Poll: How will Cte affect football in America?
Not at all. Overblown media hype.
Slightly. We love football to much to care.
A decent amount. Rules will have to be drastically changed.
Huge. Children won't play the game as much and it will die out.
Medical advances will fix this.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CTE Study
(07-27-2017, 10:59 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Concussions are so overblown at the moment.  Players know the risk and outside of equipment advances not much else should be done.

No, they are not. I talked with one of my parents about this same thing and the look on his face was priceless. The studies to make informed decisions have just started coming out recently. It'll take a while for this to catch up to them. 
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
 [Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 08:24 AM)Hoofhearted Wrote: No, they are not. I talked with one of my parents about this same thing and the look on his face was priceless. The studies to make informed decisions have just started coming out recently. It'll take a while for this to catch up to them. 

The NFL's concussion protocol isn't about any research. It's lawyers covering themselves so they aren't sued.

The players know the risks. Let them decide what they want to do.... we have some who just retire and that's fine.
Reply/Quote
I think that the CTE study is a scary thing and should be taken very seriously. With that being said I think the NFL and the football community have done a good job in recent years on handling concussions and are taking seriously.
I am 28 so my football days are long over but I am going to struggle on wether my kids should play or not.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
CTE DOESN'T JUST COME FROM CONCUSSIONS

If we want to have an informed debate/discussion people have to stop connecting concussions to CTE. They are two separate issues. You can get a handful of concussions in your life and not get CTE. CTE comes from all of the smaller jarring hits that players take on EVERY SINGLE play.
Reply/Quote
(07-27-2017, 11:28 AM)UDWhoDey Wrote: This is scary stuff.  I was an undersized linebacker in High School.  I made up for lack of size by being fearless and aggressive.  I considered getting my bell rung to be normal - didn't phase me as long as I made the tackle.  Played 2 years of semipro football, more of the same, but moved to CB and S.  Most of the bell ringing was in practices versus games.  In practices you make 10-15 tackles, 3-days a week.  In a game you make 5-10 tackles, and less 1-on-1 full speed as in practice.  Now I am glad I did not play in college - yikes.  Getting blocked not a big issue (other than protecting knees).

They need to have a rule where you can't use your helmet with force for any part of the tackle.  The helmet should be for protection from others - using your facemask as the tip of a missile should be a flag.  But you have to balance with calling a runner "down" faster, can't reward the runner for rules changes.

A lot of the problem is with interior linemen, which is where I played.  You are correct, the most chances of getting your bell rung was in practice.  Angle tackle drills, etc can really lead to some vicious hits.....I know the two hardest licks I ever received/gave were in an angle tackle drill in practice, and on a kickoff.  That said, line play leads to hits to the head on nearly every play.  Being a little undersized, I relied more heavily on angles, technique, quickness, and more often than not, just riding the defender out of the play, which probably saved my brain quite a bit.  There were those pulling plays, etc that led to heavy contact, and I certainly got hit in the head/used the head more on defense.  

I won't even get into the car wrecks.....gives me a little concern, to say the least.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 12:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: A lot of the problem is with interior linemen, which is where I played.  You are correct, the most chances of getting your bell rung was in practice.  Angle tackle drills, etc can really lead to some vicious hits.....I know the two hardest licks I ever received/gave were in an angle tackle drill in practice, and on a kickoff.  That said, line play leads to hits to the head on nearly every play.  Being a little undersized, I relied more heavily on angles, technique, quickness, and more often than not, just riding the defender out of the play, which probably saved my brain quite a bit.  There were those pulling plays, etc that led to heavy contact, and I certainly got hit in the head/used the head more on defense.  

I won't even get into the car wrecks.....gives me a little concern, to say the least.

As long as you don't look like that Stooler fan in your sig... :andy:
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 12:47 PM)Wyche Wrote: A lot of the problem is with interior linemen, which is where I played.  You are correct, the most chances of getting your bell rung was in practice.  Angle tackle drills, etc can really lead to some vicious hits.....I know the two hardest licks I ever received/gave were in an angle tackle drill in practice, and on a kickoff.  That said, line play leads to hits to the head on nearly every play.  Being a little undersized, I relied more heavily on angles, technique, quickness, and more often than not, just riding the defender out of the play, which probably saved my brain quite a bit.  There were those pulling plays, etc that led to heavy contact, and I certainly got hit in the head/used the head more on defense.  

Is there anyway for an offensive lineman to make blocks without using there heads on the play?I agree with you CTE seems most prominent with O lineman. Not trying to be a dick serious question.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 02:48 PM)J24 Wrote: Is there anyway for an offensive lineman to make blocks without using there heads on the play?I agree with you CTE seems most prominent with O lineman. Not trying to be a dick serious question.

Probably not at the NFL level, but if a play is running to your left, you can essentially step your right foot back and anchor yourself with your back facing the direction of the play, and use your hands to more or less let the defender take himself out of the play by pushing him to the ground or just getting in the way of pursuit and "riding him out of the play" as they call it.  I also used to get lower than them and kinda hit them in the waist or thighs and knock their legs out from under them.  You're absolutely going to take shots to the head up front, but there are techniques that allow you to use leverage, angles, etc to minimize contact to the head while controlling the path the defender must take.  I hope all of that made sense, it's much easier to show you in person than it is to describe.

I didn't think you were trying to be a dick at all. :andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 11:42 AM)Yojimbo Wrote: CTE DOESN'T JUST COME FROM CONCUSSIONS

If we want to have an informed debate/discussion people have to stop connecting concussions to CTE. They are two separate issues. You can get a handful of concussions in your life and not get CTE. CTE comes from all of the smaller jarring hits that players take on EVERY SINGLE play.

Its not gonna get better I don't think..

Every year they(the players) are bigger and stronger and faster than the last.

This could lead to all contact sports being banned and taco bell being the only restraunt
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 03:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its not gonna get better I don't think..

This could lead to all contact sports being banned and taco bell being the only restraunt

I think what could end up happening is a disclaimer in contracts stating they accept the known risk or some kind of lifetime health insurance and CTE symptom services (counseling, medications, etc)
Reply/Quote
(07-28-2017, 03:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Its not gonna get better I don't think..

We are gonna be needing Demolition Man brought out of Cryo Prison dude!
Reply/Quote
Contact sports will never be banned in my lifetime and not likely in anyone elses here simply because of the vast sums of money being spent. 
Consider that nearly every war is fought for the purpose of protecting someone else's wealth, not ours, the powers that be will never stop putting someone else's kids in harms way. 
This is modern day gladiatorism. As long as the rich and powerful get to call the shots the rest of us will have to settle for blood sport. We get the entertainment and they get to rule over us. It's been like this since Roman times and probably long before then. 
Players are well paid, but they typically don't get to rule nations. That's reserved for people who have no regard for human life and are willing to let thousands and even millions die for them. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
People still box and do MMA and join the Army and ride motorcycles....it isn't exciting if it isn't dangerous, right?
Reply/Quote