Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals should've cut ties..
(01-09-2021, 10:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Great point. Goff had a QB rating over 100 both years that Zac was there. he dropped all the way down to 86.5 the year after Zac left and finished 18 the year with a rating of only 90.0

Now that Ram's D is fierce. 

ex Bengal Troy Hill making plays all over the place and on other side Dunlap ("Employee #43")   looking like a spring chicken again
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 10:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Great point. Goff had a QB rating over 100 both years that Zac was there. he dropped all the way down to 86.5 the year after Zac left and finished 18 the year with a rating of only 90.0

Now look at the run to pass call percentage and run yards per carry while ZT was there vs. after he left.  Oh and maybe take a look at Tannehill and how he got exponentially better under a different QB coach.  
Reply/Quote
Quote: Joe Burrow just had the greatest season of his NFL career under Taylor

Anyone want to argue against this??  
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 03:31 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Now look at the run to pass call percentage and run yards per carry while ZT was there vs. after he left.  Oh and maybe take a look at Tannehill and how he got exponentially better under a different QB coach.  

Unsure why I'd look at run to pass percentage; Goff has regressed since Zac left. Folks cannot change that fact just because they want to.

Ryan didn't get exponentially better until he traded teams not QB coach. But you do make a good point. Tannehill went from a passer rating of 76.1 the year prior to Zac's arrival to a passer of 92.8 and over 4,000 passing yards in the 2 years Zac was his QB coach. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2021, 11:53 PM)wildcatnku24 Wrote: Counter point:  Zac Taylor should've been retained and it's as simple as that.   There's really no logical reason to let him go since both years he got screwed from players injured, retiring, opting out, etc.    

The good news is the crappy culture ML had left him with is pretty much gone now.  This year I think we'll be seeing a team that is completely ZT's.  And I for one am excited as heck.  ESPECIALLY after seeing Frank Pollack return!  What a smart dude Zac is.  I've seen many posts blaming his ego for Turner and all that, but that's obviously not the case since he just let replaced Turner with a guy that left the bengals a few weeks before ZT was hired.  

I am shocked that Lou retained his job, but I also understand it as well, since he also got screwed by injuries.  

Please Understand, I'm not talking about the few injuries every team deals with.  I watched every game, and definitely saw the dropoff in talent when PS players were playing.

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Injuries-Vs-Wins-Our-Injuries-are-Overstated

Tired excuse.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 09:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unsure why I'd look at run to pass percentage; Goff has regressed since Zac left. Folks cannot change that fact just because they want to.

Ryan didn't get exponentially better until he traded teams not QB coach. But you do make a good point. Tannehill went from a passer rating of 76.1 the year prior to Zac's arrival to a passer of 92.8 and over 4,000 passing yards in the 2 years Zac was his QB coach. 

So we're proving Zac is a good QB coach? 

Guess that means theres poor correlation to being a good head coach.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 10:44 AM)R3stangs Wrote: So we're proving Zac is a good QB coach? 

Guess that means theres poor correlation to being a good head coach.

Just replying to the assertion that Goff has not regressed since Zac's departure.

Plenty things to hate Zac for, we shouldn't have to make up things.

Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 03:31 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Now look at the run to pass call percentage and run yards per carry while ZT was there vs. after he left.  Oh and maybe take a look at Tannehill and how he got exponentially better under a different QB coach.  

Tannehill became what he is now when arrived in Tennessee. With Zac as the QB coach, Ryan averaged this...

4,055 yards
25 TDs
13 INTs
87 QB rating
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 11:56 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Just replying to the assertion that Goff has not regressed since Zac's departure.

Plenty things to hate Zac for, we shouldn't have to make up things.

fair enough.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 09:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unsure why I'd look at run to pass percentage; Goff has regressed since Zac left. Folks cannot change that fact just because they want to.

Because the Rams had a phenomenal run game the year that they went to the Super Bowl.  As the run game cooled, so did the entire offense.  I fail to see how a QB coach can take 100% credit for the running game and star studded defense that carried that team.  Had Goff been asked to carry the team more often that would've been a different matter.

In 3 out of the 4 post-ZT years for Tannehill, he has posted a higher Quarterback Rating than his highest rating under ZT.

Is he a passable QB coach at the NFL level?  Yah sure, he probably is.  Has he been some irreplaceable QB whisperer at any of his recent stops?  It doesn't seem to be so.
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 03:29 PM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Because the Rams had a phenomenal run game the year that they went to the Super Bowl.  As the run game cooled, so did the entire offense.  I fail to see how a QB coach can take 100% credit for the running game and star studded defense that carried that team.  Had Goff been asked to carry the team more often that would've been a different matter.

In 3 out of the 4 post-ZT years for Tannehill, he has posted a higher Quarterback Rating than his highest rating under ZT.

Is he a passable QB coach at the NFL level?  Yah sure, he probably is.  Has he been some irreplaceable QB whisperer at any of his recent stops?  It doesn't seem to be so.

You're kinda moving targets here to fit your narrative.

As you see it:

Goff regressed because the running game declined, not because Zac left

Tannehill got better because Zac left, not because the running game improved.

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 03:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're kinda moving targets here to fit your narrative.

As you see it:

No, I just wanted to point out that he kept improving under different QB coaches. The point being that ZT isn't necessarily a luminary, can't miss QB whisperer at the NFL level. For all I know he might've kept improving under ZT. Again, passable QB coach != satisfactory HC. If he were "good HC" caliber, I would expect the body of evidence to bare out that he is obviously a cut above other QB coaches.

Maybe Goff did regress some because his current QB coach isn't as good as ZT - that wouldn't shock me. I was just trying to throw cold water on the notion that ZT and Goff were the focal point of that team. That running game and defense were monstrous. 
Reply/Quote
The Eagles just fired a coach who won a Super Bowl with a backup QB and has a .531 winning %

But hey the players like Zac, and he sounds good in the press conferences!

Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 03:35 PM)bfine32 Wrote: You're kinda moving targets here to fit your narrative.

As you see it:

--Lost a healthy, top 5 running back in Todd Gurley
--Lost a healthy, top 15 WR in Brandon Cooks
--Offensive Line went from top 5 in PFF ratings to bottom 5 in PFF ratings. (Replaced two vet starters with two first year starters)
--League had more time to figure and counter Sean Mcvay's offense. (Superbowl year was McVay first year as OC)
--Zac Taylor left

If we're being fair, we have to consider and list out as many changes to that offense as we can, since their run in 2018.  The above are what I can come up.

I'll leave it up to everyone to decide for themselves where they rank the importance of each, but if you think it's as simple as Zac Taylor leaving then you're ignoring a lot of other things that have hurt that offense.
Reply/Quote
(01-10-2021, 02:59 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The reason Zac was a "name" is because what he did with Goff. 

Goff was already good before Zac Taylor was his QB coach.  What exactly did he do with him?
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 04:37 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Goff was already good before Zac Taylor was his QB coach.  What exactly did he do with him?

Mentored him to a career highs in:

Passer Rating
Passing Yards
Average per Attempt
TDs
Rushing Yards

Reply/Quote
With some folks too much is never enough.

Reply/Quote

Goff had a QB rating over 100 the year Zac Taylor was the ASSISTANT Wide Receiver Coach.

I'm sure that Zac was the cause.   Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-11-2021, 04:34 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: --Lost a healthy, top 5 running back in Todd Gurley
--Lost a healthy, top 15 WR in Brandon Cooks
--Offensive Line went from top 5 in PFF ratings to bottom 5 in PFF ratings. (Replaced two vet starters with two first year starters)
--League had more time to figure and counter Sean Mcvay's offense. (Superbowl year was McVay first year as OC)
--Zac Taylor left

If we're being fair, we have to consider and list out as many changes to that offense as we can, since their run in 2018.  The above are what I can come up.

I'll leave it up to everyone to decide for themselves where they rank the importance of each, but if you think it's as simple as Zac Taylor leaving then you're ignoring a lot of other things that have hurt that offense.

Amazing what a good run game does to overrate a QB.

2016: Rams 31st Run O / Goff 63.6 QB Rating
2017: Rams 8th Run O / Goff 100.5 QB Rating
2018: Rams 3rd Run O / Goff 101.1 QB Rating
2019: Rams 26th Run O / Goff 86.5 QB Rating
2020: Rams 10th Run O / Goff 90.0 QB Rating

The rankings of Goff's 1st-5th best QB Rating seasons are perfectly in-line to the Ram's 1st-5th best Run Os during those 5 years. 

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote