Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals reportedly sign FA OL John Jerry
(06-20-2019, 11:37 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Price wasn't good last season but i'm willing to give him a pass due to injuries. He tore his pec at the combine and that probably set him back training wise coming into the season. Then in the second game of the season vs the Ravens he sprains his ankle and misses 6 games. Hopefully he will play better in year two with a full offseason and him being completely healthy. But I understand why fans would worry, we haven't been getting much production from our first round picks the last few years outside of William Jackson III.  

I didn't say he was going to be bad. I said he had a bad season and I hope he doesn't end up on the same path as Ogbuehi and Fisher. There's a difference.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 08:18 PM)Whatever Wrote: Trey is low end of average and on a one year tender.  Jordan isn't close to Price as a prospect, hence why he went in the 4th and Price went in the 1st, and Jordan isn't even practicing at C.  Fisher was a 2nd round pick that was projected in the 1st and the Begals publicly admitted thinking about taking at 21.

Trey might be on the low end of average but he was better than Price last year. And he was tendered because they want to see if he can keep (or improve) that success as last year. I wasn't trying to say Jordan would replace Price at C but there is a third C prospect on the roster just in case Price falters. Price, to me, feels like when the Bengals picked Fisher in 2015. The Bengals were prepared to take Fisher at 21 like you said but didn't think Ogbuehi would be there too. On the flip side, Ragnow was very likely going to be the pick at 21 but he wasn't there. Therefore, they went with a guy they also had rated about the same range in Price and took him there since Ragnow wasn't available. Price probably was more in the 30-40 range.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 12:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What's this for? I don't see how you can say that Price was good last year. He was "inconsistent" at best.

Because, like I've pointed out many times, due to his injury to his pectoral at the combine, lack of being able to lift weights, no OTA's, no training camp, and injuring his leg in the first game then missing the 1st part of the season, his "Inconsistent" play was really more than anyone should have expected. You said he did not set a good overall example.... I think what he was able to do coming in cold and starting what is arguably the hardest spot for a rookie, with no prep, was amazing. I suspect we will see the real Billy Price this year.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 08:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Because, like I've pointed out many times, due to his injury to his pectoral at the combine, lack of being able to lift weights, no OTA's, no training camp, and injuring his leg in the first game then missing the 1st part of the season, his "Inconsistent" play was really more than anyone should have expected. You said he did not set a good overall example.... I think what he was able to do coming in cold and starting what is arguably the hardest spot for a rookie, with no prep, was amazing. I suspect we will see the real Billy Price this year.

I think we all hope Price gets better, but he was bad last year, no two ways around it.  Obviously, he had injuries that hampered him.  However, Ogbuehi had worse injuries  and didn't get the same benefit of the doubt that Price does.  
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 08:36 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I didn't say he was going to be bad. I said he had a bad season and I hope he doesn't end up on the same path as Ogbuehi and Fisher. There's a difference.

I understand , I hope to god they don’t turn out like those two. I feel like Fisher and Ogbuehi both lacked mental toughness and were finesse lineman. Ogbuehi seemed like just an athletic guy who was never in love with the game of football or cared enough to do the extra things to get better. Dave Lapham basically hinted at this when talking about Ogbuehi on multiple occasions. The fact that Fisher wanted to move to TE to me shows that Fisher dosen’t have confidence in himself as a tackle and that he never embraced being a lineman. Reminded me of youth football when the biggest kid wants to be a running back lol. I think Price embraces being a lineman and has a work ethic Ogbuehi never had. Hopefully it translates to the field.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 08:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Because, like I've pointed out many times, due to his injury to his pectoral at the combine, lack of being able to lift weights, no OTA's, no training camp, and injuring his leg in the first game then missing the 1st part of the season, his "Inconsistent" play was really more than anyone should have expected. You said he did not set a good overall example.... I think what he was able to do coming in cold and starting what is arguably the hardest spot for a rookie, with no prep, was amazing. I suspect we will see the real Billy Price this year.

Ogbuehi was hurt for all but 73 snaps of his rookie year yet people didn't give him the benefit of the doubt like they did with Price.
Similar with Ross.
I hope Billy Price improves. I think he's better than what he showed last year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 09:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Ogbuehi was hurt for all but 73 snaps of his rookie year yet people didn't give him the benefit of the doubt like they did with Price.
Similar with Ross.

Center definitely seems like a tough position for rookies to thrive at.

That said, I don't know that anyone here can guarantee he improves for sure. One would expect him to, but who knows?
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 09:44 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Ogbuehi was hurt for all but 73 snaps of his rookie year yet people didn't give him the benefit of the doubt like they did with Price.
Similar with Ross.

I gave CO the benefit well into his 2nd season. He made zero gains in his game. Price was getting better towards the end of his rookie season. And I also don't gloss over the fact Price had Redmond on his right side, which was more of a hindrance than a help....
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 06:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't think that is the only other option.

Plus we paid Vincent Rey $5 million to be a back up, so why not Boling?

Well lets discuss the other options then. What other options do you think we have?

As for Vincent Rey, when did he have a $5 million cap hit like Boling does this year (actually $5.75 million)?

Rey had cap hits of $4.5 mil (2016), $3.25 mil (2017) and $2.75 mil (2018). Also - and this is a huge difference - Rey would've produced almost zero cap savings had he been cut at any point. Cutting Boling would save $5.25 million against the cap. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/vincent-rey-7589/
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/clint-boling-7820/
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
They said they want the best 5 on the line. Who's better than Boling? Glenn is a huge man, but has not played Guard yet in the NFL, if I remember right. Miller? Hart? Jordan? Who is the 5th guy that knocks Boling off the line?
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 01:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Cutting Boling would save $5.25 million against the cap. 

Nothing like saving money to save money.  That's what I go to work for, the ability to save a big pile of money.  Nothing like being able to point to a big pile of money and say, "Will you look at that big pile of money?  Just look at it.  Will you just look at it?"  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 01:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They said they want the best 5 on the line. Who's better than Boling? Glenn is a huge man, but has not played Guard yet in the NFL, if I remember right. Miller? Hart? Jordan? Who is the 5th guy that knocks Boling off the line?

I think the coaches might see it a bit differently than we do. 

- They seem set on Jonah starting his career at LT
- Glenn is playing at LG. Whether or not he excels will decide who gets cut, IMO
- Price is the Center
- Miller is almost certainly the RG
- They're in love with Hart whether people want to believe it or not

I would reverse your question and ask where does Boling fit in? Possibly back at LG if Glenn can't adapt. Then Glenn is definitely a cut. I guess he could start at RG, maybe? They gave Miller a good contract though, so I certainly wouldn't bet on it. People want him to start over Hart, but throwing Boling at RT is going to be an experiment, and he won't have much time to get acclimated - and again - the coaches love Hart and we paid the guy well. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 01:44 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Nothing like saving money to save money.  That's what I go to work for, the ability to save a big pile of money.  Nothing like being able to point to a big pile of money and say, "Will you look at that big pile of money?  Just look at it.  Will you just look at it?"  

[/url][url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo

We're talking about Mike Brown here. I'm sure he'd love to roll over more money into his pocket errr for future extensions.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 01:33 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well lets discuss the other options then. What other options do you think we have?

The only position on the O-line that I consider locks are Price at OC and Williams at LT.  Other than that we have 

Glenn.....$9.5 million
Hart.......$5.9 million
Boling....$5.8 million
Miller.....$5.3 million

That is 4 bodies for 3 positions.  I know Hobson has said Hart is starting at RT, but this time 2 years we signed Andre Smith to be our starting RG.

I think we keep all 4 of these guys in order to have the best 5 starters and solid depth.  And I think they wait until training camp to work it out.  Only way Boling gets released is if he has serious health/injury problem.  He is the only one of these guys who has started at both OT and OG.
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only position on the O-line that I consider locks are Price at OC and Williams at LT.  Other than that we have 

Glenn.....$9.5 million
Hart.......$5.9 million
Boling....$5.8 million
Miller.....$5.3 million

That is 4 bodies for 3 positions.  I know Hobson has said Hart is starting at RT, but this time 2 years we signed Andre Smith to be our starting RG.

I think we keep all 4 of these guys in order to have the best 5 starters and solid depth.  And I think they wait until training camp to work it out.  Only way Boling gets released is if he has serious health/injury problem.  He is the only one of these guys who has started at both OT and OG.

well I think we are gonna see a few jumbo sets this year with an OL on the field.
whos #74
Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 01:36 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They said they want the best 5 on the line. Who's better than Boling? Glenn is a huge man, but has not played Guard yet in the NFL, if I remember right. Miller? Hart? Jordan? Who is the 5th guy that knocks Boling off the line?

Boling is definitely one of the best 5.
Williams is also expected to be one of the best.
For C, it's between Price and Hopkins.
RG is probably Miller or Jerry. Maybe Price if Hopkins is better at C.
Glenn or Jerry might be best at LG if Boling isn't there but I'd be inclined to give Westerman a shot. He's played rather well at LG when given a chance.

Regardless, Boling is for sure deserving of a starting spot.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-21-2019, 02:00 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The only position on the O-line that I consider locks are Price at OC and Williams at LT.  Other than that we have 

Glenn.....$9.5 million
Hart.......$5.9 million
Boling....$5.8 million
Miller.....$5.3 million

Well obviously anything is possible, but I don't see them keeping Boling around at $5.75 million on the bench. I agree that they'll wait until TC, they'll then see how things are shaking out, and the one who gets the short end will get cut. The John Jerry signing was for starting experience and depth behind whoever wins the LG spot. He could also be a "break glass" player in case Glenn doesn't acclimate well and Boling is hurt. 

I'd be surprised if Hart isn't the RT. Very surprised. Andre Smith was discussed as the RG, but it was a new position for him, he wasn't the incumbent, and we had a very iffy situation at RT, where Smith wound up starting for 8 games. Not to mention we were paying Smith less than half what Hart will be making this season.
Reply/Quote