Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals resigning Peerman.
(03-23-2017, 02:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: This wasn't a case of keeping him over Burkhead. Burkhead wanted to leave and we signed Peerman to a 1 year deal that I am sure is negligible. We carry 4 backs so we still will draft a rookie and if we find two good ones we can cut Peerman as the deal will have little impact. This is all about shoring up special teams in the event we draft guys who don't play special teams in the draft.

Do we know Burkhead wanted to leave?  If so, I agree, if not, you cut the Peermans and the Maualugas of the team and make room to get the deal he wanted.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 04:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Do we know Burkhead wanted to leave?  If so, I agree, if not, you cut the Peermans and the Maualugas of the team and make room to get the deal he wanted.

...Or you sign a rookie with more potential upside and a lower salary long term. We made him an offer, my guess was that offer was based on our perceived value of him. The thing is we aren't going to give Burkhead a bigger deal and role and then ask him to cover kicks that would be stupid. You have to have competent back end roster guys to be good special teams players, and good special teams play is highly under rated. The Patriots actually carry a guy who does nothing but play special teams (and really has no "true" position even though they list safety) in Nate Ebner.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 04:06 PM)Wyche Wrote: Do we know Burkhead wanted to leave?  If so, I agree, if not, you cut the Peermans and the Maualugas of the team and make room to get the deal he wanted.

I think Burkhead wanted to leave. There was virtually no mention of an extension or mentions from him about staying. It seems like the team planned on keeping as a #3 RB. Any chance of Rex coming back was shut down when Marvin endorsed Jeremy after the season.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 04:19 PM)Au165 Wrote: ...Or you sign a rookie with more potential upside and a lower salary long term. We made him an offer, my guess was that offer was based on our perceived value of him. The thing is we aren't going to give Burkhead a bigger deal and role and then ask him to cover kicks that would be stupid. You have to have competent back end roster guys to be good special teams players, and good special teams play is highly under rated. The Patriots actually carry a guy who does nothing but play special teams (and really has no "true" position even though they list safety) in Nate Ebner.

If Burkhead plays a bigger role in the offense, he probably doesn't do as much "teams", for sure....and I'm all for a rookie.  I'm merely stating that moves like these are a detriment to either A. finding impact FAs, or B. retaining your own.  Couple Peerman and Rey's money, and what do you have to play with....4 to 5 million?  Whether you sign Rex or not, there's some decent coin to plug a few holes.  This team has a few of them.  JMO.  My point wasn't so much about JUST Rex Burkhead, as it is that keeping fringe guys around like this can potentially handcuff you in the FA game.

To be clear, as I stated, I'm not hating on Peerman, I like the guy......but still.....

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 04:23 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I think Burkhead wanted to leave. There was virtually no mention of an extension or mentions from him about staying. It seems like the team planned on keeping as a #3 RB. Any chance of Rex coming back was shut down when Marvin endorsed Jeremy after the season.

Which was idiotic.  I'd have rather shed Hill, kept Rex, Gio, and a rook.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 04:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Which was idiotic.  I'd have rather shed Hill, kept Rex, Gio, and a rook.

The most likely thought was that they can fix him. He plays like he did in 2014. Enters free agency where someone gives him more money than we're willing to and we collect a 4th/5th round comp pick for 2019.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 04:36 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: The most likely thought was that they can fix him. He plays like he did in 2014. Enters free agency where someone gives him more money than we're willing to and we collect a 4th/5th round comp pick for 2019.

You could be onto something there....and truthfully, maybe he played hurt as articles note, and it really affected his game.  I'm still just salty after "the fumble" I guess. LOL 

Reply/Quote

If you had a chance to stay with the Cincinnati Bengals or go play for the world champs and possibly win a Super Bowl what would you do.  I know I would take less money for a bigger role and a chance to win it all.  Just sayin...
Reply/Quote
I loved Rex but why would he turn down the Pats to be the second or third back with Bengals

Peerman is a good signing for special teams. I given them credit when it is due.
Reply/Quote
I get the griping over not resigning Rex and bringing back Ced Peerman...

But man if they don't address this Center problem and others on the O-line none of these RBs are going to make a bit of difference.

Rex having a rookie Hill like season would be reason to jump on the Burkhead bandwagon.

Not his small sample size and in some meaningless quarters of football.

Hell, I almost wish we could have dumped them all and hit the reset button.(yeah I said it)

Except I don't think it's all on them.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Is a 30 year old RB who does nothing but special teams worth a roster spot ? Not in my opinion
Reply/Quote

From what I have read Burkhead wanted a chance to get more carries and with Hill/Gio + whoever they draft high this year, the writing was on the wall. 

Not too mention (and I doubt Rex would say it) why would he stay here behind this O-line and be 3rd on the depth chart when he can go to New England with a better O-line and a coaching genius and get to split carries and win a playoff game.

Peerman to me is a no big deal signing. Have to get 90 guys to camp, and this is a vet who causes no trouble and is a special teams leader. No harm at all in signing him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I agree he's a ST ace a role model type player. Could it be better Yes Could it be worse Yes Realy a meh ..... signing
Reply/Quote
I'm not going to complain one bit, over the Bengals re-signing Peerman. Once the details are released, I'm betting it's for the Vet minimum, or close to it. Peerman is one of those core type of guys that every team needs to have around. He busts his ass to stay on the roster via Special Teams, likely fully realizes that he is completely impotent as far as carrying the ball goes, but keeps his head held high and plays his ass off.

Sure, I'll miss Rex being on the roster, as we always knew to expect 100% effort whenever he had the chance to play. However, some of you might remember a thread that I made late this season. Sure, Rex looked fresh and energetic, coming off the bench. Now that he will be "the man", as the Patriots don't pay RBs 3M to sit and wait for someone to get hurt, it is much tougher to maintain that status. Yes, Rex is still young enough to flip his metabolism into full time duty, but the season will take a toll. Injuries happen to fatigued athletes. I believe that the Bengals were smart to not offer Rex 3M, that money will be better spent on a rookie.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 04:34 PM)Wyche Wrote: Which was idiotic.  I'd have rather shed Hill, kept Rex, Gio, and a rook.

Definitely. I would have loved to see what burkhead could do with more carries. But, y'know... That would be a GOOD idea. Something like a... Smart coaching decision.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 01:12 PM)Wyche Wrote: See.....it's guys like this, and Rey Maualuga that should have been cut to make room for quality signings and extensions.  I'm not hating on the guy, but Rex Burkhead can cover kicks, AND run the ball out of the backfield and play in the slot.  Just doesn't make sense.

Peerman seems to be a great guy, but I couldn't agree more with this. Essentially, just wasting a prime roster spot on a one dimensional player, at a position that we traditionally only carry three of.

I mean if he was Steve Tasker, Brian Mitchell, or Bill Bates I may feel differently. 
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 07:56 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: From what I have read Burkhead wanted a chance to get more carries and with Hill/Gio + whoever they draft high this year, the writing was on the wall. 

Not too mention (and I doubt Rex would say it) why would he stay here behind this O-line and be 3rd on the depth chart when he can go to New England with a better O-line and a coaching genius and get to split carries and win a playoff game.

Peerman to me is a no big deal signing. Have to get 90 guys to camp, and this is a vet who causes no trouble and is a special teams leader. No harm at all in signing him.

I don't disagree with what you're saying.....I disagree with the Bengals sticking with 2 yard Jeremy over Burk. Wink

(03-23-2017, 08:48 PM)coachmcneil71 Wrote: Peerman seems to be a great guy, but I couldn't agree more with this. Essentially, just wasting a prime roster spot on a one dimensional player, at a position that we traditionally only carry three of.

I mean if he was Steve Tasker, Brian Mitchell, or Bill Bates I may feel differently. 

Precisely.....

Reply/Quote
Face it, you need all 3 phases of the game to win in this league, and ST's sucked last year after Peerman got hurt. And that's with Rex. I like Rex and woud love to have kept him and dumped "2 yards and a fumble", but that's not what Marvin wanted. I'm glad Rex will get a chance in NE, and this is a great signing for the Bengals putting the ST Captain back in the driver's seat.....
Reply/Quote
They should have converted peerman to a linebacker years ago. the guy is a tackling machine and one of the best special teams players this team has ever had. Glad to see him on the roster.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2017, 12:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: Someone has to cover kicks, works for me. Really has little to no impact on the phases outside of special teams.

It ensures the team can't carry an additional RB who can actually provide value at the RB position.  Peerman brings zero to the table at RB.  It makes more sense to devote the roster spot to someone who possesses versatility.  Several deals like this, Rey, etc ensure that money to sign an impact player is lacking.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote