Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bengals set on taking Burrow
(02-15-2020, 08:17 AM)bengaloo Wrote: The media has way too much power over peoples emotions and they know it. Not just sports, but all media. They dont even fancy themselves as journalists as much anymore, but rather social engineers. Opinion shifters. In other words, liars.

Was listening to the radio just the other day and they were yelling about how Burrow shouldnt play here, he will be ruined, etc, etc. Literally, in the same paragraph, one of the guys saying it said "I mean the Bengals, with AJ healthy and a good draft could be a 10 win team with Dalton". He says that after he said we would ruin Burrow. The stupidity is at an all time high with media. People should look down on these fools and it should be known that people look down on these fools.

Sadly yes

I remember an article in the news on Yahoo month or so ago, forget why I was even on there ? Anyways headline was either Hunters murder/Kill Yellowstone Wolf.

Went on to slam hunting and guns blah, blah. Then several paragraphs in dropped the bomb - no body really knows what happened to the wolf.

But had the article been titled 9 year old Park favorite Yellowstone Wolf has finally met it's end it wouldn't get the clicks an outright lie would.

It's pathetic
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 09:46 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Sadly yes

I remember an article in the news on Yahoo month or so ago, forget why I was even on there ? Anyways headline was either Hunters murder/Kill Yellowstone Wolf.

Went on to slam hunting and guns blah, blah. Then several paragraphs in dropped the bomb - no body really knows what happened to the wolf.

But had the article been titled 9 year old Park favorite Yellowstone Wolf has finally met it's end it wouldn't get the clicks an outright lie would.

It's pathetic

Yeah they dont even try to hide how bad they are at lying to stir up drama anymore. And people stand in line for their dose of it, and without thinking objectively at all or often without even reading every word written or doing any speck of fact-checking, get all fired up emotionally. Emotion is stronger than intelligence for some folks when it comes to any kind of news in recent years. Combined with social media, "Jerry Springer News" is a real crutch in our culture these days if you ask me. 
Reply/Quote
Let's not pretend all aspects of the media are created equally. They're not, but of course the narrative is that there's no such thing as an honest reporter much less anyone even remotely qualified to report actual news responsibly. I subscribe to and usually read both the NYTimes and the Washington Post knowing full well there are some people with both organizations I don't agree with nor trust, but I don't paint everyone with them with the same brush. While there are always going to be those seeking to enrich their own reputations with gibberish there are those who are thoughtful and don't go out of their ways to create click bait nonsense.
We live in an age where just about anyone who can type can create page after page of nonsense and get it published by someone with the resources to get eyeballs to read it, but that doesn't and never has meant that every reporter is in the business of flat out lying to the public.
The simple truth is we have plenty of people who once had very good reputations and were pretty well trusted and now it's as if every single reporter has sold out their reputations for a moment of click bait fame, but we still have some reporters who refuse to sully themselves in that manner. The reporter might be honest and making every effort to report truth, but that doesn't mean their editorial board is going to publish everything they write the exact way it was written originally.
"The media" encompasses a LOT of territory, everything from top notch, investigative reporting down to the most frivolous and dubious tabloid garbage and then some. To say the least it's disingenuous to compare someone like Carl Bernstein with the Rupert Murdock's of the world or even worse, someone publishing some leaflet of libelous propaganda handed out to anyone willing to read it.
If you're going to assume that every single aspect of the media is lying all the time there would be no point in even bothering to learn to read.
How many times in the past few years have to seen a headline that begins with: A study says... or The experts all agree with...? That doesn't mean every study is flawed nor "The experts" are experts at anything much less experts at whatever they claim to be experts at.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 12:38 PM)bengaloo Wrote: Yeah they dont even try to hide how bad they are at lying to stir up drama anymore. And people stand in line for their dose of it, and without thinking objectively at all or often without even reading every word written or doing any speck of fact-checking, get all fired up emotionally. Emotion is stronger than intelligence for some folks when it comes to any kind of news in recent years. Combined with social media, "Jerry Springer News" is a real crutch in our culture these days if you ask me. 

Not to pile on, but SO MUCH THIS.

Shenmue III came out on 11/19/19 and sold 20,000+ physical copies in Japan (a poor market for the series, historically), 7,500+ copies in Spain and there were 3 special editions, totaling 5,500 copies between them.

These were sales in just the first two weeks; if your math is like mine, that should read approximately 33,000+ copies of the game.

This is NOT taking into account the rest of the world (US, UK {big Shenmue country there}, Canada, the rest of Europe, Asia, Australia, etc.) and this was strictly physical sales on 1 platform (PS4; game is also on PC). These were the *only* concrete, factual numbers that are available to public, worldwide.

A report surfaced this week that an independent company was conducting a fiscal report for the publisher of the game and they were using a 3rd party website (that has 0 professional credentials, employees or just anything professional; it is essentially a site run by videogame fans in their spare time), for the hard sales data...

... except the data has 0 to do with sales, it has to do with "number of players," and follows their own methodology of, "so long as the person has unlocked one trophy in the game (which trophies do not exist on the PC), it counts as one of our players that we track."

A hardcore member of the site posted this on the #1 fansite for the series. First off, the amount of sane and intelligent (well, after this, who knows if they are lol) fans who immediately cried that the series was done or whatever, didn't use their brains and just resorted to emotions. This in turn, had 5, "videogame NEWS websites," take posts on a message board and threw up the article title, "Deep Silver to lose $8,000,000.00 on Shenmue III."

They literally pulled a random number, THE ENTIRE FISCAL QUARTER SALES (because how can you determine if something lost money if not compared to the rest of the company's games?) OF EVERY OTHER GAME PUBLISHED BY THE PUBLISHER *and* wrote a lengthy article blaming one game, just because of A MESSAGE BOARD POST, BASED UPON THE INCORRECT FINDINGS OF A VIDEOGAME , "TRACKING SITE," RUN BY UNPROFESSIONAL FANS.

Any journalism is borderline horrific nowadays and I'm actually a bit relieved that I did not pursue that line of work after all, in the end (my apologies, Benton).

Sorry for the essay, but I needed to give background otherwise nobody wouldn't have the faintest clue of what I was talking about lol.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 08:17 AM)bengaloo Wrote: The media has way too much power over peoples emotions and they know it. Not just sports, but all media. They dont even fancy themselves as journalists as much anymore, but rather social engineers. Opinion shifters. In other words, liars.

Was listening to the radio just the other day and they were yelling about how Burrow shouldnt play here, he will be ruined, etc, etc. Literally, in the same paragraph, one of the guys saying it said "I mean the Bengals, with AJ healthy and a good draft could be a 10 win team with Dalton". He says that after he said we would ruin Burrow. The stupidity is at an all time high with media. People should look down on these fools and it should be known that people look down on these fools.

Major reps Bengaloo. Rock On
Reply/Quote
The media is a monster that created itself.

When they just had to sale one hour of news every day they could easily fill it with mostly straight facts (unless the source was the government), but when they created 24 hour news channels they had to include a lot of "opinion" and "analysis" to fill up all that time. And when you start selling opinions everyone starts trying to make their take the hottest. So we end up with lots of extremists yelling at each other or just creating conflict in order to yell at each other.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 04:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The media is a monster that created itself.

When they just had to sale one hour of news every day they could easily fill it with mostly straight facts (unless the source was the government), but when they created 24 hour news channels they had to include a lot of "opinion" and "analysis" to fill up all that time.  And when you start selling opinions everyone starts trying to make their take the hottest.  So we end up with lots of extremists yelling at each other or just creating conflict in order to yell at each other.

True

And the longer it's went on the more "agenda based" it's become. 
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2020, 04:14 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The media is a monster that created itself.

When they just had to sale one hour of news every day they could easily fill it with mostly straight facts (unless the source was the government), but when they created 24 hour news channels they had to include a lot of "opinion" and "analysis" to fill up all that time.  And when you start selling opinions everyone starts trying to make their take the hottest.  So we end up with lots of extremists yelling at each other or just creating conflict in order to yell at each other.

Hilarious Too true
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-14-2020, 02:41 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: As bad as Zac was last year, the West Coast Offense is the type of Offense Burrow fits.

Zac runs a WCO.

Just wish he wasn't the play caller.

Any coach can learn the west coach offense, but not every coach is going to be a good coach.

Has Zac ever been a good coach?

I know he thinks he's a good coach, just ask him. But I don't think anyone else has seen him do well at it. Maybe he'll grow into it, but more than likely we're going to see another year of slow learning and another year without a winning record.

Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 01:23 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Any coach can learn the west coach offense, but not every coach is going to be a good coach.

Has Zac ever been a good coach?

I know he thinks he's a good coach, just ask him. But I don't think anyone else has seen him do well at it. Maybe he'll grow into it, but more than likely we're going to see another year of slow learning and another year without a winning record.

We will see, sure wasn't a good coach last year and he was a terrible play caller.

But he is young, so it is possible he can learn to be a good coach. Sure hope he does.
Reply/Quote
I've never been opposed to taking JB, just don't like the closed minded, **** sure thinking by some.

Ts, I hope they can get AJ back in the fold, and Mixon extended. He's going to need the weapons.
Reply/Quote
(02-17-2020, 03:38 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see, sure wasn't a good coach last year and he was a terrible play caller.

But he is young, so it is possible he can learn to be a good coach. Sure hope he does.

Yeah, I believe we are stuck with him for either 3 or 5 years as we were with Dave Shula, no matter how bad he turns out to be.

So, I guess hoping he learns to be a good coach is something I should do.

The laughableness of last season reminded me of the Shula years.

Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 09:28 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Yeah, I believe we are stuck with him for either 3 or 5 years as we were with Dave Shula, no matter how bad he turns out to be.

So, I guess hoping he learns to be a good coach is something I should do.

The laughableness of last season reminded me of the Shula years.

Only thing we can hope I guess is having a season under his belt and Joe Burrow giving us a spark will help ZT get it together ?
Reply/Quote

The stinking media are a bunch of clowns and they just like to run their mouths because then others will start to believe their shit. They like to hammer crap all day to get ratings.And goofy Carson PALMER wanted out of cincy because he was homesick for California and the dude made over a 100 million here and Mike Brown treated him like a king.What a dumbass and a jerk.He had it make here and he turned on all of us that paid hard earned bucks to watch his stinkin ass.I despise him and his calling us losers.He is a cancer and all of this will come back on people that say lies and hurt our city.He STINKS.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 09:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Only thing we can hope I guess is having a season under his belt and Joe Burrow giving us a spark will help ZT get it together ?

I was hoping having a super can't miss amazing QB like Burrow come to Cincy would spark Mike Brown to fire ZT and lure a better HC here, but hoping ZT can get his act together is fine, too.
Reply/Quote
It would be stupid for Burrow to pull an Eli.. he would be in the best position with us. We are his best option talent wise with a shot at winning compared to the other top 5 teams. We just had a shityy season with alot of games we should have won.
Tiger

2024 MOCK DRAFT (4 ROUND)

1ST ROUND-OT-JC LATHAM-ALABAMA
2ND ROUND-OG-COOPER BEEBE-KANSAS
3RD ROUND-DT-DEWAYNE CARTER-DUKE
3RD ROUND-WR-JACOB COWING-ARIZONA
4TH ROUND-CB-MIKE SAINRISTIL-MICHIGAN
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 01:12 PM)Nati#1 Wrote: It would be stupid for Burrow to pull an Eli.. he would be in the best position with us. We are his best option talent wise with a shot at winning compared to the other top 5 teams. We just had a shityy season with alot of games we should have won.

I agree and Burrow isn't stupid. I just think he is playing his cards right so the FO actually uses FA to improve the team.

He will be a Bengal regardless but the FO needs to reassure that they want to win a Championship. That is all.
Reply/Quote
(02-18-2020, 09:38 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Only thing we can hope I guess is having a season under his belt and Joe Burrow giving us a spark will help ZT get it together ?

Is it better for us if Burrow saves ZT's job?
Reply/Quote
(02-21-2020, 04:46 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Is it better for us if Burrow saves ZT's job?

If we are winning it is better for everyone...
Reply/Quote
I can't wait to see who the Bengals pick at #1.
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote