Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals rank 28th in rookie snaps
(02-03-2017, 04:47 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: In 2008, John Thornton had to go over to the coaches and tell them to put Pat Sims into the game and get him snaps. I don't think Billings would've played 50% of the snaps.

Yeah but pat Sims isn't Andrew billings... Plus peko really took a step back this year.
Reply/Quote
(02-01-2017, 05:09 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Strange the Falcons and the Patriots are much higher.

Playing rookies over our veterans now matter how poorly the vets are playing is heresy!!!!

The Falcons and Patriots drafted better.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
I have always thought that the Bengal used about as many young players as any of the other good teams in the league. good teams usually have fewer holes for rookies to fill.

Here are the top ten teams in regular season victories over the last three years and how many starts they have gotten from their draft picks over that span.

NUMBER OF STARTS BY PLAYERS FROM LAST THREE DRAFTS

KC.....230
GB.....228
Dal....200
Car....188
NE.....159
Cin....154
Pitt....151
Den...148
Ari.....147
Sea...122

NUMBER OF PICKS WHO HAVE STARTED AT LEAST 16 GAMES OVER LAST THREE YEARS

KC....6
Dal...5
GB...5
NE...4
Car...4
Cin...3
Den..3
Ari...3
Sea..3
Pitt...2

So the bengals are pretty much middle of the pack when it comes to good team playing draft picks early.

I would mention that these numbers do not include Ryan Hewitt who has started 34 games for the Bengals over the last three years, but I am sure some of these other teams also have undrafted free agents from the last 3 years who have started at least 16 games. They are not included because I just don't have an easy way to look up that info,
Reply/Quote
(02-04-2017, 11:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have always thought that the Bengal used about as many young players as any of the other good teams in the league.  good teams usually have fewer holes for rookies to fill.

Here are the top ten teams in regular season victories over the last three years and how many starts they have gotten from their draft picks over that span.

NUMBER OF STARTS BY PLAYERS FROM LAST THREE DRAFTS

KC.....230
GB.....228
Dal....200
Car....188
NE.....159
Cin....154
Pitt....151
Den...148
Ari.....147
Sea...122

NUMBER OF PICKS WHO HAVE STARTED AT LEAST 16 GAMES OVER LAST THREE YEARS

KC....6
Dal...5
GB...5
NE...4
Car...4
Cin...3
Den..3
Ari...3
Sea..3
Pitt...2

So the bengals are pretty much middle of the pack when it comes to good team playing draft picks early.

I would mention that these numbers do not include Ryan Hewitt who has started 34 games for the Bengals over the last three years, but I am sure some of these other teams also have undrafted free agents from the last 3 years who have started at least 16 games.  They are not included because I just don't have an easy way to look up that info,

I wonder where we would fall if you only say their rookie year and not over the 3 year span. The whole topic is about their rookie year, so this is a little bit of misdirection/spin.
Reply/Quote
Part of the problem is the Bengal coaches are notorious for being slow to pull the trigger on poor performing players. Look at how many games Nugent cost us this year before they cut him (three, 2 losses and the tie). Or leaving Og in at RT for so long when they should have benched him by halftime of Game 2 at the latest. Then there was letting Bodine "play" Center all season until they FINALLY benched him for part of the second Rat game for TJ Johnson - amazingly when Johnson was in all of a sudden the line looked far better - so of course what do they do? Put Bodine back in and the interior line follies promptly started back up.

And so on and so on.
Reply/Quote