Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals on (essentially) one-year deals
(05-08-2020, 09:52 AM)pally Wrote: From Duke Tobin yesterday about Joe Mixon

"He's the type of guy you want to lock up to a long term deal."

Of course, it requires mutual interest and a meeting of the minds and dollars but the desire is there from the team's stand point

And I agree with him, Mixon is special and he has stayed healthy as of late unlike lots of these other one year deal guys.
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 12:06 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Tate will be an RFA, so we shouldn't be too worried about him next off season.

Glasgow's season will be incredibly important for him, because he hasn't played much at all in his career. Even if he stays healthy and has a good year, it'd be difficult for him to get more than 1 year deal in 2021, considering he's been injured the last 2 years.

John Ross will probably bounce around the league on 1 to 2 year deals for a while simply because of his speed. We'll see if he can live up to that in 2020 and earn a new contract.

I'm most concerned with Carl Lawson, Joe Mixon and Mackenzie Alexander. WJII and Green fall into the "If we re-sign them, that'd be great, but we have their replacements lined up (in Phillips and Higgins)."

Lawson, Mixon and Alexander don't have heir apparents on the roster right now. I would love to sign Mixon to a 3 year extension with an AAV of 8 to 10 million, but I also understand that RBs basically have no value in this league unless they're CMC.

I don't know how much Lawson is worth. How much is a 5 to 8 sack rotational player worth? Maybe 8.5 million AAV? Maybe we'd be able to replace him in the draft in 2021.

Alexander is also a relatively low cost contract as a slot only corner. If he performs up to snuff, I'd be happy to give him a 3 year 18 million dollar deal.

I think Mixon will get signed for somewhere in the neighborhood of $9 million per year.  The guaranteed money will be critical.  When it comes to Lawson, that is what is somewhat exciting.  If they are unable to extend him before the season, he will be playing (like much of the team) on a prove-it deal.  If he performs up to his potential for a 16 game season, it will bode very well for the Bengals.  They probably wouldn't be able to afford him if he came off a 16 sack, All Pro-type season, but he would really make an impact.  I think a lot of us were surprised how much money was thrown at Waynes and how little at Alexander...Can't help but wonder if Alexander is just a "see if he fits the scheme" or something for one year and then try to extend.  It is a bit of a gamble, though, as slot CBs are finally being recognized as very critical positions. 

I'm guessing Mixon will get extended and AJ will play on the franchise tag.  From what I understand, the sides are a mile apart.  It would be interesting to see if they make another move by releasing someone like Shawn Williams to get Lawson to sign now for a deal in the range you mentioned. I know the Bengals value Williams but he is clearly on the decline and playing as many snaps as he did at nickel backer last year also now has more options at the position (ADG, Bailey, Bell).  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 05:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: And I agree with him, Mixon is special and he has stayed healthy as of late unlike lots of these other one year deal guys.

I don't know that I would say that.  He did play 16 games last season, instead of the 14 games in each of the first two.  However he was questionable to play in week 2, a game in which he managed 1.5 yards per carry.  How much of that was due to the injury versus the 49ers stout front is the question, but I don't see where Mixon has shown himself to stay healthy any more than the next guy.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2020, 10:35 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I don't know that I would say that.  He did play 16 games last season, instead of the 14 games in each of the first two.  However he was questionable to play in week 2, a game in which he managed 1.5 yards per carry.  How much of that was due to the injury versus the 49ers stout front is the question, but I don't see where Mixon has shown himself to stay healthy any more than the next guy.

For a running back, I think he has been very durable...and he isn't used much in the passing game (hope that changes) so he is usually getting hit every time he touches the ball. 
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2020, 10:35 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I don't know that I would say that.  He did play 16 games last season, instead of the 14 games in each of the first two.  

he has had some injury issues, but I think that will just make him quicker to jump at any reasonable offer for an extension.  He knows how easy it is to get injured and have a bad year.  He doesn't want that to happen while playing for a contract.  He finished last season HOT.  His value may never be higher in the Bengals eyes.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2020, 10:35 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I don't know that I would say that.  He did play 16 games last season, instead of the 14 games in each of the first two.  

he has had some injury issues, but I think that will just make him quicker to jump at any reasonable offer for an extension.  He knows how easy it is to get injured and have a bad year.  He doesn't want that to happen while playing for a contract.  He finished last season HOT.  His value may never be higher in the Bengals eyes.
Reply/Quote
I’m not sure there’s a solution. It’s a even playing field for everyone. That’s all you can ask for. If they took the salary cap away it would be bad news for the Bengals as big market teams would have most of the good players.
Reply/Quote
(05-07-2020, 02:55 PM)BURROWorBUST Wrote: I really really hate the way salaries and the salary cap play out in the NFL. It makes it so hard for teams to keep all of their best players. You shouldn't have to give up a player just because you can't afford them. Something has to be done to stop the over-inflation of player salaries. I don't want to spend the time trying to "fix" the problem from here in my stupid basement, but I hope you all can relate to my frustration over how badly the current system sucks, especially for fans. What's a ticket cost these days?

I can't afford to have 10 Porsches, so I don't. I don't see why it should be different for a sports team.

And the problem with the Bengals is that they bought too many lemons over recent years and don't have enough Porsches because of that. It doesn't have anything to do with the salary cap. They had to eat nearly $10M in dead cap money this year in players cut from existing contracts.

Reply/Quote
(05-08-2020, 12:06 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: Tate will be an RFA, so we shouldn't be too worried about him next off season.

Glasgow's season will be incredibly important for him, because he hasn't played much at all in his career. Even if he stays healthy and has a good year, it'd be difficult for him to get more than 1 year deal in 2021, considering he's been injured the last 2 years.

John Ross will probably bounce around the league on 1 to 2 year deals for a while simply because of his speed. We'll see if he can live up to that in 2020 and earn a new contract.

I'm most concerned with Carl Lawson, Joe Mixon and Mackenzie Alexander. WJII and Green fall into the "If we re-sign them, that'd be great, but we have their replacements lined up (in Phillips and Higgins)."

Lawson, Mixon and Alexander don't have heir apparents on the roster right now. I would love to sign Mixon to a 3 year extension with an AAV of 8 to 10 million, but I also understand that RBs basically have no value in this league unless they're CMC.

I don't know how much Lawson is worth. How much is a 5 to 8 sack rotational player worth? Maybe 8.5 million AAV? Maybe we'd be able to replace him in the draft in 2021.

Alexander is also a relatively low cost contract as a slot only corner. If he performs up to snuff, I'd be happy to give him a 3 year 18 million dollar deal.

That's a tough one for me as well - especially if he stays healthy.  If he does, he's not just a 5-8 sack guy, he's a dominant pass rusher.  

But, even going back to college, he's always had the injury bug.
Reply/Quote
(05-09-2020, 10:35 AM)jfkbengals Wrote: I don't know that I would say that.  He did play 16 games last season, instead of the 14 games in each of the first two.  However he was questionable to play in week 2, a game in which he managed 1.5 yards per carry.  How much of that was due to the injury versus the 49ers stout front is the question, but I don't see where Mixon has shown himself to stay healthy any more than the next guy.

Like I said, as of late Mixon has stayed healthy and a hell of a lot more healthy than AJ or Ross....
Reply/Quote