Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals one of best "come from behind" teams since Dalton arrived
I hear a lot of people claiming that the Bengals never make any adjustments to their game plans when something goes wrong, but here are some interesting numbers to consider. Since 2011 the Bengals are 9th in the league in come from behind victories (31). but that does not tell the entire story. The Bengals also have the 7th best winning percentage in games in which they trailed at some point (.464). Only five teams in the league have both more come-from behind victories and a better winning percentage in games where they trailed. For example the Dolphins have one more come from behind victory, but 15 more losses in games where they trailed for only a .386 winning percentage.

Dalton has been very clutch when it comes to fourth quarter comebacks. (Profootballreference.com defines a "4th quarter comeback" as a fourth quarter scoring drive when the team is trailing by one score in a game that ends in a win or tie). He has finished in the top 5 in fourth quarter comebacks three times (fourth in '11, fourth in '14, and second in '15). Since he entered the league in '11 Dalton has a total of 14 fourth quarter comebacks. That ranks 8th in the league.

Dalton has also been very good at "game winning drives" (a scoring drive in the fourth quarter or overtime that puts the winning team ahead to stay) he has finished in the top 8 four times (fifth in '11, sixth in '12, sixth in '14, and eigth in '15). Since '11 Dalton also ranks 8th in game winning drives with 17.
Reply/Quote
if you give dalton time he can do wonders...
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
“You hear about how many fourth-quarter comebacks that a guy has and I think it means a guy screwed up in the first three quarters.” ...Peyton Manning
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
SO what how many playoff wins does have. He has been terrible in the playoffs so far. He needs to step up.
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 12:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: “You hear about how many fourth-quarter comebacks that a guy has and I think it means a guy screwed up in the first three quarters.” ...Peyton Manning

When you put it that way it does sound like one wants credit for putting out a fire they started LOL.

But it's nice to know Dalton possesses the clutch gene! :andy:
[img]http://[Image: power-rangers-dinozords-ranking-tigerzor...mhpcjr.jpg][/img]
Reply/Quote
How many playoff comeback wins has Dalton had?
Who Dey!!!

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 02:59 AM)TSwigZ Wrote: How many playoff comeback wins has Dalton had?

How many playoff games has he played where his defense didn't suck ass?  Or his coach?  Dalton is culpable just like the rest of the team, but he shouldn't be chastised for taking a team that EVERY TALKING HEAD IN THE NATION said would go 0-16 to the playoffs.  

I wonder if Phillip Rivers, Matt Stafford, and Tony Romo, are/were similarly vilified for their lack of post season success?  None of them have won a Super Bowl, despite starting with better teams, in weaker divisions, and having many more years of opportunities.  

I will never understand why people haven't fully embraced Dalton.  You folks are going to owe him a huge apology after this year, and remember he will have done it behind a line that everyone said was going to the worst in the NFL.  
Reply/Quote
Darn..I keep hearing it's a team sport then it's all on the quarterback then it's not.  
Maybe it should be called the We Get To Have It Both Ways and Blame Whoever We Want To League. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 10:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: How many playoff games has he played where his defense didn't suck ass?  Or his coach?  Dalton is culpable just like the rest of the team, but he shouldn't be chastised for taking a team that EVERY TALKING HEAD IN THE NATION said would go 0-16 to the playoffs.  

I wonder if Phillip Rivers, Matt Stafford, and Tony Romo, are/were similarly vilified for their lack of post season success?  None of them have won a Super Bowl, despite starting with better teams, in weaker divisions, and having many more years of opportunities.  

I will never understand why people haven't fully embraced Dalton.  You folks are going to owe him a huge apology after this year, and remember he will have done it behind a line that everyone said was going to the worst in the NFL.  

Werrdd!
Reply/Quote
Quote:You folks are going to owe him a huge apology after this year...
In all fairness I'd rather owe him an apology than cheat him out of one. 
I don't blame just one guy. To blame just one guy when there are 22 guys on the field is kind of like jerking off in the corner at an orgy. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 10:28 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: How many playoff games has he played where his defense didn't suck ass?  Or his coach?  Dalton is culpable just like the rest of the team, but he shouldn't be chastised for taking a team that EVERY TALKING HEAD IN THE NATION said would go 0-16 to the playoffs.  

Agreed. I think we have more of a Marvin problem than a Dalton problem when it comes to Primetime, Steeler and playoff games. 
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2017, 08:30 PM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: I hear a lot of people claiming that the Bengals never make any adjustments to their game plans when something goes wrong, but here are some interesting numbers to consider.  Since 2011 the Bengals are 9th in the league in come from behind victories (31). but that does not tell the entire story.  The Bengals also have the 7th best winning percentage in games in which they trailed at some point (.464).  Only five teams in the league have both more come-from behind victories and a better winning percentage in games where they trailed.  For example the Dolphins have one more come from behind victory, but 15 more losses in games where they trailed for only a .386 winning percentage.

Dalton has been very clutch when it comes to fourth quarter comebacks.  (Profootballreference.com defines a "4th quarter comeback" as a fourth quarter scoring drive when the team is trailing by one score in a game that ends in a win or tie).  He has finished in the top 5 in fourth quarter comebacks three times (fourth in '11, fourth in '14, and second in '15).  Since he entered the league in '11 Dalton has a total of 14 fourth quarter comebacks.  That ranks 8th in the league.

Dalton has also been very good at "game winning drives" (a scoring drive in the fourth quarter or overtime that puts the winning team ahead to stay)  he has finished in the top 8 four times (fifth in '11, sixth in '12, sixth in '14, and eigth in '15).  Since '11 Dalton also ranks 8th in game winning drives with 17.

As you said in the D-line thread, stats can be misleading. I would wager there has not been more than a handful of games in the Dalton era, and damn few more in the entire Lewis era where they Bengals led from first score to finish. So, when you are down at some point in every game you have lots of chances for come from behind wins, and if you ever win it counts toward the winning percentage in that category.

I have said for about 10 years now this is Lewis's fatal flaw as a coach. If he is up by 3 he coaches like he is up by 30. If he is down by 30 he coaches like he is up by 14. Consequently, his team rarely holds a lead for very long and is almost always well behind in the 4th quarter.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
It's all on Marvin the evidence is there before the Dalton era. Although i will say in defense of the PO losses only, outside of SD the team has been wrecked with bad luck and road games.

Here lets break it down again:
2005 - Palmer down
2009 - Cardiac cats "backed in"
2011 - Wasn't even suppose to be in Houston
2012 - Growing pains in Houston
2013 - YEah we should have had that one at home.
2014 - All of our playmakers are on the bench in Indy ffs
2015 - Andy's thumb didn't want to play anymore. Season goes down the drain in EPIC fashion. Also ref bias

Under Marvin the team comes out strong and gets a lead, takes it into halftime and then proceeds to shit it away until the final minutes of the fourth quarter. Most of the time. Or they just get blown out from the get go. It's usually either/or hence why i now own a defibrillator.

Reply/Quote
Forget the what if's or the what have ya's . Is'nt that what he's gettin paid to do? It's a whole new ballgame after the last game of the season. The Playoffs separate the men from the boys! Thus far,we've been boys! Sarcasm
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 12:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: “You hear about how many fourth-quarter comebacks that a guy has and I think it means a guy screwed up in the first three quarters.” ...Peyton Manning

^ EXACTLY!!!!! Love that quote.

To people who always talked about Elway's comebacks and I always replied with... He sucked the first 3 or they wouldn't have had to come back.
Reply/Quote
(06-23-2017, 08:30 PM)Dr. Bombay Wrote: I hear a lot of people claiming that the Bengals never make any adjustments to their game plans when something goes wrong, but here are some interesting numbers to consider.  Since 2011 the Bengals are 9th in the league in come from behind victories (31). but that does not tell the entire story.  The Bengals also have the 7th best winning percentage in games in which they trailed at some point (.464).  Only five teams in the league have both more come-from behind victories and a better winning percentage in games where they trailed.  For example the Dolphins have one more come from behind victory, but 15 more losses in games where they trailed for only a .386 winning percentage.

Dalton has been very clutch when it comes to fourth quarter comebacks.  (Profootballreference.com defines a "4th quarter comeback" as a fourth quarter scoring drive when the team is trailing by one score in a game that ends in a win or tie).  He has finished in the top 5 in fourth quarter comebacks three times (fourth in '11, fourth in '14, and second in '15).  Since he entered the league in '11 Dalton has a total of 14 fourth quarter comebacks.  That ranks 8th in the league.

Dalton has also been very good at "game winning drives" (a scoring drive in the fourth quarter or overtime that puts the winning team ahead to stay)  he has finished in the top 8 four times (fifth in '11, sixth in '12, sixth in '14, and eigth in '15).  Since '11 Dalton also ranks 8th in game winning drives with 17.

This is just more evidence of how solid a QB Dalton is and how some people especially in the media have Blinders on...
Reply/Quote
(06-24-2017, 07:48 PM)PDub80 Wrote: ^ EXACTLY!!!!! Love that quote.

To people who always talked about Elway's comebacks and I always replied with... He sucked the first 3 or they wouldn't have had to come back.

total lack of evidence to support this type of thinking.., I could just as well of said.. it the defense would not have sucked first 3 quarters, the QB would not have had to save them in the 4th quarter..
Reply/Quote

(06-24-2017, 07:19 PM)xxlt Wrote: As you said in the D-line thread, stats can be misleading. I would wager there has not been more than a handful of games in the Dalton era, and damn few more in the entire Lewis era where they Bengals led from first score to finish.

his team rarely holds a lead for very long and is almost always well behind in the 4th quarter.

(06-24-2017, 07:48 PM)PDub80 Wrote: ^ EXACTLY!!!!! Love that quote.

Since 2011 the Bengals have trailed in fewer total games (69) than all but 5 other teams in the league.
Reply/Quote
One point I will also offer that is in support of Marvin Lewis: His teams are rarely beaten due to a lack of conditioning. That is, his teams never seem to fade and just get shoved around as a game goes on. You used to see that with Bengals teams in the 90s. His teams have seemingly always been well conditioned, which helps you be in place to have come-from-behind opportunities.
Reply/Quote
Swing the pendulum and tell us how many games they lost when they had the lead at one point?

Reply/Quote