Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals respond to a fans complaint on signing Bobby Hart
(03-14-2019, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't really understand human nature if you try to compare the behavior of a child to an adult.  You don't see any adults sqealing and crying for candy in a store.

Guys who make it in the NFL are in it for more than the money.  They are among the most prideful and competitive people on earth. They are highly motivated to play well so they don't look bad.

I’ve never seen a NFL player “hold out” over more playing time. It’s always money.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I’ve been waiting for Hart to improve since 2012. His freshman year at FSU (2011) was his best season, only gotten worse since then.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:41 PM)jj22 Wrote: I'm not sold and I go back to my kid in store reference.

If any of us get a 6m raise for being one of the worst employees in our industry, what makes anyone think we'll improve? We've been rewarded. Standard set.

It's just human nature.

The Parent telling us in the store next time the kid won't throw a fit after he was given the candy he was throwing a fit for gets eye rolls from customers who watched it go down, and rightfully so.

Same here.

He should have plenty of motivation.  Juwan James is a solid starting RT and he just got $13 mil a year.  Hart will be 27 when he hits FA again and can get a massive payday if he steps his game up some.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Our contract with Hart is basically a 1 year deal with easy outs afterwards... So lets say he fails this season
2020 we move on.

But if he turns it around we got a RT on a decent deal and don't have to worry about him leaving next offseason

You're missing the premise of this thread. The coaches love him and likely won't get rid of him.

What team signs a free agent to a contact and is like if this guy doesn't improve, we'll get out of it after a year. That's totally a fans perspective.

Hart was bad last year and they kept him. How bad would he have to be for them to waive him?
Reply/Quote
Cut down on penalties? Didn’t he give up a bunch of sacks and pressure too? Clueless organization. His youth is the reason given as to why he will improve. Wasn’t this the same guy that his last team said he was lazy and quit on them?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:52 PM)Okay Wrote: The fans will decide based on his PFF ratings

I just wish they would actually read more pff instead of googling names seeing the number and writing players off.

Quote:It’s hard to believe that someone with a 56.4 overall grade this season has been a surprise in a good way, but if you’ve watched Bobby Hart’s career, you’d agree. The Bengals right tackle was much maligned for his first three years with the Giants, yet he’s come to Cincinnati and provided some stability to the right side. After a dreadful two-sack, three-hurry performance against the Colts in Week 1, Hart has allowed only 16 pressures in seven games since.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-9
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:14 PM)Synric Wrote: I just wish they would actually read more pff instead of googling names seeing the number and writing players off.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-2018-nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-teams-units-after-week-9

It's what happens when people make up their minds on something/someone to the point where nothing will ever change it.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have seen the bengals be horribly wrong about players and I have seen fans be horribly wrong about players.

In this case only time will tell, but since he is an O-linemen I am sure a lot of fans who claim he is bad now will refuse to acknowledge if he does ever develop into a solid player.  I remember when Andre Smith played very well for us there was still the group of fans who loved to make fun of him like he was still terrible.

Personally I think they overpaid for Hart, but if he player well I will be willing to admit I was wrong.

If Hart turns out to be a good player, I'll happily eat crow.  I care more about the team winning than I do about being right.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:19 PM)Earendil Wrote: If Hart turns out to be a good player, I'll happily eat crow.  I care more about the team winning than I do about being right.

Sadly, my plate of crow designated for when "Ogbuehi gets it together eventually" went untouched.  My plate of "Dalton returns to 2015 form" has gotten cold, but I'm still willing to eat it, though.  Just set the "Hart is as good as the coaches say" plate of crow on the table next to the "John Ross will get it together this year" crow and hope we don't all have to eat a giant plate of "the Browns will win a playoff game before us" crow.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:27 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Sadly, my plate of crow designated for when "Ogbuehi gets it together eventually" went untouched.  My plate of "Dalton returns to 2015 form" has gotten cold, but I'm still willing to eat it, though.  Just set the "Hart is as good as the coaches say" plate of crow on the table next to the "John Ross will get it together this year" crow and hope we don't all have to eat a giant plate of "the Browns will win a playoff game before us" crow.

This one looked like it was ready to happen last year.  Then Lazor forgot how to call a football game.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:29 PM)Earendil Wrote: This one looked like it was ready to happen last year.  Then Lazor forgot how to call a football game.

2015 Dalton is an enigma.  Hue was his OC, but Hue was the OC for the ho-hum 2014 season and we'd all protest if Hue were here in any capiacity now.  Then we had Zampese and Lazor who were apparently so bad at their jobs that multiple Bengals seasons weren't even worth playing.  

I will say that Palmer got back to his 2005 form in 2015, so maybe Dalton gets back to 2015 form in 2025?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:41 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I will say that Palmer got back to his 2005 form in 2015, so maybe Dalton gets back to 2015 form in 2025?

In '06 Palmer was top 5 in the league in yards, tds, and passer rating.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF this is true, which it looks like it is, it's pretty clear that the new coaching staff was behind the signing of Hart and think he will cut down on the penalties and improve. We can speculate that the contract is easy to get out of, but he's likely here to be our OT for a few years.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I guess the positive is they either monitor this forum or the ticket sales stink. I am thinking the latter. If they don't make a splash, then they risk averaging around 42K to 45K at PBS in 2019 unless they win 2 or 3 games out of the gate. They would negate home field advantage we enjoyed years ago.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:47 PM)fredtoast Wrote: In '06 Palmer was top 5 in the league in yards, tds, and passer rating.

Geez, I missed something to fluff up Palmer?  Bravo, you caught me with my pants down on this one, Fred.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:52 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You don't really understand human nature if you try to compare the behavior of a child to an adult.  You don't see any adults sqealing and crying for candy in a store.

Guys who make it in the NFL are in it for more than the money.  They are among the most prideful and competitive people on earth. They are highly motivated to play well so they don't look bad.

They are highly motivated to get paid. Which he did.

So you think Human nature is getting rewarded for poor work leads to motivating you to work harder? Can I work for you?

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:55 PM)jj22 Wrote: So you think Human nature is to get rewarded for poor work leads to motivating you to work harder? Can I work for you?

No.  That is not what I said at all.

I said NFL players are motivated by a lot more than money.

I also said that if an NFL player is motivated by money then Hart will have a lot of motivation to earn another good contract after this one is up.

Why can't anyone here read what I say?  Why do they make up stuff I never said instead of just quoting what I actually said.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:50 PM)Whatever Wrote: He should have plenty of motivation.  Juwan James is a solid starting RT and he just got $13 mil a year.  Hart will be 27 when he hits FA again and can get a massive payday if he steps his game up some.

Or he can get a massive payday by the Bengals. Look what he did to get a raise. The standard was set.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:58 PM)fredtoast Wrote: No.  That is not what I said at all.

I said NFL players are motivated by a lot more than money.

I also said that if an NFL player is motivated by money then Hart will have a lot of motivation to earn another good contract after this one is up.

Why can't anyone here read what I say?  Why do they make up stuff I never said instead of just quoting what I actually said.

You said I didn't know human nature, and I guess it's isn't in our nature not to improve after getting rewarded for poor work. But you acknowledge I was right.

edit: You said "I don't really understand Human nature".

I maintain. You reward a kid for throwing a fit in the store to get some candy, and don't expect them to act better next time. You reward someone for being one of the worst employees in the industry and don't expect them to suddenly strive to be the best.

and unfortunately, don't expect the other employees to either after they see who got the raise.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:19 PM)Earendil Wrote: If Hart turns out to be a good player, I'll happily eat crow.  I care more about the team winning than I do about being right.

I know I said this elsewhere but the contract isn't horrible.... as we have outs.  and could potentially be good if he improves.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 04:04 PM)jj22 Wrote: You said I didn't know human nature, and human nature isn't improving after getting rewarded for poor work. But we agree, and I was right.

If you don't think pride and ego have anything to do with the "human nature" of professional athletes then you don't understand human nature.

Apparently you think money is the single exclusive issue when it comes to the human nature of motivation.  That is just wrong.
Reply/Quote