Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals sign Pro Bowl player to practice squad
Bengals just signed safety Michael Thomas to their practice squad.

His NFL career totals are 313 tackles, 15 PD, 11 TFL, 3 ints, 3 FF.

He was selected to the Pro Bowl in 2018 when he played for the Giants, but it was for his special teams play.
Reply/Quote
How many Michael Thomases does 1 team need? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
That is not a great sign with Allen coming back, I wonder if it's bad news for Bates.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: That is not a great sign with Allen coming back, I wonder if it's bad news for Bates.

That would suck for both us and him (being in a contract year). He might end up regretting not just signing an extension.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Allen cleared so if this is any bad news it is about Bates. It might not mean anything tho. They replaced Tony Brown who was a special teams "ace" with another special teams ace. That may be all it is.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:34 AM)Au165 Wrote: That is not a great sign with Allen coming back, I wonder if it's bad news for Bates.

He is just signed to the practice squad.  I don't think it means much of anything other than we have had a couple of safeties get dinged.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:48 AM)fredtoast Wrote: He is just signed to the practice squad.  I don't think it means much of anything other than we have had a couple of safeties get dinged.

Maybe, with the new PS rules teams have been using it as a segway to roster for injuries. Think how BAL did it with Bell and Freeman when they had a rash of HB injuries. It could mean nothing, it could be for special teams, but I would say us not adding a HB is good for Mixon and this could mean something for Bates.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:55 AM)Au165 Wrote: Maybe, with the new PS rules teams have been using it as a segway to roster for injuries. Think how BAL did it with Bell and Freeman when they had a rash of HB injuries. It could mean nothing, it could be for special teams, but I would say us not adding a HB is good for Mixon and this could mean something for Bates.
Bates is supposed to practice today so hopefully it isn't anything major.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:59 AM)J24 Wrote: Bates is supposed to practice today so hopefully it isn't anything major.

That would make me feel WAAAAY better. This is a game we 100% need him.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:59 AM)J24 Wrote: Bates is supposed to practice today so hopefully it isn't anything major.

Bates wanted to play against Jacksonville.
Reply/Quote

We released S. Davis from the PS earlier this week. Who is also a safety. So we had some open spots. We signed Thomas & Chrisman to the PS to fill them.

Given Thomas' special teams play, it may be bad bews for a guy who is on the 53 for special teams. Say, Morgan. 
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:32 AM)PhilHos Wrote: How many Michael Thomases does 1 team need? Ninja

Gotta collect em all! Now we just got to get the best one
Reply/Quote

(10-06-2021, 11:00 AM)Au165 Wrote: That would make me feel WAAAAY better. This is a game we 100% need him.

Agree, hope Bates is available for the Packers game.

To the OP, surprised me as I knew nothing about this Safety Michael Thomas. Has good numbers and experience.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 01:23 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Bates wanted to play against Jacksonville.
Ok cool I didn't see that. Neck injuries always scare me!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote

(10-06-2021, 10:44 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: That would suck for both us and him (being in a contract year). He might end up regretting not just signing an extension.

(10-06-2021, 10:48 AM)jj22 Wrote: Allen cleared so if this is any bad news it is about Bates. It might not mean anything tho. They replaced Tony Brown who was a special teams "ace" with another special teams ace. That may be all it is.

I am just speculating here but I sometimes wonder if Duke Tobin and Zac Taylor consider Jessie Bates to be expendable trade bait. He’s one of “Marvin’s guys” and I have a sneaking suspicion Zac wants to clear out the old guard, so to speak. Joe Mixon should probably rent instead of buy too if you get my drift.
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 11:21 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I am just speculating here but I sometimes wonder if Duke Tobin and Zac Taylor consider Jessie Bates to be expendable trade bait. He’s one of “Marvin’s guys” and I have a sneaking suspicion Zac wants to clear out the old guard, so to speak.  Joe Mixon should probably rent instead of buy too if you get my drift.

No way. Bates is probably the top Defensive Captain and leader on this team, and is fully on board with Lou's system. He's not going anywhere. Now Mixon may be traded should a great RB fall to us in the draft.
Reply/Quote
(10-07-2021, 08:28 AM)Sled21 Wrote: No way. Bates is probably the top Defensive Captain and leader on this team, and is fully on board with Lou's system. He's not going anywhere. Now Mixon may be traded should a great RB fall to us in the draft.

Agree with Sled, Bates is one of the few that absolutely fit.
Reply/Quote
On a side not, what did I miss? What did Fred do now..... Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 10:32 AM)PhilHos Wrote: How many Michael Thomases does 1 team need? Ninja

I'd be happy with 1 more
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-06-2021, 11:00 AM)Au165 Wrote: That would make me feel WAAAAY better. This is a game we 100% need him.

I think Bates will pick Rogers this week.  Rogers still is a gunslinger and will think he can manipulate with his eyes and squeeze something in there, but Bates covers so much ground.  He will be huge if he can play this week.  Might be the first game all season with Bates, Awuzie, and Waynes.  
Reply/Quote