Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Remember how Dalton's rookie season was one of best ever?
(03-29-2016, 02:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I remember there used to be a "Only Andy and Peyton' theme on the Boards after Andy's first 3 years. I cannot remember the specifics but they were the only two to accomplish something great.

It was only Peyton, Marino, and Dalton has had 80 or more TDs in their first three years. Now that list expanded to add Luck.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 08:31 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: It was only Peyton, Marino, and Dalton has had 80 or more TDs in their first three years. Now that list expanded to add Luck.

Thanks. Looks like Carr is on pace to join them this year; and Bortles if he picks it up just a tick
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2016, 08:31 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: It was only Peyton, Marino, and Dalton has had 80 or more TDs in their first three years. Now that list expanded to add Luck.

(03-29-2016, 09:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Thanks. Looks like Carr is on pace to join them this year; and Bortles if he picks it up just a tick

Probably, and that's one fine list of QBs.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2016, 01:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Before Dalton arrived in the NFL only two rookie QBs had thrown for 3000 yards and 20 tds (Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning). It seemed like a huge accomplishment when he did it in 2011.

Now it appears that Dalton just arrived at the right time.  Not only did Cam Newton match Dalton with 3000 yds and 20 tds in 2011, but in the 4 seasons since then 5 more rookies have done it (Luck, Griffen, Wilson '12, Carr '14, Winston '15).  Luck, Winston and Newton all had 4000 yds and 20 tds.

In the five years that Dalton has been in the league 7 other rookie starters (350+ att) have posted a higher passer rating than Dalton's 80.4. Griffen (102.4), Wilson (100.0), Mariota (91.5), Bridgewater (85.2), Newton (84.5), Winston (84.2), and Glennon (83.9).

It may be a bad idea for me to post this so soon after my last Dalton thread.  So let me make it clear that many of the QBs that had great rookie seasons fizzled out, and nothing Dalton did as a rookie can take away from what he did in '15.  So this is not really a "bash Andy" thread.  Instead it is just some interesting information I came across.

Exactly!

Comparing Dalton's numbers to past stars is like comparing AJ Green's rookie season to Jerry Rice's, then proclaiming Green is now the new #1 receiver of all time. Makes no sense. Dalton has yet to lead the league in passing, receive a single MVP vote or even play "ok" in a playoff game. He's still has a lot of work to do before he can hold Marino's jock.

I hope he does do that work and become that guy. But I'm not going to fool myself into believing he's already made it.

Reply/Quote