Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals playcalling exposes Burrow to hits
We were rushing for 8 yards per carry on 8 attempts.

The Ravens lead the league in sacks.

For some reason, Zac prefers to have Burrow drop back nearly every time to throw and minimally run.

And Burrow keeps getting hit until he's hurt.

Last night was a game to let Mixon rush for 160 yards and win.
Reply/Quote
Knowing the NFL they will come down HARD on us. They hate us.

Is it really true you don't have to disclose an injury if the player practiced full all week? I saw that on twitter last night.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
I think some of this is Burrow refusal to play from under center. Refusal or inability to read the defense after turning his back to them.

They had their best outing when they were equally under center / shotgun against SF. That playbook has gone out the window.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Yep. Teams tee off on us with the pass rush.

Worst rushing team in nfl by yards.
Reply/Quote
In a game where our Franchise QB was injured for half the game, and we were running the ball well enough.. Joe Mixon ran 16 times yesterday. We ran 59 plays. On the face of it, that seems quite silly to me. I know we were playing from behind, and largely within one possession though.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:17 AM)jj22 Wrote: I think some of this is Burrow refusal to play from under center. Refusal or inability to read the defense after turning his back to them.

They had their best outing when they were equally under center / shotgun against SF. That playbook has gone out the window.

Right on about the SF game. I thought Zac and Callahan had perhaps turned the corner on embracing a new offensive approach. I suppose it was just a one-off game plan to beat the 49'ers.
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:12 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We were rushing for 8 yards per carry on 8 attempts.

For some reason, Zac prefers to have Burrow drop back nearly every time to throw and minimally run.

Mixon had 10 carries by the half, iirc, on pace for 20.  If we want to run more, we need a quality RB behind him.

Letting the play clock constantly run down to zero also isn't helping the OL.  
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:12 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: We were rushing for 8 yards per carry on 8 attempts.

I agree running is important but balance is good but with this team I agree with announcers , you run the ball effective to help Burrow. We were doing that last nite before Burrow was hurt. Also Burrow had less pressure in 1st half than Lamar, our Oline was outperforming their oline in 1st half i felt..
Reply/Quote
Having a quality backup running back would help a lot, especially one like a prime Gio clone that can also pass block.

But even when Burrow was throwing, even Richard Sherman commented on the lack of number of pass blockers for Burrow. Couple that with a shotgun offense and an offensive line that struggles more often than not for clean pockets, Burrow is going to get 'Andrew Luck'ed in a few years as someone else put it last night.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I’m not a fan of mixon but people blaming him completely for lack of production must realize this is essentially a “run and shoot” offense they run which is not going to produce consistently good running game

If you remember during the Super Bowl the final quarter they went to a power formation run game under center and were gashing the rams. They outsmarted themselves and didn’t do it enough
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 12:16 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: I agree running is important but balance is good but with this team I agree with announcers , you run the ball effective to help Burrow. We were doing that last nite before Burrow was hurt. Also Burrow had less pressure in 1st half than Lamar, our Oline was outperforming their oline  in 1st half i felt..

We weren't. We were mainly passing, which is why he got hurt.

Just like in Wash we kept trying to pass on that defense until he hurt his knee.

The playcalling and pass heavy offense is going to shorten his career.
Reply/Quote
In Zac's first season (2019), Mixon had four 100+ yard games.  

Since then, Mixon, in 46 games, has had four more games of 100+ yards.  

It's painfully obvious why Joe Burrow is always hurt.  Poor offensive line play and no viable running game.  If JB wasn't so great at slipping out of ridiculous pressure, he would've been out for the season long ago.
This will keep happening until Burrow can't play anymore.  Zac isn't going to have any epiphany regarding the offensive structure/playcalling.

He had his chance at a ring when the he had guys playing on the cheap.  
I would think the price is right for Mike Brown when it comes to ZT's contract so he won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 11:13 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Knowing the NFL they will come down HARD on us. They hate us.

Is it really true you don't have to disclose an injury if the player practiced full all week? I saw that on twitter last night.

Ummm… they SHOULD come down hard on the Bengals. I don’t think a lot of you guys realize how serious it is to hang one of the most marketable players in the NFL out to to dry like that. 
Reply/Quote
ok so becone a run heavy team like they were in 2021...

burrow's going to want to hold the ball and extend plays

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
I believe there's some merit to your statement, however.

Joe Burrow exposes Joe Burrow to hits all on his own. And, AND, with our offensive line woes continuing, again! Exposes him to hits - A LOT.

They've got to show Volson the door, and others
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:28 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I believe there's some merit to your statement, however.

Joe Burrow exposes Joe Burrow to hits all on his own. And, AND, with our offensive line woes continuing, again! Exposes him to hits - A LOT.

They've got to show Volson the door, and others

get rid of pollack, and get better o-line scouts. And dont be afraid to invest a 1st rounder into the OL in 2024

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:31 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: get rid of pollack, and get better o-line scouts. And dont be afraid to invest a 1st rounder into the OL in 2024

They'll call up a ketchup manufacturer rep for advice first.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:21 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: In Zac's first season (2019), Mixon had four 100+ yard games.  

They were 1-3 in those four games in 2019, with a scoring differential of -55.

Mixon has averaged only 3.9ypc since the start of 2020, the 4 100+ yard games he had since then the Bengals are 4-0 in.

Getting 100+ yard games just for the sake of it while getting your ass beaten isn't productive. If Mixon and the Run Game Coordinator were better, he would have more carries and more 100+ yard games, but at the end of the day you need to do what you need to in order to win.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 12:36 PM)Millhouse Wrote: Having a quality backup running back would help a lot, especially one like a prime Gio clone that can also pass block.

But even when Burrow was throwing, even Richard Sherman commented on the lack of number of pass blockers for Burrow. Couple that with a shotgun offense and an offensive line that struggles more often than not for clean pockets, Burrow is going to get 'Andrew Luck'ed in a few years as someone else put it last night.

Richard's comment confused me. We were running Mix, AND using him on screens as an extension of the run. I also remember Drew Sample in the backfield to block on a few plays. The back was in the backfield to help block too with Drew. WTF was he watching? Fair to say it in previous games, but the first half they were actually doing what he said they weren't. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(11-17-2023, 02:21 PM)2MinutesHate Wrote: In Zac's first season (2019), Mixon had four 100+ yard games.  

It's painfully obvious why Joe Burrow is always hurt.  Poor offensive line play and no viable running game.  If JB wasn't so great at slipping out of ridiculous pressure, he would've been out for the season long ago.
This will keep happening until Burrow can't play anymore.  Zac isn't going to have any epiphany regarding the offensive structure/playcalling.

He had his chance at a ring when the he had guys playing on the cheap.  
I would think the price is right for Mike Brown when it comes to ZT's contract so he won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

running for 4.2 ypc and less is an inefficient run game. If the running game was more productive and not crap, yes, they should and prob would run the ball more. But the run game has been bad for a long time now. Even in 2021. They ranked 24th in yards per carry

Reply/Quote