Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals moving on from Del Rio
Looks like Jack Del Rio won’t be the next Defensive Coordinator. Wonder what happened?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:29 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Looks like Jack Del Rio won’t be the next Defensive Coordinator. Wonder what happened?

Why do you say? Where have you read/heard this?

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Why do you say? Where have you read/heard this?

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:41 PM)Au165 Wrote:

Ahh yes, found this article. Well darn! https://www.cincyjungle.com/2019/2/5/18212027/nfl-rumors-jack-del-rio-bengals-dc-raiders-zac-taylor-coach

Reply/Quote
I wonder what the disconnect was
Reply/Quote
The lack of having something secured by now when the pickings are slim makes moving on a little difficult.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:52 PM)jj22 Wrote: The lack of having something secured by now when the pickings are slim makes moving on a little difficult.

Sure does. Really wanted to see JDR here. But it has to be Zacks call.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:54 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sure does. Really wanted to see JDR here. But it has to be Zacks call.

It's kind of Del Rio's call really. If the fit isn't perfect he has no reason to come back because the Raiders still have to pay him his salary for two more years. 
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:43 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: I wonder what the disconnect was

Del Rio is still getting paid by the Raiders, so maybe he's not all that motivated to jump back into a full-time coaching gig. Jerry
Reply/Quote
Oh yay watch them hire garbage Capers
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:43 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: I wonder what the disconnect was

I'm wondering if when talking to him, Taylor realized Del Rio was going to want to run the show....
Reply/Quote
This may go against the grain, but I didn’t find Del Rios resume to be particularly impressive. What was/am I missing?

The Broncos had mediocre defenses during his tenure (4th in his first year, 18th his second year, 17th his third year) and then became one of the most legendary defenses of all time the year after he left (2015). The Raiders defense was consistently below average his entire tenure there, as well.
Reply/Quote
My emotions during the whole JDR thing:

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:17 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This may go against the grain, but I didn’t find Del Rios resume to be particularly impressive. What was/am I missing?

The Broncos had mediocre defenses during his tenure (4th in his first year, 18th his second year, 17th his third year) and then became one of the most legendary defenses of all time the year after he left (2015). The Raiders defense was consistently below average his entire tenure there, as well.

His defenses were ranked 2nd, 19th and 3rd during his 3 years as Denver's DC.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: His defenses were ranked 2nd, 19th and 3rd during his 3 years as Denver's DC.

Yep. The Panthers also ranked 2nd in his one year there.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Well this sucks. He was the perfect guy on paper. Dennis Allen would also be a very good hire.

It's a pretty big drop off to Capers, IMO, although he's not terrible. I just don't like that he's a 3-4 guy, plus the Packers were pretty bad over his last couple years. He does have HC experience though.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:17 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: This may go against the grain, but I didn’t find Del Rios resume to be particularly impressive. What was/am I missing?

I brought up these same issues, but everyone on the board got defensive quick.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 02:16 PM)Okeana Wrote: I brought up these same issues, but everyone on the board got defensive quick.  

Yeah, but the problem was that some of the stats you were basing the 'issues' off weren't correct. Then, even after that was pointed out, you continued using the incorrect rankings to make your case. Mellow

I don't think people were defensive that you weren't on the Del Rio train - it's that the info you were using was wrong.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 02:08 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well this sucks. He was the perfect guy on paper. Dennis Allen would also be a very good hire.

It's a pretty big drop off to Capers, IMO, although he's not terrible. I just don't like that he's a 3-4 guy, plus the Packers were pretty bad over his last couple years. He does have HC experience though.

Which wasn't very good either. Whatever

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Can we blame ML for this since they're best friends? Ninja
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote