Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals respond to a fans complaint on signing Bobby Hart
(03-14-2019, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have seen the bengals be horribly wrong about players and I have seen fans be horribly wrong about players.

In this case only time will tell, but since he is an O-linemen I am sure a lot of fans who claim he is bad now will refuse to acknowledge if he does ever develop into a solid player.  I remember when Andre Smith played very well for us there was still the group of fans who loved to make fun of him like he was still terrible.

Personally I think they overpaid for Hart, but if he player well I will be willing to admit I was wrong.
But we've never really had a competent head coach making these decisions, along with a solid staff (offensive line coach) to evaluate players and coach them up to their potential.

That's why I think that everyone that's jumping to conclusions about this signing need to settle down a bit.

We may still draft or even sign someone to start over Hart, but I think that this is the first time in a while we can say "let's wait and see."

(03-14-2019, 01:55 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Our contract with Hart is basically a 1 year deal with easy outs afterwards... So lets say he fails this season
2020 we move on.

But if he turns it around we got a RT on a decent deal and don't have to worry about him leaving next offseason

I agree and that's why I didn't see why everyone was freaking out about the initial numbers before all the details were known.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:06 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Cut down on penalties? Didn’t he give up a bunch of sacks and pressure too? Clueless organization. His youth is the reason given as to why he will improve. Wasn’t this the same guy that his last team said he was lazy and quit on them?

His last two teams, going back to college.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you don't think pride and ego have anything to do with the "human nature" of professional athletes then you don't understand human nature.

Apparently you think money is the single exclusive issue when it comes to the human nature of motivation.  That is just wrong.

I believe it always boils down to money at the end of the day for these athletes.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 02:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: You're missing the premise of this thread. The coaches love him and likely won't get rid of him.

What team signs a free agent to a contact and is like if this guy doesn't improve, we'll get out of it after a year. That's totally a fans perspective.

Hart was bad last year and they kept him. How bad would he have to be for them to waive him?

lots of teams sign guys to big front loaded contracts and cut them in the next few seasons.

Its more a matter of do we have anyone to replace him? If whoever they draft cant beat him off his spot do you really want that draft pick starting?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we can sign Miller and upgrade at Guard...we might be able to get by with our line.

I'm thinking the Bengals might shock some people and take a QB or WR in the 1st. I think some of these signs point to that. IF one we like is there.

I am preparing myself for the Cincinnati Bengals taking a quarterback in round one.  but I still think the tight end from Iowa will be the choice and that Daniel Jones maybe the choice if he's there and round 2.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 04:13 PM)jj22 Wrote: I believe it always boils down to money at the end of the day for these athletes.

If this were true then no vet would ever play well on his final contract.

Most of these players know when they are signing their final contract, and they still play well.  So I don't think it is just about the money.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 04:20 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I am preparing myself for the Cincinnati Bengals taking a quarterback in round one.  

The Bengals have not made a single move that would lead me to believe they are even considering QB in the first round.

Pretty much the only people around here who mention it are the ones who did not like Andy anyway.  It is more just "wishful thinking" for most of them.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 04:25 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Bengals have not made a single move that would lead me to believe they are even considering QB in the first round.

Pretty much the only people around here who mention it are the ones who did not like Andy anyway.  It is more just "wishful thinking" for most of them.

If for some reason Murray is there, I could see it happening but more likely it will be Jones in round 2 if he is even there.  I just do not know what to expect from the new coaching staff this year.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 04:08 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: But we've never really had a competent head coach making these decisions, along with a solid staff (offensive line coach) to evaluate players and coach them up to their potential.

That's why I think that everyone that's jumping to conclusions about this signing need to settle down a bit.

We may still draft or even sign someone to start over Hart, but I think that this is the first time in a while we can say "let's wait and see."

I agree and that's why I didn't see why everyone was freaking out about the initial numbers before all the details were known.

It's funny that people say that our coaching staffs haven't been competent. Marvin was the hot Head Coach candidate...AND the Bengals Management kept him here 15 years.

IF he truly was incompetent, then it falls on Management to...ummm...I don't know...NOT KEEP HIM FOR 15 YEARS.

This is the Paul Alexander/Pollack thing all over. People thought Alexander was soo bad and that Pollack would come in and fix the line right away. And that didn't happen.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:18 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we can sign Miller and upgrade at Guard...we might be able to get by with our line.

I'm thinking the Bengals might shock some people and take a QB or WR in the 1st. I think some of these signs point to that. IF one we like is there.

I am preparing myself for the Cincinnati Bengals taking a quarterback in round one.  but I still think the tight end from Iowa will be the choice and that Daniel Jones maybe the choice if he's there and round 2.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
While you see teams with big trades and huge free agent signings, we get to see the Bengals begin the new league year by inking Bobby Hart.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:22 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Smith was never a great lineman, but he was certain above average to solid for a lot of years.

I think his physique and the issues he had at the combine are what turned a lot of people off...and holding out.

As for the other Tackles in the draft...I think Eugene Monroe was one. Smith was better. I think there was another one too that Smith turned out better than.
I believe the Rams picked tackle Jason Smith at 2 or 3 that year and I think Michael Oher was in that draft as well. I wanted Monroe that year for us but Andre stayed around longer and may have had more solid seasons. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 04:10 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: His last two teams, going back to college.

Awesome. Didn’t faze the Bengals at all.
Reply/Quote
Smith busted pretty quick as did Monroe.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 06:06 PM)Destro Wrote: While you see teams with big trades and huge free agent signings, we get to see the Bengals begin the new league year by inking Bobby Hart.

That makes me wonder how things have changed. Why on earth do they continue to go into seasons with a the same glaring weakness year after year. Team will not compete until the line is improved. 
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:19 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I have seen the bengals be horribly wrong about players and I have seen fans be horribly wrong about players.

In this case only time will tell, but since he is an O-linemen I am sure a lot of fans who claim he is bad now will refuse to acknowledge if he does ever develop into a solid player.  I remember when Andre Smith played very well for us there was still the group of fans who loved to make fun of him like he was still terrible.

Personally I think they overpaid for Hart, but if he player well I will be willing to admit I was wrong.

Unfortunately the Bengals fans got a first hand look at Hart and it wasn't pretty. He was better for us in 2018 than he was for the Giants in 2017 and that's something that can be attributed to Pollack, not the incoming staff.

Frankly, he needs to improve fast. He's already put in one bad year here.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 03:06 PM)Circleville Guy Wrote: Cut down on penalties? Didn’t he give up a bunch of sacks and pressure too? Clueless organization. His youth is the reason given as to why he will improve. Wasn’t this the same guy that his last team said he was lazy and quit on them?

I don't have faith in Hart at all. The new coaching staff will naturally think they are better coaches than the previous coaches and think his problems are "minor" and will turn him around. And it IS very possible, considering Bodine went from a turnstile to a decent center with the bills. I just don't think he has improved since he's been in the NFL.  I would have invested on someone else, at least division rivals will have to figure out the new guy and send a message to the guys we ARE keeping, that they could be next (like ROSS).
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 04:52 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's funny that people say that our coaching staffs haven't been competent. Marvin was the hot Head Coach candidate...AND the Bengals Management kept him here 15 years.

IF he truly was incompetent, then it falls on Management to...ummm...I don't know...NOT KEEP HIM FOR 15 YEARS.

This is the Paul Alexander/Pollack thing all over. People thought Alexander was soo bad and that Pollack would come in and fix the line right away. And that didn't happen.

Pollack also didn’t draft two awful tackles and an awful center. Well the jury is still out on Pollack and a center.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I hope the coaches can do something with him because it looks like they chose Hart over Denmark.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2019, 01:11 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF this is true, which it looks like it is, it's pretty clear that the new coaching staff was behind the signing of Hart and think he will cut down on the penalties and improve. We can speculate that the contract is easy to get out of, but he's likely here to be our OT for a few years.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

All I can say is that Hart better play like a f'n stud RT next season.

Just because some new coach, who hasn't won anywhere on his own, comes in a says "XYZ is better than fans think" doesn't mean crap. If these low end guys being signed by the Bengals go out and lay turds on Sundays then it's time for a broad scale boycott until Mike Brown is gone, Tobin is gone and a real GM is brought in and given 100% control over football operations.

Reply/Quote