Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals on Pace to give up most yards in NFL history
For a single season. I just saw PFT tweet it out. How we are 5-3 is beyond me. Austin has got to go.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
The Chiefs D was on pace for that honor up until they faced our offense last week and allowed 411 yards against the Broncos today.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Cincinnati’s defense is also giving up the most points per game in the entire league.
Reply/Quote
Yet, There are some that still think it's the Offense's fault :-D
Reply/Quote
Perhaps yards really don't matter that much any more. Say if I'm the Chiefs and I'm up 3 scores. Do i really care if I give up yards so long as I don't give up points? My offense will just go out and likely score again if I get the ball back, so I may as well tell my defense not to give up any easy points and to make the other team drive down the length of the field in case they make a mistake. This was the same logic that Guenther and Matt Patricia employed over the past few years. 

Does it work with all types of defenses and players? Nah. The best defenses try to give you zip or to move you backwards on any given play. 
Reply/Quote
But....injuries....they’re tired....bend but don’t break...turnovers forced....miraculous pick-6 ass-fumbles and ass-deflections...Burfict is fat....

Third and Teryl has to go.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
They also don't blitz at all. I've never seen a team lean so heavily on zone concepts, especially with zero blitz schemes. Literally, 95% of the plays players are standing around. Not good

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 04:11 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: They also don't blitz at all. I've never seen a team lean so heavily on zone concepts, especially with zero blitz schemes. Literally, 95% of the plays players are standing around. Not good

Theoretically we have the DL for a scheme like that to work, but our LBers are not fast enough to converge on the weak points of the zone and gives the opponent wide open short throws in the middle almost immediately. Add in the fact that you can't hit WRs in the middle of the field anymore, and you have a recipe for a very terriblly executed zone defense.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 10:26 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: For a single season. I just saw PFT tweet it out. How we are 5-3 is beyond me. Austin has got to go.

Well, they gave up over 650 yards yesterday.....that was impressive.

I am going to re-name Austin's defense "The Bunch Formation":  There are a bunch of guys in the deep middle that have to run up to tackle (and usually miss a BUNCH of them) and a bunch of guys getting beat over the top.  He has done a spectacular job of taking away one square yard of the field where there are usually a BUNCH of Bengals, but the other 100s of square yards are open for business.

It is a BUNCH of crap.
Reply/Quote
(10-28-2018, 10:34 PM)bengals73 Wrote: Yet, There are some that still think it's the Offense's fault :-D

Or Dalton's...

This is a 2-14 team without Dalton, if that
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 04:11 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: They also don't blitz at all. I've never seen a team lean so heavily on zone concepts, especially with zero blitz schemes. Literally, 95% of the plays players are standing around. Not good

There was that tampa bay possession in the red zone where we only rushed 3 (really it looked like 2 as the middle rusher either was just standing around or was in some sort of run zone). On the one hand the good coverage prevented a TD so yeah, the play concept worked for us. On the other, in the long run you're going to need to bring pressure to consistently stop a team.  

Reply/Quote

There was that tampa bay possession in the red zone where we only rushed 3 (really it looked like 2 as the middle rusher either was just standing around or was in some sort of run zone). On the one hand the good coverage prevented a TD so yeah, the play concept worked for us. On the other, in the long run you're going to need to bring pressure to consistently stop a team.  

Reply/Quote
In addition to the record-setting yardage-allowed pace, they're also on track to surrender a franchise-record 474 points.

third-down stops are also terrible. No team in NFL history has allowed opponents to convert more than 49 percent of their third downs. 

The D is officially on red-alert.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
Over their last 19 games, Bengals defenses have allowed 400 or more total yards 10 different times and 112 or more rushing yards 14 times, including 149 or more 7 times.  Mellow
Reply/Quote
I will go out on a limb and say the defense gives up no yards and no points Sunday. Cool
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote

I noticed that a couple of times our LBs are completely unaware of a receiver in the vicinity of them completely wide open. On 1 play, Evans had a receiver not 5 feet from him and didn't realize he was there until after he caught the ball.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 07:04 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Well, they gave up over 650 yards yesterday.....that was impressive.

I am going to re-name Austin's defense "The Bunch Formation":  There are a bunch of guys in the deep middle that have to run up to tackle (and usually miss a BUNCH of them) and a bunch of guys getting beat over the top.  He has done a spectacular job of taking away one square yard of the field where there are usually a BUNCH of Bengals, but the other 100s of square yards are open for business.

It is a BUNCH of crap.

How about when Humphries caught a pass down around 10 yd line and almost scored by breaking thru 5, yes FIVE, would be tacklers... How embarrassing is that?
Reply/Quote
Yeah, i don't care if we have played a lot of potent Offenses, this Defense should still be much better with these players.

I agree, need to move on from Austin. It will only get better if we do, we have lots of young talented guys but this zone
just always has them on their heals. Amazing we are 5-3 playing this zone shit.

Need to give our young players more confidence by playing more aggressively.
Reply/Quote

Of course, I can't find it now. However, I do remember a statistic a couple of weeks ago that had Cincinnati around the middleo f the pack in blitzes called but dead last in pressure generated from the blitz, along with one of the highest passer ratings against while blitz.

It's all bad.
Reply/Quote
(10-29-2018, 07:05 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Or Dalton's...

This is a 2-14 team without Dalton, if that

Remember when people claimed the defense carried Dalton? Fun times.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote