Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals one of best "come from behind" teams since Dalton arrived
(06-30-2017, 05:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Good point....but I will also add that Elway won his after Terrell Davis became such a great weapon for him.  Manning won his because, well, they always had the offense and they finally beat the Pats in the playoffs.  Brees won his with a very high-powered offense and a safety having the season of his life. 

I guess what I am trying to say is they didn't always have the team around them until late in their careers.  If they stay healthy, Dalton has the talent.  

Elway saw a dramatic change in his own numbers after that coaching change. If you just look at his year by year stats, you can tell when the coaching change happened. Manning finally beat the Pats probably because of the coaching change...and with Mora he couldn't even win a single playoff game...Pats or not. That high-powered offense for Brees was all thanks to Sean Payton. Brees arguably had more talent in San Diego, with a HOF RB (Tomlinson), HOF TE (Gates), Keenan McCardell and Lo Neal. Schottenheimer was just a bad playoff coach, and couldn't get everything out of Brees that Payton could.

Simple as that. Coaching is big deal.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2017, 12:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Elway saw a dramatic change in his own numbers after that coaching change. If you just look at his year by year stats, you can tell when the coaching change happened. Manning finally beat the Pats probably because of the coaching change...and with Mora he couldn't even win a single playoff game...Pats or not. That high-powered offense for Brees was all thanks to Sean Payton. Brees arguably had more talent in San Diego, with a HOF RB (Tomlinson), HOF TE (Gates), Keenan McCardell and Lo Neal. Schottenheimer was just a bad playoff coach, and couldn't get everything out of Brees that Payton could.

Simple as that. Coaching is big deal.

I agree, and coaching includes your OC, DC, WR coach, etc.  The Bengals have survived the loss of some pretty good talent in those positions over the past several years.  Marv has been the constant.  

If it sounds like I am defending him, it is not my intent.  He drives me crazy with his conservatism.  It reminds me of the local high school team.  They have a huge enrollment, and a pretty strong talent pool.  They ran the triple option forever.  It pretty much guaranteed they would beat opponents that they were bigger and stronger than, but they had no answer to challenge a team that had the size and strength they possessed.  Once they fell behind, a pass play looked like it was drawn up on the dirt.  There was never any creativity beyond the 4 yards, 5 yards, 3 yards, 5 yards, etc. of their normal offense.  No read-option pass plays, etc.  Marv's conservatism, combined with his outstanding roster would generally get 9-11 wins against average teams in the NFL, but would get to the postseason and not be able to challenge a team of their skill level or beyond.  They couldn't execute a key 9 yard play.  They couldn't get pressure with the front four and they had no blitz packages that they were comfortable running (always drove me nuts).  

Marv needs to have all phases of this team running at a high rate in every situation of a game, if for no other reason than to be prepared for when they need it.  Also, there aren't as many really poor teams as it seemed there was just a few short years ago.  There appears to be a new crop of talented young QBs and there are only a small handful of teams that begin the season with virtually no shot of the post season. 

It seems simple:  Score every time you have the ball.  I have heard the Pats say they do that regardless of the score.  On defense, never play prevent...keep attacking.  Force turnovers.  Play aggressive.  I agree that coaching has held this team back on many occasions and I hope that somehow, Marv turns up the aggressiveness to match the roster and carry them all the way.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote