Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals reportedly sign FA OL John Jerry
(06-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: ...and we'd be paying him that to ride pine?

No.  If he is healthy he will be a starter.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 03:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Finally someone who understands why we let Whit walk.

Whitt doesn’t fit what I was talking about. We should have signed Whitt. You can’t compare the 2.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 04:35 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Whitt doesn’t fit what I was talking about. We should have signed Whitt. You can’t compare the 2.

Oh, I see.  The Bengals should use the amazing power of hindsight.  That way than can wait and see how a move works out before they make it.

That way they will look as smart as all the fans here.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 07:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: And rightfully so imo. Our issues have been hanging on to guys too long, eating up cap and being loyal. None of which wins down the long stretch.

It was also the fact that the Bengals spent two premium picks on OT in 2015 and Paul Alexander had had pretty good success with OL drafted within the first two rounds. Unfortunately, Alexander's techniques had become outdated and he thought the uber-athletic Ogbuehi and Fisher would eventually come into form after a few years but they didn't.

I do find it interesting that I haven't seen as much vitriol for Price after Year 1 as we saw with Ogbuehi.
Ogbuehi only played 73 snaps his rookie year so his 2016 year was really his rookie year, and he graded out at 60.4 that year (his highest during his Bengals tenure).
Price started 10 games this past year and put up a grade of 49.4. There were a few games where he didn't allow a sack, hit, or hurry though, so maybe that's why there was more optimism for Price over Ogbuehi.

Hopefully Price actually establishes himself this year and doesn't follow the same path as Ogbuehi, Fisher, or even Bodine, but he didn't set a good overall example his rookie year. Hopkins was a more consistent C.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 12:09 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: It's going to get spent. We were apparently interested in McCoy. He didn't even come here. And we were reportedly interested in Shaq Barrett. He supposedly had a visit. But signed with the Bucs early the next day after he was "here." 

It takes two to tango. There are plenty of guys who are here already that could get a new contract this year. 

We had a pretty bad off season as far as media coverage and our ability to attract free agents. Browns are super bowl champs, steelers and ravens are who they are. Bengals hire some dude because he coached with McVay. One of the last head coaches hired. People didn't want the DC job. Coming off a losing season with the whole team having some down right ugly stuff on film. 

Winning will help us attract better free agents at lower prices. And give our head coach and his coaching staff a little more street cred.

5 mil for a guy who has started 106 of our last 112 regular season games and can play all 5 spots and has been our best OL the last couple years. I think it is well worth it if the goal is winning games. 

Bad teams sign free agents all the time. It's the "quality at a low price" thing that's probably holding us back. When you're bad, you have to pay. 

Jerry has started 101 games, has more experience working with our current o-line coach and his blocking schemes, and he's making the vet minimum. Not to mention he's healthy and Boling is not. Not sure why people think Boling is so untouchable. Dude has never been a great player, just decent, and he's not even been that over the last couple years.

(06-19-2019, 11:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yet you all wanted Hart and his 7 mil to ride the pine?

No, I don't. I think Hart was overpaid, but I also think he's probably our best option at RT.

(06-19-2019, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  If he is healthy he will be a starter.

So you think we will pay Glenn $9.25 million to sit the bench?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 06:16 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: So you think we will pay Glenn $9.25 million to sit the bench?

I don't think that is the only other option.

Plus we paid Vincent Rey $5 million to be a back up, so why not Boling?
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 06:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Hopefully Price actually establishes himself this year and doesn't follow the same path as Ogbuehi, Fisher, or even Bodine, but he didn't set a good overall example his rookie year. Hopkins was a more consistent C.

Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 06:30 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Plus we paid Vincent Rey $5 million to be a back up, so why not Boling?

Old ways won't open new doors.  Cool

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 09:40 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Old ways won't open new doors.  Cool

Cutting solid vets when we have a paper thin O-line won't win games.

We don't need the cap space and there are no good free agents out there that we could sign to get a lot better.
Reply/Quote
Starting John Jerry over a healthy Clint Boling at LG. Would be like starting Nate livings over Evan Mathis.

But hey, Philly could use a LG
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 09:40 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Old ways won't open new doors.  Cool

Depth is important.

cause as Bengal fans know  injuries happen
Reply/Quote
I don't care one Whit about saving Mike Brown and Family any money (see what I did there?). The team has cap space and Boling is super versatile... If healthy he needs to stay.
Go Benton Panthers!!
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 10:37 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Depth is important.

cause as Bengal fans know  injuries happen

Depth yes. But if injured how much depth are you adding? Simply saying if your going to pay a guy, you need to be able to rely on the guy. I think we've kept "some" players longer than we should have in the past is all. If Boling is healthy, then we should pay him. If health is an issue, we should weigh our options. If there are no options, then try to make the best of the situation. If there is, make the move.

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 08:18 AM)Sled21 Wrote:  Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

What's this for? I don't see how you can say that Price was good last year. He was "inconsistent" at best.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 06:05 PM)ochocincos Wrote: It was also the fact that the Bengals spent two premium picks on OT in 2015 and Paul Alexander had had pretty good success with OL drafted within the first two rounds. Unfortunately, Alexander's techniques had become outdated and he thought the uber-athletic Ogbuehi and Fisher would eventually come into form after a few years but they didn't.

I do find it interesting that I haven't seen as much vitriol for Price after Year 1 as we saw with Ogbuehi.
Ogbuehi only played 73 snaps his rookie year so his 2016 year was really his rookie year, and he graded out at 60.4 that year (his highest during his Bengals tenure).
Price started 10 games this past year and put up a grade of 49.4. There were a few games where he didn't allow a sack, hit, or hurry though, so maybe that's why there was more optimism for Price over Ogbuehi.

Hopefully Price actually establishes himself this year and doesn't follow the same path as Ogbuehi, Fisher, or even Bodine, but he didn't set a good overall example his rookie year. Hopkins was a more consistent C.

I think it's a number of different factors with Og and Price.  More was expected out of Og because he was drafted to replace an all time Bengals great in Whitworth.  Price was drafted into a spot where he really can't be much worse than what we have trotted out there for going on a decade.  Og has also been a bit of a whipping boy for fans that are upset with the FO for not resigning Whit.  The fact that he sucked justified those fans' opinion that they should have thrown monster money at Whit so he would retire as a Bengal.  Conversely, many of us have been screaming for them to draft a C in 1 or 2 for a long time and really want Price to be good to justify that position.  Plus, Price played at Ohio State, and right or wrong, players that came from a college that's close to their NFL team will always get extra leash from the fans.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 12:57 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think it's a number of different factors with Og and Price.  More was expected out of Og because he was drafted to replace an all time Bengals great in Whitworth.  Price was drafted into a spot where he really can't be much worse than what we have trotted out there for going on a decade.  Og has also been a bit of a whipping boy for fans that are upset with the FO for not resigning Whit.  The fact that he sucked justified those fans' opinion that they should have thrown monster money at Whit so he would retire as a Bengal.  Conversely, many of us have been screaming for them to draft a C in 1 or 2 for a long time and really want Price to be good to justify that position.  Plus, Price played at Ohio State, and right or wrong, players that came from a college that's close to their NFL team will always get extra leash from the fans.

I definitely disagree with you on the bolded point.
Both were the 21st overall pick in their respective draft classes, and therefore I at least had the same expectation out of both of them - an above-average starter. I specifically think of Kevin Zeitler. I didn't necessarily expect someone who was quite as dominant like Whitworth was but at least pretty consistently solid year-to-year. I don't really care whether one was replacing a Pro Bowler in Whit vs Bodine.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 03:13 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I definitely disagree with you on the bolded point.
Both were the 21st overall pick in their respective draft classes, and therefore I at least had the same expectation out of both of them - an above-average starter. I specifically think of Kevin Zeitler. I didn't necessarily expect someone who was quite as dominant like Whitworth was but at least pretty consistently solid year-to-year. I don't really care whether one was replacing a Pro Bowler in Whit vs Bodine.
Which is a perfectly reasonable view, but I think it colors the opinions of many.  If Price develops into an above average starter, he will be a significant upgrade.  If Og had done the same, he'd have still been a big downgrade.

Fisher was also likely a factor.  People were quick to jump on his jock when Og struggled(even though he wasn't much better) because he seemed a reasonable alternative.  Price doesn't have another high draft pick waiting in the wings behind him.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 04:05 PM)Whatever Wrote: Which is a perfectly reasonable view, but I think it colors the opinions of many.  If Price develops into an above average starter, he will be a significant upgrade.  If Og had done the same, he'd have still been a big downgrade.

Fisher was also likely a factor.  People were quick to jump on his jock when Og struggled(even though he wasn't much better) because he seemed a reasonable alternative.  Price doesn't have another high draft pick waiting in the wings behind him.

He may not have a high draft pick but he does have someone who proved solid last year, Trey Hopkins. And now he has the guy who took his spot at Ohio St, Michael Jordan. Price has competition too.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 05:20 PM)ochocincos Wrote: He may not have a high draft pick but he does have someone who proved solid last year, Trey Hopkins. And now he has the guy who took his spot at Ohio St, Michael Jordan. Price has competition too.

Trey is low end of average and on a one year tender.  Jordan isn't close to Price as a prospect, hence why he went in the 4th and Price went in the 1st, and Jordan isn't even practicing at C.  Fisher was a 2nd round pick that was projected in the 1st and the Begals publicly admitted thinking about taking at 21.
Reply/Quote
(06-20-2019, 12:32 PM)ochocincos Wrote: What's this for? I don't see how you can say that Price was good last year. He was "inconsistent" at best.

Price wasn't good last season but i'm willing to give him a pass due to injuries. He tore his pec at the combine and that probably set him back training wise coming into the season. Then in the second game of the season vs the Ravens he sprains his ankle and misses 6 games. Hopefully he will play better in year two with a full offseason and him being completely healthy. But I understand why fans would worry, we haven't been getting much production from our first round picks the last few years outside of William Jackson III.  
Reply/Quote