Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals moving on from Del Rio
(02-05-2019, 02:33 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: Can we blame ML for this since they're best friends? Ninja

Yes, yes we can. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:39 PM)Earendil Wrote: My emotions during the whole JDR thing:

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=12230506]
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 01:44 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: His defenses were ranked 2nd, 19th and 3rd during his 3 years as Denver's DC.

I think you’re filtering via yards, and I’m filtering via points. What would cause the discrepancy with so few yards, but so much points? Untimely turnovers, I am guessing.
Reply/Quote
Perfectly fine with this. He's nothing spectacular.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
What's Bill Belecheck (sp) doing these days?  His defense down the stretch this past season was nothing short of spectacular.  Any chance he wants to step aside up there in New England and come be our DC?  I don't know....maybe we can entice him with giving him two chances a year at getting back at Cleveland for firing his ass all those years ago? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
Im bummed seemed to good to be true if we landed him.
Reply/Quote
I'm a bit disappointed but I'm still hope full that Taylor will get the right guy for his staff.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 03:36 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: What's Bill Belecheck (sp) doing these days?  His defense down the stretch this past season was nothing short of spectacular.  Any chance he wants to step aside up there in New England and come be our DC?  I don't know....maybe we can entice him with giving him two chances a year at getting back at Cleveland for firing his ass all those years ago? 

You know how they say living well is the best revenge?  Well, winning six Super Bowls is living pretty well.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I know folks are mad about JDR bit let's stop with the "terrible Dom Capers narritive.

The year before he became DC of Pittsburgh they were 25th in total D; within 2 years Dom had them uo to #2

The year before he became the DC of the Jags they were 25th in total D; the next year he had them at #4

The year before he became DC of GB the were 20th in total D; he had them up to #2 his first year and #1 2 years later.

Sure his last few years at GB have been a little below average, but let's not pretend Dom can't come in here and do something with this D.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 12:43 PM)fozzie11 Wrote: I wonder what the disconnect was

He and Zac talked and agreed they didn't have a future together
Reply/Quote
Meh, no big loss IMO. I would have been happy with the hire but I get the feeling Del Rio wanted to play more of a head coach role than a defensive coordinator role. If Zac wasn’t comfortable with the guy, then by all means, look elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
Well, Taylor just shut down the talk about it being too late to get a good coach.....
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 03:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I know folks are mad about JDR bit let's stop with the "terrible Dom Capers narritive.

The year before he became DC of Pittsburgh they were 25th in total D; within 2 years Dom had them uo to #2

The year before he became the DC of the Jags they were 25th in total D; the next year he had them at #4

The year before he became DC of GB the were 20th in total D; he had them up to #2 his first year and #1 2 years later.

Sure his last few years at GB have been a little below average, but let's not pretend Dom can't come in here and do something with this D.

Your talking about 10-20 years ago man.  His most recent work is why people dont want him.

Bill B is a great coach because he adapts to the changes in the game. Capers defenses have sucked because he hasnt changed with the game.

Im sick of having coaches that just stick to the gameplan when its clearly not working. I want coaches that will make in game adjustments like the top coaches do. We are finally getting that and dont want to go back to what we have had.
Reply/Quote
Perhaps it's going to take a lot of these coaches time to figure out and coach to the new rules. I'm guessing we'll see better D across the NFL
next year.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 02:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Which wasn't very good either. Whatever

To me,its a big NO TO DON CAPERS.UGH!!!!! BRING SOMEONE IN HERE THAT IS YOUNG,FIRED UP AND READY TO PROVE HIMSELF.Someone none of us know much about and can get the most out of this terrible D. Cool Cool Cool ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Sad Del Rio won't be here...I don't mind Capers. I am ok with a 3-4, and somewhat prefer it. Atkins can play the Donald role....Billings may be that NT...perhaps we look for a space eater this offseason. I think Lawson excels in a 3-4. Dunlap has the size to play end, maybe even a edge rush in 3-4. Hubbard can play DE in 3-4

we aren't to far removed from a 3-4

WhoDey2
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 04:42 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: Your talking about 10-20 years ago man.  His most recent work is why people dont want him.

Bill B is a great coach because he adapts to the changes in the game.  Capers defenses have sucked because he hasnt changed with the game.

Im sick of having coaches that just stick to the gameplan when its clearly not working.  I want coaches that will make in game adjustments like the top coaches do.  We are finally getting that and dont want to go back to what we have had.

Dom had the #1 D in the NFL as recently as 2011. The dude has proven he can come in and make a difference. I'm not tied to Dom but he is far from garbage.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 05:19 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: To me,its a big NO TO DON CAPERS.UGH!!!!! BRING SOMEONE IN HERE THAT IS YOUNG,FIRED UP AND READY TO PROVE HIMSELF.Someone none of us know much about and can get the most out of this terrible D. Cool Cool Cool ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

If we do go young I'd be all for giving Baby Zims a shot.

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 05:51 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Dom had the #1 D in the NFL as recently as 2011. The dude has proven he can come in and make a difference. I'm not tied to Dom but he is far from garbage.

LOL.  As recently as 2011.  That was 8 years ago dude.  PS in 2011 Dom Capers team finished dead last in total defense that year.  So he did have the #1 worst defense that year.

2009 and 2010 were the years they had a good defense and neither year were they the #1 total defense I think they were #2 in 2009. From 2011-2017 it was mostly mediocre to terrible defenses.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2019, 02:32 PM)Wyche Wrote: Which wasn't very good either. Whatever

In fairness, he was head coach of 2 expansion teams. That's kinda tough to judge. He did have one of them in the NFC title game in their 2nd year of existence. 

(02-05-2019, 06:05 PM)mikey6866 Wrote: LOL.  As recently as 2011.  That was 8 years ago dude.  PS in 2011 Dom Capers team finished dead last in total defense that year.  So he did have the #1 worst defense that year.

2009 and 2010 were the years they had a good defense and neither year were they the #1 total defense  I think they were #2 in 2009.  From 2011-2017 it was mostly mediocre to terrible defenses.

Overall, his defenses (in Green Bay) had average ranks of 16.6 in yards, 15.0 in points and 10.9 in takeaways. 

Is that great? Nope. Not garbage though. Like I've said, he's a pretty big drop off from JDR or Dennis Allen, but we could do worse.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote