Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals ranked 31st in NFL uniform ranks by Uni Watch
If only jerseys won football games...
[Image: bey.gif]
Reply/Quote
Uni-Watch is one of my favorite websites. If you like design and/or sports history, then it's a really fun read everyday.  I don't care much for most of what he writes for ESPN, though.

(05-21-2015, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm pretty sure that they just copied the same thing they wrote last year and pasted it in for this year's "analysis".

I'm 99.9% sure that's the same thing he wrote last year.

Quote:I don't get the infatuation with uniforms like the Steelers (ranked 1st). They are plain and boring. Having a logo on one side of the helmet and not the other is asymmetrical. Whereas the Bengals are criticized for their uniforms being more of a costume for Halloween (the black and orange being a big association of that)...but that's what a Bengal tiger's colors are, so what are the Bengals supposed to use?

"Plain and boring" to you reads as '"Classic" to Lukas. If you're familiar with his work this list is pretty much in line with everything else he writes.

(05-21-2015, 02:17 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Any uniform list that doesn't have the Browns in last place, is irrelevant.

It'll be last (or close to it) next year. Since it hasn't been on the field yet, he doesn't grade it out fully.  But it's literally everything he hates in uniform design.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 05:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Personally I've always liked our uniforms, and think they are in the top 10 uniforms in the league.

Other uniforms I like:
Carolina
Patriots
49ers
Rams
Powder Blue Chargers.

I hate to bring up alternate uniforms  Rolleyes  but does anyone else think a white with black stripes alternate could be workable? I want a snow tiger alternate haha

I'm with you on Carolina, San Diego, and San Francisco from a color scheme standpoint, but I hate when teams try to image 3D idea onto a helmet. That said, I don't like the Vikings or Rams, and don't get me started on the "flying Elvis".
Reply/Quote
Anybody who praises those dumbass Steeler bumblebee throwbacks immediately disqualifies himself from any role in judging uniforms.
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12913780/uni-watch-power-rankings-nfl-best-worst-uniforms

Bengals ranked only above the Jags with the following reasoning:
I'm pretty sure that they just copied the same thing they wrote last year and pasted it in for this year's "analysis".

I don't get the infatuation with uniforms like the Steelers (ranked 1st). They are plain and boring. Having a logo on one side of the helmet and not the other is asymmetrical. Whereas the Bengals are criticized for their uniforms being more of a costume for Halloween (the black and orange being a big association of that)...but that's what a Bengal tiger's colors are, so what are the Bengals supposed to use?

It seems that if the Bengals are to climb any kind of uniform rankings, they will have to get rid of any accent colors or patterns on their uniforms and have just one solid primary color on their jerseys and pants.

Your thoughts on the above rankings?

When they ranked the Steelers first, were they thinking of those horrific bumblebee throwback uniforms they wear so often? I think the Bengals uniforms are among the best in the league. The only ones I like better are the Seahawks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 05:56 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Personally I've always liked our uniforms, and think they are in the top 10 uniforms in the league.

Other uniforms I like:
Carolina
Patriots
49ers
Rams
Powder Blue Chargers.

I hate to bring up alternate uniforms  Rolleyes  but does anyone else think a white with black stripes alternate could be workable? I want a snow tiger alternate haha

Yeah, the powder blue Chargers uni's are nice.

I wouldn't mind a snow tiger alternate either. Just keep the helmets with the stripes at all costs.
Reply/Quote
Worst unis in NFL.....

TB
Seattle
The new Browns
Jags
Jets, Packers, Steelers throwbacks

The Bengals are top half of the league... All you whack MCs better recognize!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Patriots and Broncos uniforms suck too.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I don't see how we are among the worst..

I always saw us in the Top 5, always enjoy seeing those stripes Rock On
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 04:44 PM)BritishBengal Wrote: I've mentioned this a few times on the old boards, a uni only looks daft when the franchise it represents has a unsuccessful history. Had the Bengals been one of the dominant teams of the last few decades, winning superbowls, having HoF players, then the strips would represent winning and success.

There is a reason the Steelers and Packers are in the top 3 and the Jags and Bengals languish bottom.

If the Packers had the same history as the Bengals, that uni would look a whole lot more ridiculous.

Yeah, I'd imagine there's some validity to that. Percepcion probably means as much as actual appearance when you're discussing uniforms.

(05-21-2015, 04:09 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Awesome lids....horrible uniforms.

But, there's also that. Give me the '97-'03 uniforms before we got that silly white piping.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
We ARE one of the worst. The only thing that saves us is our helmets. We went from being one of the best dressed teams in the league, to looking like crap. Bring back the classic, beautiful unis that we debuted with the gorgeous helmets, and we have a winner
Reply/Quote
(05-21-2015, 09:15 PM)Harmening Wrote: We ARE one of the worst.  The only thing that saves us is our helmets.  We went from being one of the best dressed teams in the league, to looking like crap.  Bring back the classic, beautiful unis that we debuted with the gorgeous helmets, and we have a winner

Yerp. Give me the uniforms from 2002 with the modern fit and you have a glorious, beautiful winner.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
For my money the Jets, Chiefs, Vikings, Raiders, baby blue Chargers, and Seahawks with silver and less green trim are the top of the heap. The Bengals helmet is nice, but the rest of the uni needs a major overhaul.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
He's got the Titans ranked #15? They'd rank #32 in my book. Pastels just don't belong in the NFL.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
I would love to see some minor tweeks to the current uniform.

Get rid of the white panels on the sides of the jerseys. They really make the uni less appealing. I wouldn't mind seeing a "remix" by Nike. No space age numbers or off the wall colors, but just a little modernization to the scheme.
Reply/Quote
After some more thought, I definitely think the away uniforms could use some work. We have way too much white, and on a bad day, our asses covered in green lol
Reply/Quote
This is just stupid. Are all holiday colors off limits?
Isn't brown used for Thanksgiving?
Reply/Quote
2010s and mid 90s are my favorites.
The first jersey I ever bought was a custom made Blake jersey. It's a little tight around the middle, now lol.
Reply/Quote
I would put the Bengals in the top ten. Pittsburgh's bumble bee uniform might be the worst of any uniform design ever used. I like the fact that the Bengals have 5 uniform options...at least there is some effort. Some teams only had two.
Reply/Quote
Jags Raiders Browns Jets have worse uniforms to me I like the look of Bengals uniforms i wish they would just spice it up maybe something like this [Image: JesseAlkire_CincinnatiBengals.jpg?resize=640%2C420]

[Image: JesseAlkire_CincinnatiBengals_helmet.jpg...=640%2C420]

But maybe keep home uniform black instead of changing it to Orange
Reply/Quote