Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals should change the strategy covering tight ends going forward..
(12-23-2021, 09:15 PM)jason Wrote: Easier said than done to spot those guys though. Did anyone think Kittle or Kelce become what they are now? Fant and Hockenson were highly touted (Kittle maybe played a role in that?), but they're not game changers... Yet anyway. Gresham looked the part, but along comes Gronk. Pitts was billed as the GOAT, and he might still be. I was thrilled when they drafted Eifert...

Tight end is so tough to call.

True, have to see it in them and it isn't easy. I haven't really looked much at TE's in this Draft yet.

It would be nice to flip the script and have one of these beasts ourselves. I like Uzo but he ain't no Kittle or Kelce.

(12-23-2021, 09:54 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Flowers is not physical enough, on the critical 3rd and 5 against sf he played off coverage..waynes is both fast enough and physical enough to handle these tight ends in man coverage in my opinion..

I have no trust in Waynes at all, at least Flowers has played well in a few games for us.

It is true that Bell is very physical but man, he gives up like 6 inches to every beast TE we would be facing including Andrews.

(12-24-2021, 11:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Funny you mentioned this.  I was surprised we didn't see more of Flowers on Kittle after how he played Andrews.  It is a really good point.

One thing that could go a long way is not giving them (the TEs) a free release.  That makes that quick throws easy and high %.  Re-route them and force them to get loose and you can throw off the timing. 

Maybe have Bell bump the TE at the LOS and have Flowers take over the coverage or something alike...
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 12:03 PM)kalibengal Wrote: I think the Bengals stategy in that game was to stop the wideouts like Deebo (which they did as recieving threat) and left Kittle to kill us all day. 
I do like Flowers in this role, hes 6-3 and 200 ish # and seems to cover these guys well.  
So whos the next George Kittle or Kelce in draft? we could use a guy like that.  

We never seemed to prioritize tight ends even though every other team in our division does and uses them as a big part in their offenses. 

It helps with ball control to be able to have a target like a big tight end and then the division also always had strong defenses, so it was always part of the bigger plan.

I have always wished we would get a tight end like that.

At times, CJ Uz hasn't been too bad in that role this season.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 06:06 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: We never seemed to prioritize tight ends even though every other team in our division does and uses them as a big part in their offenses. 

It helps with ball control to be able to have a target like a big tight end and then the division also always had strong defenses, so it was always part of the bigger plan.

I have always wished we would get a tight end like that.

At times, CJ Uz hasn't been too bad in that role this season.

Eifert was the type, too bad he was injury prone. But Eifert is proof we can prioritize TE's. Hope we do so again either this 
Draft or the next one. If the OL gets fixed it is kind of the missing piece to become an unstoppable Offense. This and better
Playcalling.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 06:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eifert was the type, too bad he was injury prone. But Eifert is proof we can prioritize TE's. Hope we do so again either this 
Draft or the next one. If the OL gets fixed it is kind of the missing piece to become an unstoppable Offense. This and better
Playcalling.

Eifert seemed more like a big receiver and not the big powerful tight end that takes two guys to bring down and can push defenders around or be the big physical presence in the middle of the field or the red zone.

I admit he was too injury prone to get anything out of or we could have gotten a lot more out of him, but I just never thought he was the type of tight end to fit our division.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 06:17 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Eifert was the type, too bad he was injury prone. But Eifert is proof we can prioritize TE's. Hope we do so again either this 
Playcalling.

To add to to the last point, with the way we have been using CJ, I think we are finally ready to welcome that type of TE into our offense.

It would be great if we can get one in an upcoming draft or if someone big gets released in FA.
Reply/Quote
(12-24-2021, 06:28 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: Eifert seemed more like a big receiver and not the big powerful tight end that takes two guys to bring down and can push defenders around or be the big physical presence in the middle of the field or the red zone.

I admit he was too injury prone to get anything out of or we could have gotten a lot more out of him, but I just never thought he was the type of tight end to fit our division.

True he wasn't a Gronk, Kittle, Kelce type. But he was a really talented pass catching TE. One of the best route running TE's
I have every witnessed. Good point about the Division, Uzo fits more here with his physicality. Might be one of the reasons he
got injured so much is Eifert was more frail than most TE's, like you said, a big WR.

(12-24-2021, 06:30 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: To add to to the last point, with the way we have been using CJ, I think we are finally ready to welcome that type of TE into our offense.

It would be great if we can get one in an upcoming draft or if someone big gets released in FA.

Most definitely agree, this Offense is more TE friendly simply cause of Burrow who just throws to the open man.

I know Taylor comes from the McVay Offense that doesn't use the TE quite as much but we can add this much needed
weapon and truly become even more diverse and unpredictable as long as the OL is taken care of. 
Reply/Quote