Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign 6th rounder Derron Smith
Smith signs
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
Great news, on to the next one!
Reply/Quote
Derron Smith...in the 6th round...could to out to be one of the absolute steals in this draft. I was stunned to see him still available at that point. One helluva pick. 
Reply/Quote
Haven't watched any tape on the guy. Anyone wanna link his some highlights?

Edit: Found some old footage (2012) against boise state.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bengals seemed to get quite a few value picks in this draft. They took a bit of heat over a couple of their picks, but overall I felt that they had an excellent draft.

Many people believe that Smith can be a replacement for Nelson someday. Anytime you can grab a future starter in the 6th round, you're doing well.
Reply/Quote
The kid loves the game. That seems to be a common denominator among all of our picks. Marvin went out and found guys who fit the profile he wants for this team. Props to him of that. If not a great judge of talent, he is a good judge of character.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
An undersized safety who was very productive in college.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2015, 02:13 AM)Toy Cannon Wrote: An undersized safety who was very productive in college.
Reggie Nelson was considered an undersized safety too. He's turned out to be a pretty good safety in the NFL.

In fact, Derron Smith and Reggie Nelson were near identical in size coming out of college.
Derron Smith - 5'11" 200 lb
Reggie Nelson - 5'11" 198 lb

Smith ran a 4.61 40 at his pro day (didn't do any drills at combine). Nelson was faster, clocking in with a 4.35 40 at his pro day and 4.56 at the combine.

What seems feasible is that Iloka is re-signed, Shawn Williams becomes the other starting safety next to Iloka in 2016, and Smith is used in sub-packages for his first two years and possible emerges as a starting safety in a few years.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Honestly this is my favourite pick in the draft and it isn't really close. The value was amazing. At the very least I see him being a great special teamer in the short term, and a solid starter next to Iloka in the future
Reply/Quote
He'll be the leading tackler on ST this year, if he's healthy. I really look forward to seeing what he can do on D.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote