Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals re-sign Winston
Depth signing, but surprising with two drafted linemen in back to back rounds.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3648/eric-Winston
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: Depth signing, but surprising with two drafted linemen in back to back rounds.

Thought Winston would be long gone. hrmmm
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:27 PM)jj22 Wrote: Depth signing, but surprising with two drafted linemen in back to back rounds.

Not really. Ogubehi is coming off an injury and not sure what we have in Fisher being a starting RT. This adds quality backup and someone who can help teach both young players. It's a good move and also cheap.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote

Good backup and can play OT and OG. Nada bad thing.
Reply/Quote
A little surprised by this one. Well now we know who Ced's backup will be.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote

I'm not surprised at all. He'll be the 1st OL off the bench again this year. Fisher is still a project.

Reply/Quote
Winston is a solid person and this is a good move.
Reply/Quote
This also should close the book officially on any potential Andre Smith re-signing.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Actually Fisher was the swing tackle last year with Winston the swing guard. I envision a similar setup this year except Fisher or Ced start the other is the swing and Fisher is still swing guard. Nothing really new here.
Reply/Quote
I get the idea of depth signings by why are we even worried about guys like this, Tate, and Johnson this early in free agency? Those players weren't going anywhere anytime soon so focus should be on the key free agents and the draft process instead of locking these scrubs up for another year.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:42 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I get the idea of depth signings by why are we even worried about guys like this, Tate, and Johnson this early in free agency? Those players weren't going anywhere anytime soon so focus should be on the key free agents and the draft process instead of locking these scrubs up for another year.

Johnson is an ERFA. NFL teams always tender these guys before free agency.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:29 PM)BengalChris Wrote: I'm not surprised at all. He'll be the 1st OL off the bench again this year. Fisher is still a project.

If so after we took back to back linemen in the first two rounds and passed up on positions. That's pretty bad they still aren't ready.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 06:42 PM)JungleRock85 Wrote: I get the idea of depth signings by why are we even worried about guys like this, Tate, and Johnson this early in free agency? Those players weren't going anywhere anytime soon so focus should be on the key free agents and the draft process instead of locking these scrubs up for another year.

They are easy signings so why not get them over with. I understand the desire to focus on Marvin and Adam and George but it takes both sides to get a deal done. The guys like Tate and Winston and Johnson are good depth guys who know the system and are not hurting the negotiations with the big name guys.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
He was garbage when he had to play last year. This is like Roland. Guy sticks around too long.

I haven't heard anything about Andre Smith. Save that million you spent on Winston and offer a few to Andre. At least keep the much better younger guy who will be a good starter if the young guys are not ready.

I'd rather give Andre 4-5mil than give Winston 1mil 99.9 times out of 100.

Are undefeated season ended last year when Winston had to start against the Texans and we scored 6 points.

I hope there is no guaranteed money in the deal.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 07:25 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: He was garbage when he had to play last year. This is like Roland. Guy sticks around too long.

I haven't heard anything about Andre Smith. Save that million you spent on Winston and offer a few to Andre. At least keep the much better younger guy who will be a good starter if the young guys are not ready.

I'd rather give Andre 4-5mil than give Winston 1mil 99.9 times out of 100.

Are undefeated season ended last year when Winston had to start against the Texans and we scored 6 points.

I hope there is no guaranteed money in the deal.

Andre was not good last year either and we shouldn't pay him like he is a first rounder anymore.

Pay Andre what his play dictates and i am for bringing him back. Meanwhile i think the coaches like our
first two OT's from last Draft with Whit and Winston for now. But signing Winston for depth i doubt has
much to do with Andre getting re-signed here or not in the end.

I doubt there is any guaranteed money in the deal.
Reply/Quote
SOOPUR BUL!
Our father, who art in Hell
Unhallowed, be thy name
Cursed be thy sons and daughters
Of our nemesis who are to blame
Thy kingdom come, Nema
Reply/Quote
I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. They kept Winston last year even with the addition of 2 rookie tackles (Ogbuehi was healthy later in the season).

Now they're letting Andre go, so why wouldn't they keep Winston?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 08:37 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'm not sure why anyone is surprised. They kept Winston last year even with the addition of 2 rookie tackles (Ogbuehi was healthy later in the season).

Now they're letting Andre go, so why wouldn't they keep Winston?

He's also the only backup G on roster right now.

In a few months we will draft a C/G type in the draft. 
If he looks the part in pre-season, Winston could be cut. 
Reply/Quote
I always like signings like these. Guy is a good athlete, but an even better person. He's the type of guy you like having in your locker room. There's something to be said for good character vets
Reply/Quote
(03-09-2016, 08:39 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He's also the only backup G on roster right now.

In a few months we will draft a C/G type in the draft. 
If he looks the part in pre-season, Winston could be cut. 

Now this I could see. For now it makes sense to sign him, but if we draft some o-linemen I'm sure he'll be on the bubble.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote