Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bengals sign vet CB Chykie Brown
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/08/bengals-sign-veteran-cb-chykie-brown/

They also signed OT Darryl Baldwin. Both played for the Ravens. Brown saw action in 54 games, but wasn't on a team in 2015.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Yay? Mellow

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
OTA/Camp bodies.

Baldwin will probably be gone, after the draft, if we draft an OL in the first 5 rounds.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I just remember Chykie Brown getting burned on a regular basis. Yikes.
Reply/Quote
This is Marvin's way of letting everyone know he is not looking at drafting a corner or offensive lineman early.

Mellow
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:03 PM)Benton Wrote: This is Marvin's way of letting everyone know he is not looking at drafting a corner or offensive lineman early.

Mellow

Going OT in the first again. Bold strategy.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
Reply/Quote
Likely will end up being touted as the gems of the Bengals 2015-2016 offseason FA class. Ninja

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:06 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Going OT in the first again. Bold strategy.

My prediction has been (in no order) CB, LB, OL in the first three. But that's with the assumption we re-sign Jones or Sanu. If we don't — or don't pick up a vet — then I'm sticking with drafting those three unless Treadwell falls to 24 or Braxton Miller is there in the second.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:11 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Likely will end up being touted as the gems of the Bengals 2015-2016 offseason FA class.  Ninja

Mike Brown must be pushing Marv to identify players that will help us in FA again.  LOL ...[Image: sad-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif]
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:20 PM)Benton Wrote: My prediction has been (in no order) CB, LB, OL in the first three. But that's with the assumption we re-sign Jones or Sanu. If we don't — or don't pick up a vet — then I'm sticking with drafting those three unless Treadwell falls to 24 or Braxton Miller is there in the second.

I'm going with DL, LB, CB, and WR. I'm already counting on us needing a WR since Jones will most likely leave and we're doing nothing of significance in free agency to shore these spots up.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:26 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm going with DL, LB, CB, and WR. I'm already counting on us needing a WR since Jones will most likely leave and we're doing nothing of significance in free agency to shore these spots up.

If it goes in that order, I'll be a happy camper. My biggest complaint for years has been the lack of attention we've paid to the DL. I turned the TV off after we left Dupree sitting there last year.

Personally, I think we'll look at a veteran WR if Jones goes and we re-sign Sanu, somebody who will more likely be the backup #1 and not really the third receiving option.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:34 PM)Benton Wrote: If it goes in that order, I'll be a happy camper. My biggest complaint for years has been the lack of attention we've paid to the DL. I turned the TV off after we left Dupree sitting there last year.

Personally, I think we'll look at a veteran WR if Jones goes and we re-sign Sanu, somebody who will more likely be the backup #1 and not really the third receiving option.

It's already a thin market for WRs, and that's before franchise/transition tags are applied. Some decent to mediocre talent will probably get more than we're willing to hand out.

Maybe we can luck into Jermaine Kearse.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:26 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I'm going with DL, LB, CB, and WR. I'm already counting on us needing a WR since Jones will most likely leave and we're doing nothing of significance in free agency to shore these spots up.

I think it might be more along these lines:
LB, C, DT, CB/WR.

This year's DT class is very deep, so stock up on other positions early on.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:20 PM)Benton Wrote: My prediction has been (in no order) CB, LB, OL in the first three. But that's with the assumption we re-sign Jones or Sanu. If we don't — or don't pick up a vet — then I'm sticking with drafting those three unless Treadwell falls to 24 or Braxton Miller is there in the second.

This line of thought totally disregards the Bengals draft policy of taking the best player available instead of drafting for position. As well as the drafts have been working out for us, I doubt Marvin and crew are going to change now.......
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:03 PM)Benton Wrote: This is Marvin's way of letting everyone know he is not looking at drafting a corner or offensive lineman early.

Mellow

Rep.
Reply/Quote

Exactly.  You might include a safety on this list, since Reggie and Iloka will not both be returning.

And this is a copycat league.  Everyone saw the Super Bowl and will try to build a defense that can still win when your offense is inept.  

The Bengals are actually very close to Denver in terms of total defense.  I think all that is missing (it is a big piece) is a rush end that can get the kind of pressure created by Von Miller.  The Bengals get almost no "sudden" pressure from the RDE spot.  They are pretty solid on every other position, but that could end up being the first selection, if the right player is there.  
Reply/Quote
Bengals could go any way in the draft, they like to take the best player available, but they still factor in their needs.

With Thompson injured, Hardison not showing much, and Peko a year older I pretty much guarantee we will take a DT pretty high in the draft. Even if the team is high on Hardison I see him more as a back up to Atkins than a NT to replace Peko.

I see a lot of people have LB very high in draft priority, but I think all we need is a nickle package cover LB and we can find a niche player like that in free agency or later than the first two rounds. But Marvin has used some high picks on LBs (Pollack, Rivers, Maualuga) so you never know. I certainly would not complain if we got a good three down LB in the first two rounds.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:34 PM)Benton Wrote: If it goes in that order, I'll be a happy camper. My biggest complaint for years has been the lack of attention we've paid to the DL. I turned the TV off after we left Dupree sitting there last year.

Given the lack of good depth behind Green, you'd think they almost have to sign somebody.  This team doesn't always follow conventional logic, however.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if they lost MJ and did nothing to replace him in FA in order to receive a compensatory pick in the 2017 draft.  They really seem to value those picks.  

Unfortunately, going that route almost guarantees a need to draft a WR very early and hope that he can play immediately.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2016, 06:41 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: It's already a thin market for WRs, and that's before franchise/transition tags are applied. Some decent to mediocre talent will probably get more than we're willing to hand out.

Maybe we can luck into Jermaine Kearse.

Percy Harvin has Cincinnati written all over him.

As to the OP: I remember him coming out of college. Name is pronounced Shock-ee
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
chah-KEE, is the official pronunciation (if that matters).

Special teams guy, depth - just like Asa Jackson was.

They like Marcus Hardison - remember, he really flashed in the preseason and then injured his knee, so he wasn't able to play at the start and - like Margus Hunt - couldn't get into the rotation because everyone else was healthy. They also really like DeShawn Williams. I know - those aren't high round picks - but they are part of the team's initial plans in 2016 to see if they can earn rotation time. They might also make Wallace Gilberry expendable.

FWIW - Adolphus Washington told me he'd really like to hear from the Bengals in the run up the draft. He's a guy who could be there at 24.
Beat writer for Cincinnati.com & The Enquirer. Follow along on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Periscope.
Reply/Quote