falcons got in the 4th, and what a dud we got in the 2nd. Whatever

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:54 AM)Wyche Wrote: I recall questions being raised about him on the old boards.....in fact, I wanted Devonta Freeman over him in that draft.  What a steal the Falcons got in the 4th, and what a dud we got in the 2nd. Whatever

Questions were raised, but in the end most didn't really care when it was all said and done. Looking back he never had additional issues here, even with that horrible no good influence Pacman that is going to lead Mixon into a dark life (Sarcasm by the way).
Reply/Quote
This just goes to prove that the Bengals are done with Hill and want to find a replacement.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:58 AM)Au165 Wrote: Questions were raised, but in the end most didn't really care when it was all said and done. Looking back he never had additional issues here, even with that horrible no good influence Pacman that is going to lead Mixon into a dark life (Sarcasm by the way).

True enough....and I can detect sarcasm. Smirk

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:17 PM)Okeana Wrote: This just goes to prove that the Bengals are done with Hill and want to find a replacement.

Which goes to show that we really don't know anything about what they are going to actually do in FA and the draft since everyone in the organization says "oh he can get back to his rookie form!" "oh he's going to be fine!" etc etc. 
Reply/Quote
I'm a pass on him. We went thru a phase where we said 5th round or later on drafting these guys. Since that time we had the Pittsburgh meltdown. Don't we ever learn...or for that matter...doesn't mister second chance Mike Brown ever learn. Surely we can find nice talent in the 2nd or 3rd round with no issues of this type.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 11:43 AM)Au165 Wrote: By the way posted this on the other post, but Jeremy Hill sucker punched a guy in the back of the head in a bar fight in college knocking him out and no one seemed to care when we took him in the 2nd.

I was more concerned with his "carnal knowledge of a minor" plea deal. Denny suspended me 48 hours for giving him hell because he didn't think that was a big deal.

Everyone gets a second chance though, so let's see what Mixon does with his.

Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:36 PM)rezolve11 Wrote: Which goes to show that we really don't know anything about what they are going to actually do in FA and the draft since everyone in the organization says "oh he can get back to his rookie form!" "oh he's going to be fine!" etc etc. 

Wait... so maybe the "Offensive line is not a concern" line from Marvin may not be accurate either!? Fetch my clutching pearls and fainting couch, I feel a swoon coming on!

Reply/Quote
He just ran a 4.4 40 at 6'1 228 by the way.
Reply/Quote
(03-08-2017, 12:59 PM)Au165 Wrote: He just ran a 4.4 40 at 6'1 228 by the way.

Pro Day times are usually better than the combine, but that's impressive.
Reply/Quote