Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign FA LB Laroy Reynolds
(09-11-2019, 09:47 AM)jj22 Wrote: The coaching staff's youth is showing in these signings.

Marvin (I know, I know, he's gone), at least had a deep familiarity with the league, and players around the league, it showed in his solid if not spectacular free agent singings and post season pickups.

ZT and company doesn't quite have that yet, so they are relying on Tobin and co. And when you rely on this FO, you get players like Laroy.

Disagree, i think you're looking to much into it. Willis was having a hard time getting snaps behind, Dunlap, Lawson, and Hubbard. Reynolds offers the same value on special teams and would probably garner a few snaps more at his actual position then Willis would his.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 08:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Here is an article from his Pro Day at Virginia:  

https://www.dailyprogress.com/sports/cavalierinsider/football/reynolds-impresses-at-uva-pro-day/article_14b04fc6-90ec-11e2-91f2-0019bb30f31a.html

Looks like a speedy, undersized, weak-side LB that could possibly also fill a roll at FB?  With 28 bench press reps, 37" vertical, and 10'5" long jump, he has an explosiveness score of 75.5.  That is nothing to sneeze at.  If he has ANY instincts at all, he is a better option than the recently departed Malik Jefferson.

It's interesting to see, but he's 28 years old so we have ample tape on him at the NFL level.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 09:47 AM)jj22 Wrote: The coaching staff's youth is showing in these signings.

Marvin (I know, I know, he's gone), at least had a deep familiarity with the league, and players around the league, it showed in his solid if not spectacular free agent singings and post season pickups.

ZT and company doesn't quite have that yet, so they are relying on Tobin and co. And when you rely on this FO, you get players like Laroy.

Yep.

I fear Willis being waived instead of Wynn was a case of Wynn being Taylor and Lou's signing...so they weren't going to give up on him.
Reply/Quote
(09-10-2019, 07:45 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He is what he is at this point...a special teams player.

I doubt they have grand designs of starting him in the base defense. This is a special teams move.

and a special teams player > Healthy scratch willis on game days.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 09:56 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Yep.

I fear Willis being waived instead of Wynn was a case of Wynn being Taylor and Lou's signing...so they weren't going to give up on him.

Or Wynn is just better than Willis.........
Reply/Quote

I have no problem with that if it is the case. New coach should be able to form his roster however he wants it.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 10:53 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Or Wynn is just better than Willis.........

well that was clearly on display this preseason
Reply/Quote

Every word in this post is based on an assumption that you even know what the reason(s) behind this signing even are.  Maybe you do know the reason.  If so, please explain.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

I have heard this line of argument for years and it has never made any sense to me.

Coaches are not judged on how they accumulate the talent to win.  All they are judged on is the ability to win.  Therefore coaches don't give a shit about keeping worse players just because that coach selected them.  No fan ever remembers any of that.

No fan ever has said "Yeah, sure, our coach won but stinks because he had to cut his own first round pick in order to win."  In fact if a coach cuts a first round pick and wins he is considered a brilliant coach.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 08:46 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Here is an article from his Pro Day at Virginia:  

https://www.dailyprogress.com/sports/cavalierinsider/football/reynolds-impresses-at-uva-pro-day/article_14b04fc6-90ec-11e2-91f2-0019bb30f31a.html

Looks like a speedy, undersized, weak-side LB that could possibly also fill a roll at FB?  With 28 bench press reps, 37" vertical, and 10'5" long jump, he has an explosiveness score of 75.5.  That is nothing to sneeze at.  If he has ANY instincts at all, he is a better option than the recently departed Malik Jefferson.

Thanks SHRacer, some info on the guy is nice.  Mellow 

(09-11-2019, 09:52 AM)PacMan Fever Wrote: why haven't we taken a look at former packers LB Nick Perry?

More of a DE in our Defense and we just let go of one of ours for Reynolds.
Reply/Quote
(09-11-2019, 12:34 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Thanks SHRacer, some info on the guy is nice.  Mellow 

More of a DE in our Defense and we just let go of one of ours for Reynolds.

Sure bud, and yes, we had extra depth at DE/Pass Rushing LB.  This guy has serious wheels and, hopefully, with Lou's defense can provide some quality depth.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
This guy is a special teamer his entire career...and he's playing in base defense over Pratt at times.

And when Pratt is out there, I saw him get pancaked on a run. Doesn't look like he's a solution yet.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 07:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This guy is a special teamer his entire career...and he's playing in base defense over Pratt at times.

And when Pratt is out there, I saw him get pancaked on a run. Doesn't look like he's a solution yet.
Pratt did not look good for sure. How are we so bad at drafting lineman and LBs. Mack Wilson and Cashman look good and we passed. We may need to draft an entire draft of LBs and lineman to get 1 starter of each.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 07:46 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: This guy is a special teamer his entire career...and he's playing in base defense over Pratt at times.

Pratt also had a defensive stop.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 08:50 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Pratt also had a defensive stop.

Why are they playing Reynolds over him? I don't get it. For me, Pratt should get all of the snaps.
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:13 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: Why are they playing Reynolds over him? I don't get it. For me, Pratt should get all of the snaps.

Agreed; even if Pratt is bad let him get snaps. At this point why not?
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-22-2019, 09:17 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Agreed; even if Pratt is bad let him get snaps. At this point why not?

Precisely. Pratt can develop. Reynolds is like 28 with 5-6 years of NFL track record as a special teams player.

Evans must be REALLY bad for Reynolds to take his job.
Reply/Quote