Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Bengals reportedly sign FA OL John Jerry
(06-16-2019, 09:03 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: We're clearing the way to cut either Boling or Glenn, as I've said all along.

To those saying it's a camp body, plenty said the same about Bobby Hart when we signed him.

We may be cutting somebody, but it ain't Boling or Glenn.....
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 09:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We may be cutting somebody, but it ain't Boling or Glenn.....

Well I'd say it's a safe bet to say we will be cutting somebody.

But I agree Glenn and Boling won't be among them. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-16-2019, 09:54 PM)Sled21 Wrote: We may be cutting somebody, but it ain't Boling or Glenn.....

If Glenn wins the LG spot and we already have a much cheaper backup in John Jerry, where do you see Boling going? RT? I just don't see it. He's going to be behind without practicing, and the coaches love Hart. We paid Hart to start. It's possible we keep Boling as a backup, but $5 million is starter money.

Substitute Glenn if Boling wins the job. He's making $9 million. We'll see soon enough.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Boling is still our best lineman, both in terms of versatility and availability. His current injury not withstanding, if it is something that does not retire him, he will be on the 53, either as a starter or a backup.
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 12:21 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: If Glenn wins the LG spot and we already have a much cheaper backup in John Jerry, where do you see Boling going? RT? I just don't see it. He's going to be behind without practicing, and the coaches love Hart. We paid Hart to start. It's possible we keep Boling as a backup, but $5 million is starter money.

Substitute Glenn if Boling wins the job. He's making $9 million. We'll see soon enough.

5 mil isn't a bad price for a guy that can come in off the bench and play anything on the OL outside of Center
Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: 5 mil isn't a bad price for a guy that can come in off the bench and play anything on the OL outside of Center

I honestly think Boling could pick up C too if asked.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-17-2019, 10:16 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: 5 mil isn't a bad price for a guy that can come in off the bench and play anything on the OL outside of Center

I agree.  Also, if this team has any sort of real success this season, having a guy like Boling that can come in and be a good starter on perhaps a stretch run, is a very valuable asset to have on the team.  Plus, having him to at least start the season on the bench might allow for a more complete healing process to happen in his body.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I wrote Jerry off when we first signed him and didn't think he had a chance of making the 53 man roster. But I think I was wrong to do so.

Hopefully the year off did wonders for him physically. I believe Turner when he says he likes size. And a new coaching staff bringing in a familiar veteran and them making the team is not rare.

If we break camp with 10 OL on the 53 I think Jerry has a good chance of being one of the 10. If we only keep 9 then his chances drop.

Jonah, Cordy, Price, Miller, Hart, Boling, Jerry, Hopkins, Westerman, MJ (Redmond suspended)
Reply/Quote

Boling's current cap hit ranks 22nd among all guards. We're talking about 64 starting guards and Boling ranks 22nd. 

...and we'd be paying him that to ride pine? When we have John Jerry, who has plenty of starting experience?

I'm not sure Mike will want to pay that for a backup.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Boling's current cap hit ranks 22nd among all guards. We're talking about 64 starting guards and Boling ranks 22nd. 

...and we'd be paying him that to ride pine? When we have John Jerry, who has plenty of starting experience?

We all know that is the truth.  I guess it will depend upon Clint's health.  Honestly, I'm starting to get the vibe that he might be in worse shape than he, or the team, ever let on, at the end of the last couple seasons.  This is two seasons in a row, that he was unable to complete the season.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Boling's current cap hit ranks 22nd among all guards. We're talking about 64 starting guards and Boling ranks 22nd. 

And rightfully so imo. Our issues have been hanging on to guys too long, eating up cap and being loyal. None of which wins down the long stretch.

Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 07:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: And rightfully so imo. Our issues have been hanging on to guys too long, eating up cap and being loyal. None of which wins down the long stretch.

Just too bad we don't spend that savings on upgrades.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 07:27 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: We all know that is the truth.  I guess it will depend upon Clint's health.  Honestly, I'm starting to get the vibe that he might be in worse shape than he, or the team, ever let on, at the end of the last couple seasons.  This is two seasons in a row, that he was unable to complete the season.

Me too.

(06-18-2019, 07:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: And rightfully so imo. Our issues have been hanging on to guys too long, eating up cap and being loyal. None of which wins down the long stretch.

Agreed. I like Boling, but the smart move would be to let him go if he's having health issues in the last year of a contract paying out $5 mil this year, especially considering how it looks like he's slotted for a backup role.

(06-18-2019, 07:41 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Just too bad we don't spend that savings on upgrades.

Exactly. Spotrac shows us as having the 14th most cap space at $19.8 million, and we'd be getting more by cutting Boling. Why wasn't any of it used to improve the team? I get that Boyd is fixing to get a substantial pay raise, but we probably still could've afforded a decent player somewhere.
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 07:50 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Me too.

Agreed. I like Boling, but the smart move would be to let him go if he's having health issues in the last year of a contract paying out $5 mil this year, especially considering how it looks like he's slotted for a backup role.

Exactly. Spotrac shows us as having the 14th most cap space at $19.8 million, and we'd be getting more by cutting Boling. Why wasn't any of it used to improve the team? I get that Boyd is fixing to get a substantial pay raise, but we probably still could've afforded a decent player somewhere.

It's going to get spent. We were apparently interested in McCoy. He didn't even come here. And we were reportedly interested in Shaq Barrett. He supposedly had a visit. But signed with the Bucs early the next day after he was "here." 

It takes two to tango. There are plenty of guys who are here already that could get a new contract this year. 

We had a pretty bad off season as far as media coverage and our ability to attract free agents. Browns are super bowl champs, steelers and ravens are who they are. Bengals hire some dude because he coached with McVay. One of the last head coaches hired. People didn't want the DC job. Coming off a losing season with the whole team having some down right ugly stuff on film. 

Winning will help us attract better free agents at lower prices. And give our head coach and his coaching staff a little more street cred.

5 mil for a guy who has started 106 of our last 112 regular season games and can play all 5 spots and has been our best OL the last couple years. I think it is well worth it if the goal is winning games. 
Reply/Quote
We better at least try to trade Boling if we plan on cutting him.

Why the Bengals aren't savvy enough to trade veterans before they cut them I'll never get.

Cleveland would get something for him.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(06-18-2019, 07:17 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Boling's current cap hit ranks 22nd among all guards. We're talking about 64 starting guards and Boling ranks 22nd. 

Yet you all wanted Hart and his 7 mil to ride the pine?
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 11:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yet you all wanted Hart and his 7 mil to ride the pine?

Still do. Bengals overpaid for Hart because FA happens before the draft and they couldn't guarantee anything in the draft.
I'd still prefer one of Williams, Boling, or Glenn to play RT over Hart. If someone else proves to be better than Hart in TC, they should own up to their mistake of overpaying Hart and let the better player play. No need sacrificing the quality of the team over the notion of "they highest paid guys get to play."
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 11:22 AM)XenoMorph Wrote: Yet you all wanted Hart and his 7 mil to ride the pine?

Paying Hart and then starting him is what I believe people call a one-two punch.
Reply/Quote
(06-19-2019, 10:53 AM)jj22 Wrote: Cleveland would get something for him.

Cleveland is able to get 6th round picks because they are trading away former first round picks still on their rookie deals.
Reply/Quote

Finally someone who understands why we let Whit walk.
Reply/Quote