Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals schedule visit with Indiana LB Tegray Scales
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/4/5/17202376/bengals-send-linebackers-coach-indiana-pro-day-visit-tegray-scales

His lack of pure speed will cause him to likely not be drafted until Day 3 or maybe late third round at the earliest, but he has shown the ability to cover and has what Marvin always prioritizes in his LBs...instincts.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Local boy. He and Preston would probably mesh well
Reply/Quote
Tegray is a good kid, coming out of HS Ohio State said he was too small to play LB and wanted him to move to their Star/hybrid Safety position. He chose to go to Indiana and play linebacker and proved he was plenty big enough to play LB in the Big Ten. As a 4th or 5th round pick I think he'd be a great addition here. He is probably smart enough to get on the field during Vontaze's suspension as WILL is probably where he needs to play in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
Seems more of a WILL Linebacker to me. We need a SAM.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 01:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Seems more of a WILL Linebacker to me. We need a SAM.

Interestingly, Lance Zierlein thinks he's actually a better fit at MIKE or SAM.
Lance Zierlein Wrote:Evaluators may hem and haw over where to take him, but he has the football intelligence, motor and skill to continue finding tackles as an eventual NFL starter at inside linebacker or as a 4-3 SAM.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tegray-scales?id=32462018-0002-5600-0973-e994fa949f6b
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2018, 02:04 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Interestingly, Lance Zierlein thinks he's actually a better fit at MIKE or SAM.
https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tegray-scales?id=32462018-0002-5600-0973-e994fa949f6b

If he can shed blocks, stop the run and cover TE's i am all for Scales.

Just saw Psychdoctor's thread on Lorenzo Carter and that guy is really intriguing as well.
Reply/Quote
It may be a factor of the speed that Penn State has on their offense, but watching him play in that game he looked slow as molassis. Maybe he'll find a niche as a goal line/backup Mike or 3-4 ilb somewhere, but he didn't look fast or quick enough to be a starting 4-3 LB to me.
Reply/Quote
His 40 times is faster than Burfict, he is fast enough to play on the backside at Will early on and could move to Mike eventually. Letting him use his instincts on the backside to make plays.
Reply/Quote
That 4.77 40 really hurts his stock imo. He's not real big either. Local kid i'll root for though.

I like Leon Jacobs if we spend a late pick here. Much higher ceiling
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 12:32 PM)Goalpost Wrote: That 4.77 40 really hurts his stock imo.  He's not real big either.  Local kid i'll root for though.

I like Leon Jacobs if we spend a late pick here.  Much higher ceiling

His measurable are comparable to Lavonte David, I tend to not worry about 40 all that much for LB. Burfict ran a 5.0 40 and frankly isn't fast he just has good instincts. If your LB ever has to turn and run straight down field with a 4.4 guy without over top help you are in trouble weather he is a 4.7 guy or a 4.6 guy.

As for Jacobs, I disagree the ceiling is higher mainly because his biggest knock is lack of instincts. If you hesitate at the NFL level you lose.
Reply/Quote
At the end of the day, the Bengals prioritize instincts and tackle production when it comes to choosing LB prospects.
So while some might not like a guy like Scales because of speed, I expect a guy like Scales, Kiser, or Jewell to be selected by the Bengals because of similar traits.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 02:55 PM)ochocincos Wrote: At the end of the day, the Bengals prioritize instincts and tackle production when it comes to choosing LB prospects.
So while some might not like a guy like Scales because of speed, I expect a guy like Scales, Kiser, or Jewell to be selected by the Bengals because of similar traits.

I agree.  A LB can make up for a lack of physical gifts, by being able to instantly diagnose a play and being in good position to make a play.  I'd have no problem with a guy like Scales in the 4th or 5th round.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I compared Jewell's performance against Penn State to Scales's just to get an idea, and came away just not all that impressed with Scales.  If Jewell is earning the label of "role-player" already due to his play speed, what does that say about Scales?  I didn't see the instincts or coverage ability that people have been touting, just a lack of quickness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCNuvdOhz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUPUh0SdJfE
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 03:18 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I compared Jewell's performance against Penn State to Scales's just to get an idea, and came away just not all that impressed with Scales.  If Jewell is earning the label of "role-player" already due to his play speed, what does that say about Scales?  I didn't see the instincts or coverage ability that people have been touting, just a lack of quickness.

There's definitely a lack of quickness but from watching (parts of) the Penn St video you linked, I do still see him around the ball a good amount. He seems able to diagnose quickly and react. But given the fact you put on Penn St specifically, I see most of his bad plays come when trying to get Barkley, who is an absolute stud, likely Top 5 pick, and could be the best RB to be drafted in the past few years. I didn't many opportunities where he was assigned to cover.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 03:42 PM)ochocincos Wrote: There's definitely a lack of quickness but from watching (parts of) the Penn St video you linked, I do still see him around the ball a good amount. He seems able to diagnose quickly and react. But given the fact you put on Penn St specifically, I see most of his bad plays come when trying to get Barkley, who is an absolute stud, likely Top 5 pick, and could be the best RB to be drafted in the past few years. I didn't many opportunities where he was assigned to cover.

Since Barkley will end up on the Same team... Does he have a better chance than Trent Richardson?  of being a stud?
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 03:18 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: I compared Jewell's performance against Penn State to Scales's just to get an idea, and came away just not all that impressed with Scales.  If Jewell is earning the label of "role-player" already due to his play speed, what does that say about Scales?  I didn't see the instincts or coverage ability that people have been touting, just a lack of quickness.

Reps, yeah Jewell definately looked the better of the two especially in taking angles, shedding blocks and stopping the run.

After i watched those two vids i watched Lorenzo Carter play against Notre Dame and came away very impressed. I am wanting
Carter in the 3rd now, he has that crazy length and he moves well in space, can stop the run, shed blocks and rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 03:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Since Barkley will end up on the Same team... Does he have a better chance than Trent Richardson?  of being a stud?

Both were very good prospects coming out of college. Both had power, could catch, and had really good speed for their size. In fact, I was a huge Richardson fan leading up to the draft.
What I think both guys need is a solid blocking OL for their run game and utilize their pass catching ability.

For all the crap Trent Richardson got, he still put up over 1300 total yards and 12 TDs as a rookie. He then was traded to Indy after just two games, who definitely didn't have a good run blocking OL. Indy needed RBs to make something out of nothing, which Richardson was not that kind of guy. Indy also didn't take full advantage of his pass catching abilities.

Barkley I think can succeed in Cleveland if they focus on the run and can block for him. Don't try to be a team that uses the pass to set up the run.
Make him the workhorse and see him thrive IMO.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Reps, yeah Jewell definately looked the better of the two especially in taking angles, shedding blocks and stopping the run.

After i watched those two vids i watched Lorenzo Carter play against Notre Dame and came away very impressed. I am wanting
Carter in the 3rd now, he has that crazy length and he moves well in space, can stop the run, shed blocks and rush the passer.

If the Bengals are looking for a full-time SAM and occasional edge rusher because they have Preston Brown in their long-term plans, I agree on Carter.
However, I don't see Carter as instinctual enough to play MIKE or WILL. If the Bengals want a LB to replace either Brown or Burfict down the road, they will need to look elsewhere.

I think with a guy like Scales, you'll get a solid LB who will be a role player with a focus on containing the run, which really is what a SAM has been in the Bengals' scheme over the years. Jewell I think is better than Scales and would be a better replacement at MIKE. I'd prefer other LBs to either Scales or Jewell if looking for a speedy, sideline-to-sideline WILL.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2018, 03:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Reps, yeah Jewell definately looked the better of the two especially in taking angles, shedding blocks and stopping the run.

Lorenzo Carter is going to play on the outside in a defense somewhere and probably will go in the high 2nd. His versatility along with production I think have him higher on teams boards than a lot of people think.
Reply/Quote