Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals reportedly sign FA OL John Jerry
(06-10-2019, 05:57 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: We like signing guys that are cheap.

No one does meh in Free Agency like the Bengals. Another middling signee, and with a checkered past to boot. Maybe Incognito comes in for a tire kicking session later this week?
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
Jerry is 6'5", 340lbs. Redmond is 6'5", 304lbs. Westerman is 6'4", 298lbs. There's no denying our line is trending towards being bigger.
Reply/Quote
I remember Jerry. I wanted us to draft him in the 3rd round in 2010. Unfortunately, he was taken before our pick and we selected Jordan Shipley.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2019, 08:41 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Jerry is 6'5", 340lbs. Redmond is 6'5", 304lbs. Westerman is 6'4", 298lbs. There's no denying our line is trending towards being bigger.

Yes - Interestingly Jerry is supposedly a Poor run blocker and a good pass blocker.
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2019, 07:45 AM)t3r3e3 Wrote: No one does meh in Free Agency like the Bengals.  Another middling signee, and with a checkered past to boot.  Maybe Incognito comes in for a tire kicking session later this week?

He's with the Raiders for now. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2019, 07:13 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: When it’s this late in the game, the best options are players the coaches are familiar with. They know Jerry from his Dolphins days, it’s a comfort fit.

I'm not sure anything is particularly comfortable about his Dolphin days..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Not saying Jerry is a good pickup or that he'll even make the team but I'm personally glad to see the Bengals reviewing every option possible. Outside of the Hart contract (which could work out for all we know), they seem committed to strengthening the depth on the OL. We went into last season banking on Redmond or Westerman to get the job done and when that failed we had no options. It also helps that Jerry has played decent in the past just in case his number is called. We still need some more bodies at Tackle but I'm sure that'll come too as camp gets closer.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 05:29 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Not saying Jerry is a good pickup or that he'll even make the team but I'm personally glad to see the Bengals reviewing every option possible. Outside of the Hart contract (which could work out for all we know), they seem committed to strengthening the depth on the OL. We went into last season banking on Redmond or Westerman to get the job done and when that failed we had no options. It also helps that Jerry has played decent in the past just in case his number is called. We still need some more bodies at Tackle but I'm sure that'll come too as camp gets closer.

I know it's a tired argument but the team didn't really try Westerman at all. They seemed adamant about using only Redmond or Hopkins. In limited offensive snaps (96) across 3 games, Westerman played rather well (78.8 according to PFF).

In fact, PFF had Westerman listed as one of the players they'd like to see more of in 2019.
Quote:CHRISTIAN WESTERMANCINCINNATI BENGALS

After a great preseason where he earned an 80.6 overall grade at guard, some thought that Westerman had carved out a role for himself in the starting lineup. That didn’t happen, but Westerman did play 96 snaps throughout the regular season and only allowed two pressures. His 78.8 overall grade was significantly better than starters Clint Boling 61.9 and Alex Redmond 56.4, so perhaps new head coach Zac Taylor will see his value in the coming months.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-players-wed-like-to-see-more-of-in-2019
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 05:29 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: Not saying Jerry is a good pickup or that he'll even make the team but I'm personally glad to see the Bengals reviewing every option possible. Outside of the Hart contract (which could work out for all we know), they seem committed to strengthening the depth on the OL. We went into last season banking on Redmond or Westerman to get the job done and when that failed we had no options. It also helps that Jerry has played decent in the past just in case his number is called. We still need some more bodies at Tackle but I'm sure that'll come too as camp gets closer.

They are adding guys. Quality guys? That part can be debated.

Jerry was out of the league last year.
Miller has been hot and cold in his career in Buffalo.
We know Hart's past.
Williams looks like a solid pick and MJ has potential thru the draft.
Reply/Quote
Regardless of the Boling status, I don’t see how this could be a bad thing.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 06:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know it's a tired argument but the team didn't really try Westerman at all. They seemed adamant about using only Redmond or Hopkins. In limited offensive snaps (96) across 3 games, Westerman played rather well (78.8 according to PFF).

In fact, PFF had Westerman listed as one of the players they'd like to see more of in 2019.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-players-wed-like-to-see-more-of-in-2019

I wasn't trying to criticize Westerman because I think we all agree he didn't get a fair shake from the last regime. I'm saying this is another small difference between the last regime and this one. The last regime decided Redmond would be their guy from the jump and regardless if he struggled or not, they were not going to bench him because they did not trust Westerman at all. Why not bring in another guy for camp like the new staff is doing now if Westerman was THAT "bad"? It's not like Redmond was good in the preseason and then couldn't adjust to real games. Westerman outplayed him by a good margin too and it still wasn't enough. Maybe I'm reading too much into it and this is simply a new staff bringing in a guy that they have experience with but like I said they're going over all options. They see that Boling is hurt and guys like Redmond and Westerman are bad/unproven so bringing in an extra body makes sense. The last regime wouldn't have done that.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 06:08 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I know it's a tired argument but the team didn't really try Westerman at all. They seemed adamant about using only Redmond or Hopkins. In limited offensive snaps (96) across 3 games, Westerman played rather well (78.8 according to PFF).

There really must be more to the story, when it comes to Westerman.  He's been on the team for 3 years, yet failed to unseat anyone for significant playing time.  The puzzling part is that when we've seen him in preseason and limited mop up duty, he's looked pretty dominant.  On the other hand, I can also remember reading things like "he is great moving forward, but lateral movement is sketchy", and "he does well, with the plays that he knows", meaning that he has trouble grasping the NFL playbook.  (I say NFL playbook, because he's had a few different coaches and coordinators to deal with, but let's face it..  Football plays are football plays, the only thing that changes is the wording)

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 07:17 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: They are adding guys. Quality guys? That part can be debated.

Jerry was out of the league last year.
Miller has been hot and cold in his career in Buffalo.
We know Hart's past.
Williams looks like a solid pick and MJ has potential thru the draft.

You're not going to find a starter on the streets at this moment but I don't think it's a stretch to think Jerry could beat out someone like Redmond for a spot. If the team has awful luck with injuries again this season and you have to start a 3rd string guard, Jerry has the experience and better play to lean on. He's also capable of playing tackle supposedly.  But he is older and didn't play last season. He's already getting 1st team reps but that is due to Jonah and Boling's injuries, so it'll be interesting to see how this shapes up once we know the status of Boling.

Then we are hoping that the new offense is a perfect marriage for guys like Miller and Hart. There's more hope for Miller than Hart.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 08:22 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: It's not like Redmond was good in the preseason and then couldn't adjust to real games. Westerman outplayed him by a good margin too and it still wasn't enough.

(06-12-2019, 08:28 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote:   The puzzling part is that when we've seen him in preseason and limited mop up duty, he's looked pretty dominant. 

I still don't understand why people say Westerman is so great.  They act like they have watched him play, but when I mention the time he got blown up and got Dalton sacked on an EX attempt people act like it never happened.

Westerman is mostly hype.  He has never even played 100 snaps in a season.  He has never even played two-thirds of the snaps in a single regular season game. He has not even played enough to get a good idea of how good he is.  How can you judge a guy without even seeing him play a full game?  There might be some plays we don't even attempt to run when Christian on the field.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 08:56 PM)fredtoast Wrote:  How can you judge a guy without even seeing him play a full game? 

Had you chosen to quote my entire post, you would already have your answer..  And, for the record, I didn't "judge" him.  The entire point of my post was that there must be more to the story with him.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I have been a big rooter for Westerman, as I thought the fact he was an undefeated boxer would translate into good use of hands and a necessary level of aggression. Regardless, he has not turned out to be what we hoped as of yet. People keep saying "he wasn't given a chance", and "he should have beat out Redmond", and then wonder why he doesn't get more looks. The coaches have told us why he doesn't get more playing time, and some just refuse to hear it. He lacks the lateral movement necessary to run the schemes we were trying to run mostly, and it seems he has trouble learning or retaining the playbook. There's no doubt he's a mauler when going straight forward, but you have to be more than that. Alexander saw it, Pollack saw it, now it appears Turner is seeing it. While he is better than Redmond in some ways, there are huge parts of his game that are missing, and until he fixes that, he will not be a starting NFL Guard. It's not a mystery, and it's not rocket science.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 08:35 PM)Whodey614 Wrote: You're not going to find a starter on the streets at this moment but I don't think it's a stretch to think Jerry could beat out someone like Redmond for a spot. If the team has awful luck with injuries again this season and you have to start a 3rd string guard, Jerry has the experience and better play to lean on. He's also capable of playing tackle supposedly.  But he is older and didn't play last season. He's already getting 1st team reps but that is due to Jonah and Boling's injuries, so it'll be interesting to see how this shapes up once we know the status of Boling.

Then we are hoping that the new offense is a perfect marriage for guys like Miller and Hart. There's more hope for Miller than Hart.

Jerry off the street might be better than even a guy like Miller.

Our line is full of question marks...everywhere really. Starter and backup. Lots of guys shifting around.
Reply/Quote
(06-12-2019, 09:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Had you chosen to quote my entire post, you would already have your answer..  And, for the record, I didn't "judge" him.  The entire point of my post was that there must be more to the story with him.

No doubt. Especially with how bad our line was the last 2 years. You'd think they would have tried him if he had any potential.

Same with Jefferson on defense. Our LB's were historically bad and he didn't play. That says a lot.
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 07:02 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: No doubt. Especially with how bad our line was the last 2 years. You'd think they would have tried him if he had any potential.

Same with Jefferson on defense. Our LB's were historically bad and he didn't play. That says a lot.

Agree, and I also think that it's a shame.  From what I've read, he's got some physical talent, so the real problem must be centered between his ears.  One would think that with a professional football career on the line, a guy would put in the extra hours, in order to make himself fully usable to the team.  Seeing how the guy made it into UCLA, he can't be totally brain dead, so I'm finding myself leaning toward work ethic issue.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
We're clearing the way to cut either Boling or Glenn, as I've said all along.

To those saying it's a camp body, plenty said the same about Bobby Hart when we signed him.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote