Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can we just take a step back and look at the roster?
(03-18-2019, 01:16 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I actually disagree with the second statement.
I believe they do want to win a SB.
However, I believe they don't want to gamble on the future for the sake of going all-in in case it doesn't work.

They are comfortable with what they have and where they are at (which isn't good enough). Comfortable is a good word. An average team. Not bad enough to be a laughing stock but not nearly good enough to win. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 01:56 PM)ochocincos Wrote: I'm trying to put myself in the minds of the FO...
Marvin's crew went to the playoffs in 2005, 2009, and 2011-2015. That's 7 out of 16 seasons (43%). In the FO's minds, Marvin has shown he can get his team to the playoffs on a recurring basis. Given the frequency of success of getting to the playoffs, Mike Brown and co. was giving Marvin a chance to right the ship again.

Look at it this way...Mike saw how often Marvin was able to get the team into the playoffs, especially in the past decade. He felt more comfortable and less risk to see if Marvin could do it again vs bringing in someone brand new.

But it still didn't give an good explanation for them being all aboard the SB or bust train since of those 7 his teams failed every single time. But that wasn't enough evidence for them? That he was a coach who can get them to respectability but can't get over the hump? It was almost two decades of data for them. There's absolutely no way you can tell me they made the decision to bring back ML to win a SB. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 03:14 PM)Hoofhearted Wrote: But it still didn't give an good explanation for them being all aboard the SB or bust train since of those 7 his teams failed every single time. But that wasn't enough evidence for them? That he was a coach who can get them to respectability but can't get over the hump? It was almost two decades of data for them. There's absolutely no way you can tell me they made the decision to bring back ML to win a SB. 

They clearly view success as getting into the playoffs, not "Super Bowl or Bust."
Many of us (including myself) wanted them to go all-in once the team was consistently making the playoffs to get over that hump.
They didn't change their approach. I would expect because they believed they were doing things the right way to be successful, as evidence by repeated playoff appearances. If someone argued, "Yeah, but 0 playoff wins!" they would counter with, "But 20 teams miss the playoffs every year, so we're better than a majority of the league."

My entire point is that whether we like it or not, the Bengals FO has a way of operating to achieve what they believe is success, but (most) fans disagree with that approach.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
In a way some of the same things that caused the 90s also befell this roster. Specifically it was the collapse of the defense and letting the offensive line fall into disrepair. Both were key problems in the 90s as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 03:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They clearly view success as getting into the playoffs, not "Super Bowl or Bust."
Many of us (including myself) wanted them to go all-in once the team was consistently making the playoffs to get over that hump.
They didn't change their approach. I would expect because they believed they were doing things the right way to be successful, as evidence by repeated playoff appearances. If someone argued, "Yeah, but 0 playoff wins!" they would counter with, "But 20 teams miss the playoffs every year, so we're better than a majority of the league."

My entire point is that whether we like it or not, the Bengals FO has a way of operating to achieve what they believe is success, but (most) fans disagree with that approach.

But the Bengals now are back into crisis mode selling tickets. Yes, the Bengals will still make money. But less parking revenue, less ticket revenue and less concession revenue adds up when PBS has 20,000 less fans a game.

This is the cash portion of their cash flow and no owner likes to lose huge wads of cash.

Will it dictate change? Maybe not, but maybe.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 03:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: They clearly view success as getting into the playoffs, not "Super Bowl or Bust."

After reading your first sentence I thought you were agreeing with me lol I think that’s exactly how this FO operates. It’s make the PO. There’s no beat Pittsburgh, win divisional round, conference championship that everyone is accountable for pursuing. But anyway yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift. I’m looking forward to them changing my opinion
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2019, 02:42 PM)depthchart Wrote: NFL Network had a round table type discussion on the AFC North (Marvin Lewis was one of the speakers along with others).

They barely even mentioned the Bengals and only in a joking way where Marvin was told by Joe Thomas that Marvin was not allowed to pick the Bengals to win the Division.

It was all Browns, Ravens and Steelers with the Browns getting most of the attention for the #1 spot.

They didn't even mention how the return of injured Key starters for the Bengals might give them a shot.

Barely (& just barely) even said the name Bengals during the whole discussion.

It was like the Bengals did not exist and it was a 3 team Division.

This is irritating and yet not the least bit surprising all at the same time.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2019, 03:22 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My entire point is that whether we like it or not, the Bengals FO has a way of operating to achieve what they believe is success, but (most) fans disagree with that approach.

I don't know how you differentiate between levels of "trying".  Seems to me most team have to try as hard as possible just to make the playoffs.  
Reply/Quote