Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bored at Work so I'm Drafting a QB Mock
Offseason :

Bring in new offensive minded coach, Eric Bieniemy maybe?

Trade 1 2 and 6 for #5 pick to jump the Giants and Jags, may have to give up a pick next year as well. Trade chart value matched up pretty well without the pick next year but may need to outbid other teams.

Do what you want with Andy, trade him for a pick, keep him for a year, or cut him. I don't want to speculate what he would bring in a trade because I honestly do not know.

Also some of these guys may go earlier or later, I really don't know. I tried to keep it reasonable and keep guys positioned at an average spot between many ranking sites but a couple guys had some wildly different rankings depending on who you ask.

Free Agency :

Sign Kwon Alexander LB - Had a down year in that dumpster fire that was the Bucs defense, the previous year he looked very good and considering we could probably get him for a reasonable price this is the type of Bengals FA signing.

Sign Mike Person RG/C - Another value pick, Mike Person was the guy who came in for the Colts in 2017 when Ryan Kelly was injured and only allowed 3 pressures in 194 pass blocking snaps at Center. He signed a 1 year deal in the offseason to play backup for the 49ers and ended up playing in 16 games where he was a good player throughout the year. PFF had him end the year with a 67.2 which is not great but is better than anything we have at RG and he also had some very good games throughout the year where he was in the high 80s. Had a foot injury that slowed him down but still had a solid year blocking for all those no named RBs that still played well. Good insurance for Center as well.

Draft : 

1. Dwayne Haskins QB OSU - So yea I did it. I made a mock where we take a QB and get rid of Dalton. What can I say? I want a fresh start, Lewis was a mediocre coach, Dalton is a mediocre QB, why do we want to keep settling for “Good Enough”? He has the talent, he has the size, he has the arm strength, he has only shown it for one year but it was a very impressive year. Hopefully we get a young offensive minded coach and give him a new QB that can give us more than Andy Dalton has over the past couple of years.

2. Traded

3. David Edwards OT Wisconsin - What do you need when you bring in a young QB? Well you need an Oline that can protect him, But you also need to run the ball and with Edwards he is gonna help you do that. He can be dominant in the run game and with his size he should be at 6’7 319. Has the mentality to finish the play and will fight until the whistle. Not an elite pass protector but is good, would come in and be our RT day one after being drafted.

4. Vosean Joseph LB Florida - We already signed a FA LB in Kwon Alexander in the offseason but we still need more than what we have. Joseph is a LB with the sideline to sideline speed you need, had some monster hits in college while still keeping them clean, and while he hasn’t had to play in pass coverage a ton at Florida, has looked decent when doing so and has the measurables to do so in the NFL.

[Image: giphy.gif]

5. Hakeem Butler WR Iowa State - Bigger guy at 6’6 225 with some questions about his speed, some sites have him going 2-3 other have him going undrafted, I’m not sure where exactly he ends up going or if he is around here but if he is you take him. He has a couple plays that just remind me of AJ Green playing the Ravens. Clearly if he runs a good 40 he won’t be here but even if he doesn’t I would take him here in a heartbeat.

[Image: LeanCalculatingLhasaapso-size_restricted.gif]

6. Jace Sternberger TE Texas A&M - At 6’4 250 he has the size to play TE, then you pair that with his athletic ability and you could have something special here. This guy just has knack for getting open and making big plays. Had 832 Yards and 10 TDs in 2018.

6. (Comp) Derrick Baity CB Kentucky - Solid size at 6’2 186. Some people believe his athletic ability and frame could limit him in the NFL but he has the length, solid technique, and experience so I believe at this point in the draft he is well worth the gamble. Much like the LB I drafted earlier Baity is physical for a CB and will come down and make the tackle when necessary. Negatives are he isn’t a ballhawk and his frame worries some when playing bigger WRs.

6. (Comp) Traded

7. Dillon Mitchell WR Oregon - Not a burner but has decent size at 6’2 189. Had 1184 Yards and 10 TDs in 2018. Has good feet, good hands, and is great at RAC and making defenders miss, has great burst in small spaces to get by defenders. If you couldn’t tell I am over Core and Malone and wanna bring in some new guys behind Green, Boyd, and Ross.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Four tackles are free agents. Thinking this is a position we see the bengals double up on. Like the one you got out of [my employer]. But would like to see bengals get another.
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2019, 11:44 PM)TrenchWarfare Wrote: Four tackles are free agents. Thinking this is a position we see the bengals double up on. Like the one you got out of [my employer]. But would like to see bengals get another.

Could very well be man, but I think we bring back A. Smith and I doubt Glenn is going anywhere after they just invested in getting him last year.

Way I see it we have 3 starters on the Oline under contract with Glenn - Boiling - Price. I think we find a RG and RT in the draft and Free agency with guys like Hopkins and Smith getting the backup roles.

Just wanted to try something fun with this mock but it really showed me how hard it is to round out a draft with good players when you make a splash and move up in the draft.

I will say though I think now is the time to grab a QB if the  new coach wants to move away from Dalton, I think Haskins has all the tools to be a very good NFL QB and I don't think we will be picking early enough next year to get a top QB if Dalton is here. We are in a unique spot this year because the top 5 teams don't really have QB at the top of there list, we can get the top prospect by jumping the Giants and Jags if we want to take a shot.
Reply/Quote
I like it. I know the right side of the line is trash but if the Bengals really want to eventually make a playoff run they are going to also have to invest in a different QB. Instead of waiting another year or two I would go ahead and get somebody in here right now and it would be nice if that guy was Haskins. Go sign somebody at Right Guard or Right Tackle and as you mocked here you can also turn around and find a starting lineman in the 3rd round. Last year I was hoping that guy would be Orlando Brown who was the starter for the Ravens this year but we passed on him. The Bengals plan should be to hire the right coach (not in house) and then get the QB of the future, and improve the line and LB with mid round picks and free agents.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 10:26 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I like it. I know the right side of the line is trash but if the Bengals really want to eventually make a playoff run they are going to also have to invest in a different QB. Instead of waiting another year or two I would go ahead and get somebody in here right now and it would be nice if that guy was Haskins. Go sign somebody at Right Guard or Right Tackle and as you mocked here you can also turn around and find a starting lineman in the 3rd round. Last year I was hoping that guy would be Orlando Brown who was the starter for the Ravens this year but we passed on him. The Bengals plan should be to hire the right coach (not in house) and then get the QB of the future, and improve the line and LB with mid round picks and free agents.

The reality of getting Haskins is that in order to get him, you are going to need to get up in the top 5.  That's a lot of draft capital.

I'd rather use the model we had back in the early 2000s.  Get a great O-line and worry about the QB.

Next year will be a lot easier to get a QB as there are going to be more than just 1 top tier guy.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 11:19 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The reality of getting Haskins is that in order to get him, you are going to need to get up in the top 5.  That's a lot of draft capital.

I'd rather use the model we had back in the early 2000s.  Get a great O-line and worry about the QB.

Next year will be a lot easier to get a QB as there are going to be more than just 1 top tier guy.

I agree that there should be more quality Quarterbacks next year but I really think Haskins will be a star in this league and we have the 11th pick this year so at least it is in range to move up to grab a franchise QB. What if we end up around 18-20 next year which could have easily happened this year again as well. No playoffs but so far back you are unlikely to get a franchise QB. I won't be mad if we take a Devin White at linebacker or someone like Jonah Williams or another top flight Tackle in the first but if we could get Haskins and know that we had a legit franchise QB I would feel a lot better about the future of this team. There is still a lot of talent on this squad and if you can use Free Agency and the mid rounds to pick up a Right Tackle and Linebacker then I think it is something to think about. Christian Westerman is an upgrade at Right Guard if they will just allow him to play.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 12:28 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I agree that there should be more quality Quarterbacks next year but I really think Haskins will be a star in this league and we have the 11th pick this year so at least it is in range to move up to grab a franchise QB. What if we end up around 18-20 next year which could have easily happened this year again as well. No playoffs but so far back you are unlikely to get a franchise QB. I won't be mad if we take a Devin White at linebacker or someone like Jonah Williams or another top flight Tackle in the first but if we could get Haskins and know that we had a legit franchise QB I would feel a lot better about the future of this team. There is still a lot of talent on this squad and if you can use Free Agency and the mid rounds to pick up a Right Tackle and Linebacker then I think it is something to think about. Christian Westerman is an upgrade at Right Guard if they will just allow him to play.

In theory sure, but let's take a long look at the QBs in this league that have had success after 1 year of starting in college.  It's not great.  In fact, I can't really think of a guy that is a star or top tier QB.  I wouldn't give up an additional first rounder or a few higher picks to move up to get him.  I just don't see it.  If he's there at 11 or even around 8, then that's a different story.

History is not on his side when it comes to success for similar guys in his situation.
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 03:55 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: In theory sure, but let's take a long look at the QBs in this league that have had success after 1 year of starting in college.  It's not great.  In fact, I can't really think of a guy that is a star or top tier QB.  I wouldn't give up an additional first rounder or a few higher picks to move up to get him.  I just don't see it.  If he's there at 11 or even around 8, then that's a different story.

History is not on his side when it comes to success for similar guys in his situation.

Looking at history in these things is always dangerous because of the evolution of youth athletics. High School QB's are now getting professional tutoring from NFL level passing coaches as early as freshman year (Like Haskins did). The NFL game is now mirroring the college game more closely than it ever has with the adoption of more spread and Air Raid concepts. College coaches themselves have more NFL experience than ever before allowing these elite guys to develop under people who know how the pro game works (Ryan Day was an NFL QB coach).

I'm not saying we should trade up for Haskins, but a lot of the same "experts" saying this about Haskins a couple days ago are saying Trevor Lawrence would be the #1 pick in the draft right now.....with only one year of starting. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Looking at history in these things is always dangerous because of the evolution of youth athletics. High School QB's are now getting professional tutoring from NFL level passing coaches as early as freshman year (Like Haskins did). The NFL game is now mirroring the college game more closely than it ever has with the adoption of more spread and Air Raid concepts. College coaches themselves have more NFL experience than ever before allowing these elite guys to develop under people who know how the pro game works (Ryan Day was an NFL QB coach).

I'm not saying we should trade up for Haskins, but a lot of the same "experts" saying this about Haskins a couple days ago are saying Trevor Lawrence would be the #1 pick in the draft right now.....with only one year of starting. 

Yep

25 years ago QB's started out in the NFL holding clipboards for their first 3 years, that's just how it was, they simply weren't ready. They're starting much sooner and doing much better all the time.

Having said that I do believe Haskins needs some seasoning. And I do believe he'll be a good QB.

Lawrence will be the next Manning, Luck. Tank for Trevor  Hilarious
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2019, 10:26 AM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I like it. I know the right side of the line is trash but if the Bengals really want to eventually make a playoff run they are going to also have to invest in a different QB. Instead of waiting another year or two I would go ahead and get somebody in here right now and it would be nice if that guy was Haskins. Go sign somebody at Right Guard or Right Tackle and as you mocked here you can also turn around and find a starting lineman in the 3rd round. Last year I was hoping that guy would be Orlando Brown who was the starter for the Ravens this year but we passed on him. The Bengals plan should be to hire the right coach (not in house) and then get the QB of the future, and improve the line and LB with mid round picks and free agents.

Yea that was my thinking, we grab the top QB who has looked great in college and pair him with the new coach.

(01-08-2019, 11:19 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: The reality of getting Haskins is that in order to get him, you are going to need to get up in the top 5.  That's a lot of draft capital.

How did that model work for us back in the 2000s? 

I also do not think it will be easier to get a QB next year. Where we are right now we can move up to the top 5 without giving up a ridiculous amount. 

Now next year we have a MUCH easier schedule, Dalton will still be here and the defense SHOULD be better. We were 4-1 with Austin at D coordinator before we got hit by a ton of injuries. I would bet good money we will be picking 15-25 next year which means we miss out on the top QBs and have to give up a TON more to move up into the top 5 to get our guy IF we can trade up to take the top guys, this year we have this chance because the top 5 teams aren't QB needy.

Next year the top 3 could be the Giants, Jags, and Redskins who all still need QB and we miss out on all of them.
Reply/Quote