Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bengals sign Tarell Basham
(03-31-2023, 06:47 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: No way. Not a roster lock, but he's competing with Gunter + maybe even Sample for a spot. 

Hmm, maybe.  Basham just doesn't have the ass to set the edge and defend the run, like Gunter and Sample, or Sample's ability to shift inside.  Will be hard for Basham to displace Sample, his best shot is pushing Gunter.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
In year's past, this would've been our top signing that ol' Hobspin would be promoting on the front page of .com with some corny pun like "If you can't Basham, join 'em".

Now it's an afterthought. Anyways, good depth signing with experience.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 06:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: In year's past, this would've been our top signing that ol' Hobspin would be promoting on the front page of .com with some corny pun like "If you can't Basham, join 'em".

Now it's an afterthought. Anyways, good depth signing with experience.

Back in time, that would have merited a 1200 word article, extolling the prowess of the Bengals personnel department, along with making Basham out to be equal to Von Miller in his prime.   Wink

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Not sure why anyone would not like this signing. Good depth piece in the DE rotation and will push others on the roster.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 09:07 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Not sure why anyone would not like this signing. Good depth piece in the DE rotation and will push others on the roster.

pretty much, and not a bad piece, now... let's get his Cuz Boogie!
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2023, 03:46 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Basham's most productive years were 2019-2021 - 49 games, 17 starts, 8.5 sacks, 58 tackles, 11 for loss. Hopefully, he can be a decent rotational piece for Lou.

I'm sure Lou Anarumo is ecstatic about this signing.  Tarell Basham will seal edges against the run and rush the passer too.  This pass rush improvement improves the secondary because hurried throws are often inaccurate throws.  Many interceptions occur because the quarterback releases too fast and even over the past two great seasons Cincinnati doesn't get to the quarterback nearly enough.
Reply/Quote
It's a good rotational signing but the big issue with the pass rush is lack of one from the interior not so much the edge.
Reply/Quote
Saw a good highlight tape of his

He’s very good at causing fumbles on sacks

Now it’s just a matter of him getting said sack
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 05:16 PM)Housh Wrote: Saw a good highlight tape of his

He’s very good at causing fumbles on sacks

Now it’s just a matter of him getting said sack

Yes, watch Tarrell Basham's highlights and you will come away impressed. He has blocked multiple Punts too on ST's. He has a nice 
swim move and like you said, has a knack for causing fumbles on QB pressures. He could be a great compliment to Trey, Sam and Ossai
as he can rush from both sides of the line. I really like Gunter, but this guy could push him to the PS, who knows?
Reply/Quote
Sweeeeeet. Our DE depth chart is loaded. Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Basham, and Sample is a deep solid group. Gunter and Johnson are capable players too, but adding Basham to our depth chart is adding legit NFL production. Sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, blocked kicks, tipped balls, qb hits.

Quality addition. We already have our developmental DE prospect in Gunter from the draft last year and we have bigger needs at the top of the draft this year. I haven't even really looked at the DEs in the draft this year. You only have so many picks. I'm guessing they probably are no longer looking to draft one unless the value slaps them in the face.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2023, 04:07 PM)Joelist Wrote: It's a good rotational signing but the big issue with the pass rush is lack of one from the interior not so much the edge.

Pretty much this.  Losing Ogunjobi was a bigger loss than most realized.  Hill was VERY effective when used in rotation with Ogunjobi, but last year seemed to stall out when he was taking the majority of snaps.  

Carter flashed, especially at the end of the season.  Having played that many snaps as a rookie (See, Marv?  It works) and gained that valuable experience, I could see Carter showing up around 300 lbs and being a bigger impact in 2023.  
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pretty much this.  Losing Ogunjobi was a bigger loss than most realized.  Hill was VERY effective when used in rotation with Ogunjobi, but last year seemed to stall out when he was taking the majority of snaps.  

Carter flashed, especially at the end of the season.  Having played that many snaps as a rookie (See, Marv?  It works) and gained that valuable experience, I could see Carter showing up around 300 lbs and being a bigger impact in 2023.  

Carter showing up this year would be a huge boon to this defense. 
It's easy to see the world in black and white. Grey? I don't know what to do with grey.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 05:34 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Sweeeeeet. Our DE depth chart is loaded. Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Basham, and Sample is a deep solid group. Gunter and Johnson are capable players too, but adding Basham to our depth chart is adding legit NFL production. Sacks, forced fumbles, fumble recoveries, blocked kicks, tipped balls, qb hits.

Quality addition. We already have our developmental DE prospect in Gunter from the draft last year and we have bigger needs at the top of the draft this year. I haven't even really looked at the DEs in the draft this year. You only have so many picks. I'm guessing they probably are no longer looking to draft one unless the value slaps them in the face.

Johnson who? Don't remember a End with the last name Johnson on the team?

But yeah, probably won't get an End now early unless Tyree Wilson somehow fell to 28 who could be great in the NFL.

(04-06-2023, 08:51 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Pretty much this.  Losing Ogunjobi was a bigger loss than most realized.  Hill was VERY effective when used in rotation with Ogunjobi, but last year seemed to stall out when he was taking the majority of snaps.  

Yes, need Carter to show up or need to add a 3-tech to take our pass rush to the next level.

(04-06-2023, 10:43 AM)Garrus Wrote: Carter showing up this year would be a huge boon to this defense. 

Of the players that could show up this year and really help this team the most. I would say they are Jackson Carman and Zach Carter.

If these guys make the jump into being studs our whole team would benefit immensely.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote:
Johnson who? Don't remember a End with the last name Johnson on the team?

But yeah, probably won't get an End now early unless Tyree Wilson somehow fell to 28 who could be great in the NFL.

Yes, need Carter to show up or need to add a 3-tech to take our pass rush to the next level.

Of the players that could show up this year and really help this team the most. I would say they are Jackson Carman and Zach Carter.

If these guys make the jump into being studs our whole team would benefit immensely.

Michael Johnson. He was part of the Fisher Price kids. He turned down the contract Dunlap wound up signing and went to Tampa Bay instead in 2014. He found the grass wasn't greener just because of more money and came back to the Bengals in 2015. He is the cautionary tale  that should be told to players who are happy where they are and go chasing a few more dollars elsewhere.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 08:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Michael Johnson. He was part of the Fisher Price kids. He turned down the contract Dunlap wound up signing and went to Tampa Bay instead in 2014. He found the grass wasn't greener just because of more money and came back to the Bengals in 2015. He is the cautionary tale  that should be told to players who are happy where they are and go chasing a few more dollars elsewhere.

Long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Johnson who? Don't remember a End with the last name Johnson on the team?

I saw a nice progression from Cam Sample in 2022.  If he can take another step with more pass rush presence on passing downs from the inside of the defensive line, it would be a very nice complement to Carter and Hill.  
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 01:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Johnson who? Don't remember a End with the last name Johnson on the team?

He was an UDFA in 2021 that played 15 games for the Giants. They cut him early last year and he has been with us ever since. Was on the PS all last year. Thought he looked pretty decent last preseason.
Reply/Quote
1 year. $961,000. Zero dead cap. Like Ford & Jones he isn't guaranteed a spot. But does have legitimate NFL experience which gives him a slight edge over Gunter. Like Jones has over George/Davis, and Ford has over Smith.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/cincinnati-bengals

My take on the DE room:

DE1: Hendrickson, Ossai, Basham, Gunter
DE2: Hubbard, C. Sample

We'll keep 5, but at least two will be edge setter/run stopper type DEs (Hubbard/Sample) while the others will be pass rushers first and foremost. A guy who can do both (Van Ness, White, Tuipulotu, Adebawore?) will be valued highly. As will DTs who can rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
(04-07-2023, 08:43 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Michael Johnson. He was part of the Fisher Price kids. He turned down the contract Dunlap wound up signing and went to Tampa Bay instead in 2014. He found the grass wasn't greener just because of more money and came back to the Bengals in 2015. He is the cautionary tale  that should be told to players who are happy where they are and go chasing a few more dollars elsewhere.

And here I thought it was because Tampa cut his ass, when he couldn't live up to the contract he signed on the strength of a career year in 2013.  His production fell off a cliff in 2014, and he was only moderately effective his remaining seasons in Cincinnati.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 08:31 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I saw a nice progression from Cam Sample in 2022.  If he can take another step with more pass rush presence on passing downs from the inside of the defensive line, it would be a very nice complement to Carter and Hill.  

Yes, Cam Sample is turning into a good player for sure. He could be the 3-tech we need and we don't even know it.

Honestly Mazi Smith the DT out of Michigan is flying up my boards for the pick at 28 if Darnell Wright isn't there now.

Mazi can stop the run and rush the passer and is the perfect dude to step in if DJ leaves. Mazi is a 3 down DT.

(04-08-2023, 09:32 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote:

He was an UDFA in 2021 that played 15 games for the Giants. They cut him early last year and he has been with us ever since. Was on the PS all last year. Thought he looked pretty decent last preseason.

Ahh, thanks, now I remember Raymond Johnson III. Thought he was decent at End last TC and Preseason.
Reply/Quote