Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Bengals shopping John Ross
But , but I’ve been told Ross is amazing n will be a pro bowler with the new staff.
Reply/Quote
We would be very lucky to get a 4th or a 5th for him right now.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:29 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I think it has more to do with his attitude than his skills.

Remember when he posted a video from practice to try and show up the coaches?  He seems very immature.

Even his failures on the field seem to be more mental than physical.  He gives up on routes, and his rookie season I don't think he knew the playbook.

I wish they could have seen the bad character traits on him before wasting a top 10 pick on him, ol' well water under the bridge I guess. I just hope if they do decide to part with him they get SOMETHING in return, anything really.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:33 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Agree 100 % it would be pathetic if we got a 3rd or 4th rounder for the number 9th pick of the draft.  Like you I figured Taylor would want to see him in person first. I  guess I would take a 2nd rounder if it was possible still had hope Ross would pan out in a new system. Reciver becomes a bigger need if we trade Ross but I would still go O-line and linebacker in the first two rounds were not winning anything with this offensive line or linebacker group. This also makes to start to question Tobin more and some of his drafts. I wonder if it was Tobin or Taylor calling the shots on the Ross trade or did they both think  it was the right thing to do.

What we paid doesn't matter to his today worth, it's a sunk cost. If we can get something back it's better than nothing. I doubt this would be done without consulting Taylor. I tend to wonder if Ross is being shopped with a purpose. Maybe he is being shopped for a specific piece or as part of a package. When things leak there is normally more to the story. 
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:33 PM)lone bengal Wrote: Agree 100 % it would be pathetic if we got a 3rd or 4th rounder for the number 9th pick of the draft.  Like you I figured Taylor would want to see him in person first. I  guess I would take a 2nd rounder if it was possible still had hope Ross would pan out in a new system. Reciver becomes a bigger need if we trade Ross but I would still go O-line and linebacker in the first two rounds were not winning anything with this offensive line or linebacker group. This also makes to start to question Tobin more and some of his drafts. I wonder if it was Tobin or Taylor calling the shots on the Ross trade or did they both think  it was the right thing to do.

If you would be disappointed in a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th for Ross then I feel like you are gonna be even more disappointed when we don't even get that for the guy.

I really just don't see any value in trading the guy rather than seeing what he can do in camp and preseason first because I highly doubt we get anything of value for him, hopefully I am wrong.
Reply/Quote
At last! Restoring faith in rhis team one move at a time. Best move of 2019 after the firing of Marvin. Loving it.
Reply/Quote
This signals progress to me. Willing to move on from mistakes rather than keep them around hoping that they someday justify the investment.
Reply/Quote
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Reply/Quote
Mellow

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: 100% agree.

To add further, there have been numerous occasions of quitting on routes, seems he can only run three of those, and quite frankly, he just hasn't looked very good.  Taylor said he wanted people who wanted to be here, maybe the film told him all he needed to know, and this was the first casualty of that stance.

DeSean Jackson type FA, or draft?

I've been as critical of the Ross pick as anyone on here. He's just not a football player. He's more a track guy.

Depending on cost: Demaryius Thomas, Crabtree, Tyrell Williams. It's a REALLY bad year for free agent WR's.

IF we could get Juwaun James in free agency and add a quality LB like Jordan Hicks, we could theoretically draft a WR.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:43 PM)HuDey Wrote: This signals progress to me. Willing to move on from mistakes rather than keep them around hoping that they someday justify the investment.

I agree with that. It shows that they're giving an honest assessment and not just being mesmerized by him being a 1st Round pick.

Honestly, it's EASY to look at Ross and see that he isn't an NFL caliber WR.
Reply/Quote
What a colossal failure of a pick.
Reply/Quote
An accompanying move would be trying to get a draft pick for Burfict, but likely he will be waived.
Reply/Quote
There were plenty of times Dalton gave him a chance with throws and he tanked. Im sure the film on him isn't kind. Like others stated on this thread he was another first round bust choice that should've never been made in top 10....foolish...
Reply/Quote
If we do better than a 4th rounder for this guy, the front office deserves a medal.

He was clearly a bust for us, and it's hard to trade a bust for a really good pick.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:40 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: If you would be disappointed in a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th for Ross then I feel like you are gonna be even more disappointed when we don't even get that for the guy.

I really just don't see any value in trading the guy rather than seeing what he can do in camp and preseason first because I highly doubt we get anything of value for him, hopefully I am wrong.

Yeah realistically I know we won’t get that much for him just meant that a higher pick would make me feel somewhat less disgusted. That fact that Mahomes got taken one pick later makes me even sicker. But that’s where I’m at with Ross, rather keep him and try to make it work versus trading him for nothing. Last year was his first healthy season he was bad but for some reason he was good in the red zone. Figured he could benefit the most from a new system.
Reply/Quote
We''ll be lucky to get a 4 for him. Just last season he showed he still lacks understanding of how fundamentally to play the WR position.
Reply/Quote
I'll be curious what veteran WR's get cut heading into the new league year. I think if we move him we need to add one plus look for another in the draft. This is a really deep WR draft so there should be solid options throughout.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:22 PM)Au165 Wrote: John Ross to Tampa may be an interesting option. Arians has a history of liking smaller speedsters that can get vertical and Jackson wants out so he could be the heir to him there.

I like this idea.  Payback for Antonio Bryant as well.   Whatever

Actually, I thought there was a good chance Ross wouldn't even make it to the final 53 after camp.  I don't see Taylor clogging up a roster spot for a guy who shouldn't even be here in the first place.

With that said, I seriously doubt we are going to get much for him if they're already leaking it that he's on the chopping block so long before the draft.  I would've waited until then to try to dump him to try to hide the fact more by packaging him with a draft pick or something.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 04:38 PM)Au165 Wrote: What we paid doesn't matter to his today worth, it's a sunk cost. If we can get something back it's better than nothing. I doubt this would be done without consulting Taylor. I tend to wonder if Ross is being shopped with a purpose. Maybe he is being shopped for a specific piece or as part of a package. When things leak there is normally more to the story. 

Agreed. We obviously made a mistake.

No sense in following a mistake (drafting him) with another mistake (keeping a bust around just because we spent a top pick on him).
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote