Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign Chuck Smith
http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/5/29/8690283/report-atlanta-falcons-great-chuck-smith-added-to-cincinnati-bengals
Reply/Quote
Seriously?

Wouldn't the more appropriate title be something such as " Chuck Smith interning on Bengals Staff"?
Reply/Quote
I'm not surprised that one way or another our pass rush solution is a guy passed his prime.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 10:03 AM)Beaker Wrote: http://www.thefalcoholic.com/2015/5/29/8690283/report-atlanta-falcons-great-chuck-smith-added-to-cincinnati-bengals

Or Bengals Sign Chuck Smith as a coach.  
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 10:53 AM)Benton Wrote: I'm not surprised that one way or another our pass rush solution is a guy passed his prime.

Did you read the article?  He was signed as an intern to help coach the pass rushers...The guy was a beast that got his career cut short due to injury...averaged about 9 sacks per year over career...
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 10:53 AM)Benton Wrote: I'm not surprised that one way or another our pass rush solution is a guy passed his prime.

So Atkins, MJ, Dunlap, Clarke, Hardison, etc. are past their prime? Interesting.
Reply/Quote
Smith was a pretty damn good pass rusher in his day, and I think it's always good to have a new voice/perspective around, even if it's just for a short time.

While I like that they have been active in the internship program, with Smith and guys like Woodson and Dawson in previous years...I would love to see them also bring back their own alumni from time to time...maybe as "consultants" during OTA's and training camp. I think a few years back, they brought in ET for a few days, but he's the only one I can remember.
Reply/Quote
Chuck used to be a private coach for pass rushers the way House is a private coach fro QBs. A lot of top name NFL players sought out his instruction. He was a member of the University of Tennessee coaching staff for a year, but supposedly had a personality conflict that kept him from working well with the rest of the staff.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 01:10 PM)fredtoast Wrote: but supposedly had a personality conflict that kept him from working well with the rest of the staff.
Kinda like you fred. LOL
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 12:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Smith was a pretty damn good pass rusher in his day, and I think it's always good to have a new voice/perspective around, even if it's just for a short time.

While I like that they have been active in the internship program, with Smith and guys like Woodson and Dawson in previous years...I would love to see them also bring back their own alumni from time to time...maybe as "consultants" during OTA's and training camp. I think a few years back, they brought in ET for a few days, but he's the only one I can remember.

Agreed.  I'm really hoping Whit becomes a coach here someday.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 10:29 AM)OSUfan Wrote: Seriously?

Wouldn't the more appropriate title be something such as " Chuck Smith interning on Bengals Staff"?

When you saw the title, did you really think we signed Chuck Smith, who retired 15 years ago, as a player?
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 08:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: When you saw the title, did you really think we signed Chuck Smith, who retired 15 years ago, as a player?

LMAO
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 08:24 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: When you saw the title, did you really think we signed Chuck Smith, who retired 15 years ago, as a player?

Nope just thought it was a silly title. Anything else?
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 12:18 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So Atkins, MJ, Dunlap, Clarke, Hardison, etc. are past their prime? Interesting.

or that's a reference to Smith, the only person mentioned (by me, not you) over 40.

context, osu, context.
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 10:06 PM)Benton Wrote: or that's a reference to Smith, the only person mentioned (by me, not you) over 40.

context, osu, context.

This is way up there in the category of misleading thread titles.

Still a good hire
[Image: 2qGWGd.png]
Reply/Quote

No, I thought the Bengals signed yet another guy I never heard of.  Don't act like the Bengals aren't notorious for making those "gotta google" signings!
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 11:00 PM)Nately120 Wrote: No, I thought the Bengals signed yet another guy I never heard of.  Don't act like the Bengals aren't notorious for making those "gotta google" signings!

"Gotta Google Signing." I like that. Hope it catches on with the national media when the talk about us.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(05-30-2015, 12:43 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Smith was a pretty damn good pass rusher in his day, and I think it's always good to have a new voice/perspective around, even if it's just for a short time.

Exactly. I would love to see the Bengals bring in some of their former players to mentor/coach. Especially Sam Wyche.
I don't know why they don't.
Reply/Quote